How I imagine the 2012 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i4Collin, Nov 4, 2011.

1. i4Collin, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

i4Collin macrumors regular

No more 13 inch Pro
    15 inch:
    $1799
    -Ivy Bridge Processor
    -High Res glossy or matte display
    -4GB Ram
    -128GB SSD or 500GB 5400RPM HDD, optional 256GB SSD or 750GB 5400RPM HDD
    -up to 10 hours of battery life
    -no optical drive
    $2199
    -Upgraded Ivy Bridge Processor
    - high res glossy or matte display
    -8GB Ram
    -256GB SSD or 750GB 5400RPM HDD, optional 512GB SSD
    -up to 10 hours of battery life
    -no optical drive
    15 inch release: May 2012
    17 inch comes late 2012
    Only time will tell

Attached Files:

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Definitely the most realistic prediction I've see. I think the SSD may be standard but regular HDDs will still be available as options.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

just curious why you predict optical drives will no long exist

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

128GB SSD and 256GB SSD are not enough for Pro users. Maybe they can sing with air users, but not pro users who do intensive gaming, video editing and photo editing.

Apple will have to figure out something else.

iCloud might be one of the way, but it still isn't enough and it is still in the early stage.

I need at least 500GB storage as a pro user.

6. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

Steve Jobs was always about efficiency and portability and by taking the optical drive out, it would free up a lot of space and reduce energy consumption. I'm sure Apple will find away to make it easier for those who still do use the optical drive in order to keep the customers that do need it.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed, GarageBand and iMovie and Photoshop users could not get by on 128GB

8. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

They will probably still have standard HDDs, as this is a Pro laptop, but I just didn't put it in yet.

9. WarpSpawn macrumors member

Personally, I think it will take at least one more update of the Air before they can safely abolish the 13" MBP. As it stands at the moment, it is just too difficult a decision for many as to whether they can manage with the Air. They would probably need to bring it down to the same price point as the entry level MBP as well.

And yes, I know they risked alienating people with the removal of the white MB from the lineup but this at least was looking a little long in the tooth and in need of an update itself.

10. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

Considering that Apple charges $500 on top for the upgrade to a 256GB SSD I highly doubt that they are going to offer it as a standard option. Maybe they'll reduce the cost of the upgrade but I just don't see them offering it at no additional cost. I think that at the most we might see 128GB standard.

I hope that instead of removing the optical drive they offer the option of either getting an optical drive or SSD + HDD as opposed to a larger battery. If they did that then a 128GB SSD standard could actually work for more people.

As for the RAM, I think that if they up the base RAM in the high end models it would make more sense for them to offer 8GB. They don't even offer 6GB as an option.

11. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Did I just hear you put 'gamer' and 'pro' in the same line?

12. Meever macrumors 6502a

I think 1650x1400 or whatever will be standard. I'm thinking:

Base:
    High Res standard (no option for matte)
    Ivy Bridge midrange quad cpu
    128gb+500gb HDD @ 5400rpm (option to upgrade ssd to 256 or 512)
    Ati 7750 w/ 512mb ram
    $100 bump in price

High End:
    High Res standard (option for matte)
    Slightly higher spec'd Ivy Bridge CPU
    128gb+750gb HDD @ 5400rpm (option to upgrade ssd to 256 or 512)
    Ati 7770 w/ 1gb ram.
    $100 bump in price

No more CD Drive. Single USB 3.0 port. Two USB 2.0 port. Thunderbolt. Mic in. 3.55mm out. Thinner. Larger battery capacity with 30 day sleep.

Or we might just get the same design Unibody with a new gut again....

We are for sure getting ati 77?? cards, Ivy Bridge and usb 3.0 though.

13" Pro being gone makes sense. 11" Air is the Macbook replacement. Then clearly the 13" is the Macbook Pro 13" replacement. Performance and price gap isn't very big and they overlap in function.

13. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

You're way off base with the removal of the 13" from the line. It's the number 1 selling laptop they have. Just my opinion.

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I thought the air was top selling?

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

16. iamthedudeman, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

No it isn't.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...r-becomes-apples-best-selling-notebook/72137/

The Air form factor is the future. Apple even said it themselves. Heck, Steve Jobs said it himself.

The 13 Macbook pro is redundant. No need for it. The next MacBook Air will use Ivy bridge processor. It will give %50 more GPU power at the same wattage of existing sandybridge. Even now. There isn't much difference between the two as far as performance goes. The Air is actually faster due to the SSD. Stick in a SSD in the Macbook pro and they are the same price. But the form factor of the Air is way superior.

Only Apple needs to do is put more Ram in the Air. That's it. Or make it upgradeable. I don't see a 13 MacBook pro next time. Why? If the Pro models are getting a similar form factor as the Air. What would be the point?

No optical drives will be on the MacBook pro. MacMini gone, Next imac, gone, next Macbook pro, gone and already gone on the Air. Apple has a history of forcing people into new technology.

