Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themacintoshman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Butler, PA
Hey everyone, I really want a new iPhone 3G S, but I went to my local AT&T store earlier today to check my upgrade eligibility, and because I got the iPhone 3G at launch, I'm not eligible for an upgrade until March 2010. If you remember last year, AT&T let people who had the original iPhone upgrade to the 3G for the normal price. Too bad they didn't do this again. My question to people that upgraded from the 3G to the 3G S is, how did you do it? Did you pay the full asking price, or did you have an upgrade from before? Reading the forums, it seems like a lot of people have upgraded, and I can't imagine everyone paying $500/$600. I'm a big Apple fan, and I'd love to have the newest iPhone, but there is no way I would pay that much for the new features, especially because they should've been in the first two iPhones. Any help on how I could get it for a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Could try selling it on Ebay to offset the cost, though I probably wouldn't want to tell you that because it lowers the chances of me selling my iPhone 3G, lol. You could wait a year and wait for a REAL upgrade, possibly one that can use 4G or even one with a different carrier, that's what you really should do because you'd be falling victim to Apple's plan of not upgrading the 3G camera AT ALL from the 2G camera so that they'd have some "amazing" feature to sell off in the 3G. But if you can manage to sell your 3G for like $300-$400, you're set, though then you'll have to sell your 3GS next year because I can almost guarantee that you'll want next year's iPhone when you see how much better it is.

ajpak

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
No other way around it unless you go through a big hassle of adding a new line etc etc. I coughed up 560$ for my 32gb 3G and i couldn't be more happy from the phone. It is a lot faster which is key for me because im on the phone texting 24/7. If you sell your iphone 3G for 350 - 400$ you will just be paying around 100$ more which is what i did.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I sold my 16GB 3G on eBay for $379 (was in near mint condition with box and all the stuff)... and then I did go through the "hassle" of adding a new line. It really wasn't too much trouble though, I had a good manager at the AT&T store set me up good. They made me eligible early for the $499 price on the 32GB 3GS, but still that was a lot for me to pony up at once so instead I opted to pay the extra $10 per month for the second line, even though I won't use it. At that rate it would take 20 months for me to pay the $200 over the subsidized $299 price anyway, and it's more convenient. And all I had to do was tell them to put the old number on the new iPhone. They didn't flinch.

I also wanna say that going from the 3G to the 3GS has honestly surpassed my expectations. Like many I figured it's such a minor update... but seriously, it just feels like a better phone. All around. The speed, couple extra features, the feel of it all. I'm really happy I got it.

themacintoshman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Butler, PA
Could try selling it on Ebay to offset the cost, though I probably wouldn't want to tell you that because it lowers the chances of me selling my iPhone 3G, lol. You could wait a year and wait for a REAL upgrade, possibly one that can use 4G or even one with a different carrier, that's what you really should do because you'd be falling victim to Apple's plan of not upgrading the 3G camera AT ALL from the 2G camera so that they'd have some "amazing" feature to sell off in the 3G. But if you can manage to sell your 3G for like $300-$400, you're set, though then you'll have to sell your 3GS next year because I can almost guarantee that you'll want next year's iPhone when you see how much better it is.
Yea I probably will end up just waiting for next years upgrade, but doesn't make you mad how Apple couldn't just add video recording with the 3.0 update? They could still use the camera as a selling point for the 3G S, because it would have better quality because of the upped megapixels, and it would still have auto-focus.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Yea I probably will end up just waiting for next years upgrade, but doesn't make you mad how Apple couldn't just add video recording with the 3.0 update? They could still use the camera as a selling point for the 3G S, because it would have better quality because of the upped megapixels, and it would still have auto-focus.
Well the 3G camera still lacks the ability to do 30 fps if I'm not mistaken, it would have to do 15 fps (this is what some jailbreak apps can do) which absolutely sucks. Again dude try and sell your phone for $400, it can't hurt to try and if you do, you get to enjoy video recording because who knows, you might be around a major event that would be shown on CNN and you could record the video and upload it right away to youtube! But in real terms, you might not even end up using video record THAT OFTEN, you would probably only appreciate the speed difference for the first week or two, and you probably won't use the compass that often, so maybe you don't need to upgrade that badly, but at least try!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I paid the $499 for the black 32 GB model. Yeah, kinda took it in the pants, but still worth it. I'll sell my 16 GB 3G and offset most of it.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I don't think that it is worth to pay extra $200 for new one. I won't do that. my iphone 3G is just fine. I went to Apple store to play it around. voice control is seemed to be valuable. but compass? I don't know. camera with video capability? well, I always carry my sony DSLR camera. so I don't have to worry about it. I don't still like photo quality whatsoever. but in the end, I will buy one when contract will be closed to end.

