Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I am thinking about buying one. I have 2 minis, but the bass isn't brilliant for movies.

What's Dolby Atmos like? Does it work playing movies from 3rd party apps? (VLC for example).

Have you compared it to any other devices?

Is it more 3.1 than 5.1 or not great?

Thanks for your feedback :)

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Have you tried the Dolby demo's and test on Youtube. You say that you have (2) minis now, are they now paired (stereo)?
I only have the HomePod mini setup in Stereo. I have tried many demos. Especially the Dolby ones. They sound really decent, just lacking in bass with films.

I am surprised Apple doesn’t allow a HomePod to be used at the front and two home pod minis for the rear speakers.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
I only have the HomePod mini setup in Stereo. I have tried many demos. Especially the Dolby ones. They sound really decent, just lacking in bass with films.

I am surprised Apple doesn’t allow a HomePod to be used at the front and two home pod minis for the rear speakers.
Agree with you. That is why I have kept my sound system and not moved to the HomePods an my primary source.

Liv1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
I did use 2 homepods in Theatre mode for about 6 months and found them OK but Armos sounds wasn't great nor surround, so I sold them on eBay and bought a sonos ARC instead the difference is like night and day so I am very happy I sold the homepods as the Arc is so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.