HomePod How is classical music on HomePod?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by subjonas, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. subjonas macrumors 68000

Have any HomePod owners given it a good test with classical or symphonic music? I’m hoping it’s not just made for pop music.

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65832

I have and it sounds great. The HomePod is great at detail and this comes through with classical. I played some from Apple Music and Tidal.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

4. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

Agreed. I listened to some Apple Music Classical, Pops, and Broadway. Music was clear, with good definition of instruments (piano, harp, violin) and vocals were excellent!

5. kschles macrumors regular

kschles

Good classical recordings sound great. I do find some classical albums to be pretty mediocre, sound wise. Of course, that’s not the Homepod’s fault.

6. macworksgreat macrumors regular

macworksgreat

Really good...listening to Bach at the moment.

7. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

So far I've tried my HomePod with various types of music, and I would say that the sound is less immediately impressive with classical, although the clarity and quality is exceptional. It could be that fully capturing the sound of a symphony orchestra, for example, is really something that you need a couple of HomePods to do justice to.

I will be trying that this weekend, as I have several of these to set up and experiment with. At the moment I'm listening to the Beethoven Violin Concerto, Wolfgang Schneiderhan on violin, with Eugen Jochum conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. a 1962 recording I have in my iTunes library (ripped from CD to Apple Lossless). The sound is excellent.

8. MacBird macrumors 6502a

I changed the EQ setting from 'off' to 'classical' which helps, otherwise it's too bass-heavy. I tested it with Shostakovich's 5th symphony.

9. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

10. mzanker, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018

mzanker macrumors regular

I find the main issue with classical music is getting Siri to understand me (UK English). She found it quite difficult to understand "Sibelius" and kept suggesting the names of modern artists whose names begin with S and have 4 syllables. Also, Siri appears to prioritise modern music - when asking her to play Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor, she played ELO's version :)

11. MacBird macrumors 6502a

On an iOS device, go to Settings > Music > EQ and use AirPlay.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2018 ---
    I gave up on Siri for classical music very quickly. :) I find it easier to select the right work in the Music app and use AirPlay. That way, I can also use the “classical” EQ setting and it sounds less like a rock concert. :)

12. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Listening to Vivaldi - Four Seasons now. Lovely. Just get it and try it.

13. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

I'm using the HomePod mostly as an Airplay speaker for my own collection. I spent the last few weeks maniacally ripping some box sets (hint my avatar hint) losslessly and moving them to my music server (an SSD-bearing 2010 mac mini wired to my router). I'm very happy with the results, although so far I've been working at the quieter end of the spectrum -- solo or chamber music.

I suspect that classical music on Apple Music remains the basic big bag of hurt as it was in 2015, when I tried the trial and found it a trial. I will likely try it again at some point, though, because the Apple music world has always been about the accumulation of features over time.

14. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

15. karnsculpture macrumors regular

Have only listened to some of Ryuichi Sakamoto's soundtrack work which is orchestral and it sounded beautiful. The best so far was Nightporter by Japan. I thought David Sylvian was in the room with me.

16. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

Discovered another capability this morning - I can play different music to two different HomePods. I'm not sure if they both can be from my iTunes library, though. I do have some music in my iTunes library that I've purchased from iTunes over the years, so those limited pieces are accessible using Siri.

17. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

There are no EQ settings for Homepod, the EQ settings don't do anything.

18. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Thanks for asking the question.
    I'm interested to hear what buyers have experienced.
    So true.
    Though I also think that is Apple Music as well. Classical is not high on their list.
    Exactly. Not a great Classical music experience.

19. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I've been testing mine on and off since it arrived yesterday and i can honestly say that all genres of music sound great on the HomePod, i'm really impressed with the amount of detail that each song gives, i don't know the technological reasons behind it but i've heard new bits to songs that i have never heard before (guitar, noise in the background and so on).

20. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Great conductor — one of the under rated ones.
    Excellent performance…

21. Macalway macrumors 68030

You're positive about this, so he's imagining it?

22. MacBird macrumors 6502a

23. Macalway macrumors 68030

Ok, so this post is not very helpful. It's hard to tell if your being sarcastic or not. That link seems to be informative and the 26 comments don't seem to contradict the article.

So in other words, you can apparently adjust EQ with airplay. This other fellow is posting in numerous threads that EQ cannot be adjusted manually. I read this and perhaps mistakenly believed it. Goes to show you how utterly confused I am :D

24. marconiusrex macrumors regular

marconiusrex

I agree. She had not idea who Francois Couperin was! ;-0

25. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

The article linked to above does show how to adjust equalization - I have just tried experimenting with it, while playing music from my iTunes library (not Apple Music), and trying various manual adjustments that were deliberately large enough so that I could easily tell if it made a difference, repeating portions of a particular track after making changes. It does work with the HomePod.

From the article:

------------

First, open iTunes and connect to HomePod by clicking on the AirPlay icon located to the right of the volume slider. Select HomePod and begin music playback.

Next, navigate to Window > Equalizer in the menu bar and either select a preset or drag the frequency sliders to increase or decrease volumes of individual frequencies. The Preamp slider controls adjustments to overall volume of all frequencies, but these modifications can come at a cost to fidelity.

------------

I then went to my iPhone and made changes there, using the 'Music' settings. This did not affect the setting for EQ in iTunes.

By the way, it takes a short period of time for settings made using iTunes on the computer to get to the HomePod, maybe just a second or two but there is a lag. I suspect that there is some buffering going on, and so the HomePod takes a short amount of time to adjust to anything changed from the computer. This is also what I've observed when changing volume levels or song selections, anything that affects what the speaker is being told to do.