dustinl4m3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Although I activated 2 new 16gb 3Gs on launch day 2008, I was able to upgrade to the 3GS on one of the lines for $199.

A friend of mine has a first gen iPhone unlocked on T-Mobile. The screen failed, and I let them borrow one of our original iPhone SIMs so they could get warranty support at Apple. Apple activated the phone using the SIM, and I had to call and cancel it (they reset the 3G to the original $20/month iPhone plan). Somehow during all this debacle, the original contract date got reset, so that line became available for upgrade. So here in front of me sits a brand new iPhone 3GS @ $199. I can't explain it entirely, but I won't complain! :)

The other line (primary on family plan) shows upgrade March 2010. Whatever.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
This makes NO sense to me whatsoever.

I bought my phone JANUARY of this year. I am eligible in January of 2010.

My dad bought his 3G mid last year, and cant upgrade until may of 2010.

Is this cause were on a family plan and possibly over $100 a month?

themacintoshman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Butler, PA
This makes NO sense to me whatsoever.

I bought my phone JANUARY of this year. I am eligible in January of 2010.
My dad bought his 3G mid last year, and cant upgrade until may of 2010.

Is this cause were on a family plan and possibly over $100 a month?

Are you sure it isn't January 2011? The way you said it, that's a one year upgrade. It should be every two years.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Are you sure it isn't January 2011? The way you said it, that's a one year upgrade. It should be every two years.

Yeah. Here is my upgrade message.

13474687.jpg

Axl Rose

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
i just got my iphone in october and for kicks i called that number to see if i can uprade..and apparently i can, im on a family...which might be equal to 100 for my phone a month but i dont know how much the bill is in the first place...odd

Tannerozzy

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Waco, Texas
I think you've misunderstood. If you bought your 3G last summer then you should be eligible for subsidized pricing from at&t RIGHT NOW. I bought my 3G last summer and I just got the 3GS for $199. Double check how much it will cost you to upgrade through the Apple store.
As for my 3G, I went with buymytronics.com. My $218 check is on its way. Nothing like a faster phone + some cash!

titaniummd

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
When the new phone came out, it was a mixed blessing. I had just bought the 3G when the announcement was made 4 days later. I was not going to do the exchange but AT&T said I can pre-order the 3G S but pay a restocking fee. I went ahead and did it that way.

I am glad I did, though. The speed is noticeable and the web surfing experience is more enjoyable.

I like the voice recognition for various functions. I just wish it had "Voice to Text" mode for texting friends.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
my one year warranty on my 3G was gonna run out in august, and it had a small crack on the side and leaking light, so I called in and they sent me a refurbished one. I sold the refurbished iphone for $400, and bought the 3GS and made an extra $100.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
3g launch

Was on the second round last July with the 3g. Appeared the upgrade was going to happen middle next month but then AT&T opened the window.

Sold the 3g for $350 Thursday. Swooped a 32GB from local AT&T after preorders Friday for $299.

When can I get my dual core iPhone? :p

shvartsies

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
New Jersey, USA
As soon as Ultrasn0w is released I'm going to unlock my perfect condition white 3G and sell it on ebay with all the original accessories.

I plan on buying a white 32GB, I'm fairly sure I can make a profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.