how i hosed my macbook 5,1 (first gen unibody)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 85Yota4x4, Nov 28, 2010.

1. 85Yota4x4 macrumors newbie

long time mac user, first time poster.

i have a first-generation unibody macbook (aluminum 2ghz 13.3").

somehow the glass screen got cracked last year (damn dog...)

i found a new glass screen (glass only, not the whole lid) on ebay. nowhere had instructions on how to replace the thing, and ifixit had limited info on getting it apart that far. long story short, i took the lid off to replace the glass screen. turns out, i just needed to heat-gun the border of the glass and peel it off, stick on the new one. live and learn, i guess.

long story short... i broke something. wifi no longer works, bluetooth doesn't work, and the reed switch is completely hosed (if i close the lid, it goes to sleep, but then wakes back up right away. as long as the lid closed, it just cycles back and forth between sleep and awake). if i turn the macbook off, it magically turns itself back on (with the screen opened or closed).

the good news is that my screen is no longer cracked.

it's definitely usable (been this way for about a year now), but i would like to be able to close the screen and bring the laptop different places. having wifi again would be super cool.

do i have any options here? there's no apple store near me (closest is over 200 miles away). if i went to visit my parents for christmas and hit up a Mac Genius at an apple store, would they laugh me out of the store and throw my macbook at me?

i've taken it apart a few times since, and all the connectors seem cool, and i don't see any glaring issues. isight camera still works.

any ideas?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

chances are it was the ...
    ;)

Apple would be happy to fix it for you, for a price. However, do you have any authorized Mac resellers and repair shops nearby?

3. 85Yota4x4 thread starter macrumors newbie

there's one authorized reseller, but they're insanely over-priced. i assume i'd have to 'just' get a new logicboard?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you broke a cable/connector which may result in either
    a) new screen
    b) new cable/connector
    c) new logic board

I'm not sure

5. 85Yota4x4, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

85Yota4x4 thread starter macrumors newbie

there was one pin that looked a little funky on the display data cable connector:

[​IMG]

would anyone happen to have a pinout for this cable so i can see if it would be related? also, source on this cable? ebay doesn't seem to have anything for my model...

edit: does the LVDS cable carry any data other than for the LCD? i would imagine i have a problem in some cable such as this, *if* that cable carries data for the airport/bluetooth/reed switch as well...

6. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

IIRC, there are a few cables out the other side. AirPort is inside the black plastic housing of the display, but I believe it gets it's connection to the logic board via a separate cable on the SuperDrive side. Same for Bluetooth.

7. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

hmm dont let this turn into a money pit at times we should cut our loss.
    at this point its trial and error spending money to see what will fix the system

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

When was the last time you checked IFixIt? Perhaps they've updated their manual? Good Luck....

9. Goonies macrumors newbie

Yes, this would be very great, also for my machine!
    My MacBook Unibody Alu had many problems after a liquid spill...
    I repaired nearly all defective components.
    But the LED-backlight doesn't do anything since the repair...

Therefore it would be very helpfull to get the pinout of the display connector.

Perhaps someone knows it: Is the LED-Backlight driven via this cable?

Best Regards
    Georg

10. free-refil macrumors newbie

Yes, the backlight control and video data run on the lvds cable, the other cable is for the camera and wifi... I recently performed this repair to replace the glass and LCD on my A1278 2.0GHz As for your magnetic reed switch, are you sure you did not move or dislodge any magnets during the course of your repair? Check ifixit.com's pictures for the location of the magnets.... At this point, your best bet may be to try to replace the entire display. You'll need to disassemble the glass to get to the magnets to ensure they're in place correctly, which could result in bad glass ($50), plus you may be needing to replace the wifi/camera cable as well ($50) since you no longer have that and you said you saw messed up pins on the connector. I'd start off by removing the lower cover and ensuring the connectors are seated properly and reverifying the pins.... If you can get your wifi/BT working again, perhaps the sleep function can be something you can tolerate.... If worse comes to worse, there are used in good condition replacement displays for ~$200 on eBay...