how imminent is the 16gb iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanAgee, Jan 23, 2008.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

I'm planning to go out tomorrow and buy my iPhone. However, I'm a little reluctant as the Buyer's Guide here on MacRumors says to hold off. Now, for me I consider the recent software update a pretty decent update and don't think we should expect a hardware update soon.

What do you guys think?

2. nate94gt macrumors member

buy it now. You cant keep chasing electronics, man, you'll never win.

3. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Yeah, I understand that... However, I bought a PowerMac G5 about a week before the Mac Pro came out :) I'm trying to avoid similar pain this time around.

4. paul17win macrumors member

paul17win

dont live in the past, i just bought mine and its amazing, if an update comes out just sell your iphone and buy the new one if you really want it:apple:

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

how often do you listen to all 16gb of music?

6. nate94gt macrumors member

a larger iphone wont be out for awhile.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Very True. The only advantage would be TV Shows, Photos or Movies. Other than that, who listens to all 16GB of music?

8. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Nobody knows. And I think it won't be out for a while now that MacWorld passed. And I don't think the buyers guide is reliable for this, since I mean they have not even one reference on how Apple times the iPhone hardware updates.

9. klimegreen macrumors newbie

32 gb

The question is when is the 32 gb version available? i will wait past the 16gb release! just kidding. I've had my 8gb iPhone since July and I think 5gb is in use. I really don't think 2x memory will matter that much, heck that just managing a playlist in iTunes a little better.

10. yayaba macrumors 6502

I have an 8gig and I still have 2 gigs free on it. I'm just too lazy to throw more music on there as I like to tag the music before I sync it.

11. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

i think it's gonna be out when the 3G iphone is released. apple won't be updating it probably...

and when will 3G be released? I think it will be exactly 1 year after the original iphone was released.

12. sigamy macrumors 65816

I think the 16gb is coming with the SDK. I think Apple will hold one of their "special events" to announce the SDK, some 3rd party apps that are already available, and the 16gb iPhone. And maybe a price drop on the 8gb to $349.

If you can wait until early March, I would...

ps--And in this world of 80gb and 160gb iPods I can't believe so many people are asking why someone would need a 16gb iPhone!

13. Phish311 macrumors regular

Who needs 16gb iphone???

I DO. I have two external hard drives, both 500 GB that are both 75% full of music. I listen to a ton of music and lots of live shows. I really wish they could throw us an 80 gb iphone or even larger. I know most people wont have a use for all this space, but i do

14. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

buy it now-- if something comes out in the next two weeks, just return it and take a hit on the restocking fee if you really want it-- you could use buyer's remorse as the reason-- could have done that with your computer!

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

don't do it. iPhone 4 with a TB of storage, gigabit data transfer, and a 500 hour battery will be released in 2025 for $99. You should wait.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think that's right. The buyer's guide just goes by average time between updates, and since there's never been an iphone update (we're still on 1st gen), that guide doesn't mean anything.

17. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I think we may see a memory size increase if/when they hold a conference when the SDK is officially released. With more programs available, people are really going to want even more space for their applications and media.

I've got to think Jobs and company will hold some sort of a press event to announce the SDK release... doesn't seem like something that will just appear on iTunes or the developer website one day.

18. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

I think I'll wait for my "economic stimulus package" from Uncle Sam to buy my iPhone, so hopefully by then the 16 GB iPhone will either be announced or out. :)