HD's are a thing of the past. Most likely gone or will be gone soon. No need for them. You drive down price's of SSD by making more of them, and implementing them. The Size of the SSD is not a major factor for people, as the Air is the best selling laptop Apple makes.

Most likely the rumored Air 15 inch is actually the next macbook pro, not a Air. I don't think they will be as thin as the Air will be. A GPU has to go somewhere, but I see a 15 being a pound lighter, same goes for the 17 model.

11 Air, and 13.3 Air.

15 MBP and 17 MBP.

All with SSD for the Air, possible hybrid HD plus SSD for the MacBook Pro. Blade drives for all.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You're a little off there – Ivy Bridge is projected to give up to a twenty percent increase in CPU performance, not fifty.

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

mine is better:

13"
    i5 dual core
    4 gigs of ram
    128 gb ssd, 750gb/1tb optional, 256/512 ssd optional
    keeps optical drive
    intel integrated graphics
    1440x900 resolution
    usb3
    removed firewire and add an audio in jack

15" low-end
    i7 quad core
    8 gigs of ram
    128 gb ssd, 750gb/1tb optional, 256/512 ssd optional
    keeps optical drive
    ati 7770 1gb ram
    usb3

15"/17" high-end
    i7 quad core
    8 gigs of ram
    256 gb ssd, 750gb/1tb optional, 512 ssd optional
    keeps optical drive
    ati 7770 2gb ram
    usb3

I also think that they will take the remote IR sensor off and offer a bluetooth solution. Who uses the remote anyway? They even got rid of frontrow in lion.

19. jdsingle macrumors regular

Why would anyone want them to put SSD and more RAM into their products as a standard option?!? You will be paying more than you will if you just purchase the upgrades on the side. I doubt the majority of these predictions of them bumping up RAM and making SSD first choice are likely.

Also, if we're assuming that the optical drive is gone and that they are throwing an SSD in there, no point in not using the extra space for either an extremely large and weird shaped battery or a 2nd internal HDD.

"agreed, GarageBand and iMovie and Photoshop users could not get by on 128GB"

I'm going to assume that the above comment is referencing a lack of a secondary internal HDD? I'm running on a 160GB (w/750GB) and Logic is over 50GB itself with all the content and I'm doing just fine without needing more space.

20. Freyqq macrumors 68040

8 gb of ram is ~$40. There is no excuse not to have 8 gb standard in a $2000 computer. With USB3 and firewire 800 in ivy bridge, there's no reason not to use external drives for large-scale storage. Does the average user really need more than 128 gb with them on the go? Also, the optical drive will probably remain, so you can always mod it to have a 2nd hd.

21. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Sorry, forgot to add GPU. Fixed.

Edit: more like %60 more GPU power over sandy bridge.

22. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

A lot of average users run bootcamp and installing Windows cuts away at least 60 GB and since most people would run Windows to play some games that 60 GB is reall the lower limit.
    I do neither audio nor video work but developement which mostly only needs small files, usually easily compressible and my OSX parition can do with 110GB but use your computer like most young people for watching movies and TV shows they take up a lot of space (it is just annoying to delete everything immediately again. Same is music libraries and a music libraries is most useful on the system.
    Also managing data on different locations like internal and external works today quite well in Windows but OSX lacks just about everything. Even if you know your way around it is a bit of a hassle. The it just works simple notion of most common Mac Fans is just non existent anymore once you start using external drives for more than mere backups.

Also a HDD is 9.5mm thick or 7mm the slimm ones if one wants to it can work in hybrid solutions. Considering that if you want to put a somewhat decent GPU into a MBP you won't be able to make it much thinner than that anyway (cooling tech advancements have been rather poor). No reason to cripple it that much by reducing the HD bay completely. A hybrid solution would be the way to go, one that would be transparent to the User if done the way Apple used to do things.

23. jdsingle macrumors regular

Facepalm. Really? I just double checked and an 8GB upgrade on Apple is $200. Last I checked, $200 is a heck of a lot more than $40 and it wouldn't seem logical for Apple to upgrade the RAM and not try and get the money they have been getting for it.

I've had USB3 and it honestly isn't that exciting. I'll stick to FW. I'm going to let you sit there and think about answering your question. Assuming that the optical drive remains, like you say, is 128GB really enough for the average user? My gf has 300GB worth of documents, programs, music, and pictures. This is a laptop, she's not going to want to carry around an external drive anytime she wants to access these items. My grandma isn't going to either, nor anyone else I know. But let's argue that there is always the cloud and that eliminates the need for us to store anything on the computer. There are a lot of people who use computers and do not connect to the internet all the time. I'm a heavy user because of my audio programs and even I don't want to use the cloud for anything besides documents.

24. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Apple may be charging $200, but that doesn't mean you can't find it cheaper elsewhere.

25. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

A 17" Air looking Pro is going to look like a cookie sheet. :)