How is Gmail and Gcal integration on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cutcopypaste, Jun 1, 2011.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I'm a heavy gmail and google calendar user. I'm debating between android and iPhone on the smartphone front (i'm new to the area) and I wondered how easily I can use my Gmail contacts, google calendar and gmail email on an iphone? I know it's basically built in on android..

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Don't know about contacts but the other 2 work perfectly. Never had a hitch.

4. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

It's good but nowhere near as good as Android. Basic syncing of email folders, contacts & calendar are good but you will lack labels, deleting, awesome email search etc.

5. kevintech macrumors 6502

yeah coming from blackberry, i was concerned about this too, but the iphone is pretty good at syncing google calendar and gmail. not so great at gchat or push messages as my blackberry was, though.

6. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Blows away the Blackberry. Not as good as Android.

7. milamber macrumors regular

If you're a super heavy gmail/google services kind of person I'd probably suggest going with android. The gmail app blows anything the iPhone has if you're a gmail user.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

On my wife 3GS and my fourth gen touch, it works well enough but things like email search are far better on the GMail app on my Nexus S.

I don't know why but I can only search on locally stored email on my iPod where search works fine on the Nexus (as you'd expect).The good thing is, GMail works fine in Safari if you are stuck searching for a mail.

Attached Files:

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Deleting works fine on my iPhone with gmail. You have to set it up as IMAP and it works great. Although, I do wish labels worked.

10. 19thStreet macrumors newbie

yes to the bolded!

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Works well on my iPhone 4

Is lighting fast on my Galaxy S2

12. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Gmail on Android is a world better than it is on the iphone. I've even considered parting ways with my iPhone 4 and going back to Android but I'm going to stick things out for a bit longer... maybe see how iOS 5 runs and see if Google release a new Nexus later this year.

13. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Can anyone specify in more detail how Gmail and Gcal is "better" on an Android phone? Thanks.

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Awesome using Exchange. Even faster and better than MobileMe, if I say so myself.

Using IMAP? Eh, not so much.

I don't use my phone for complete mail management. I use my phone to read and send emails on the go. When I want to organize them, I use a computer.

15. TLewis macrumors 65816

Gmail and google calendar are decent on iOS if you use the google sync interface. Don't even bother with the IMAP or pop3 interfaces (on the iPhone -- desktop clients should use the IMAP interface).

However, contacts may be a different story. Google sync is fine if you keep your contacts in one big steamy pile. It sucks if you use contact groups, because I don't think there's any good way of accessing google contact groups on iOS. This is the one and only reason why I use MobileMe -- I use google for mail and calendars, but MM for contact groups.

16. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Tlewis, sync up to Google as an Exchange account. You get everything.

I'm still not getting what extra you get on Android.

17. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

When I sync my contacts up to Google, and then it sync's back down, Google compresses and resizes the contact pictures. So when someone calls the images are very small and up on the top of the screen. So I had to turn off syncing the contacts.

18. TLewis macrumors 65816

Thanks, but I know you can get everything. Unfortunately, my nicely-sorted-into-contact-groups contacts come over as one ginormous steamy pile, and I can't stand that. For whatever reason, google doesn't support contact groups in google sync. They could, but they don't; I believe it's supported in android, though.

19. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

If you set it up as IMAP you lose push functionality and it only checks every 15 minutes. I think most would agree that they would rather get their emails instantly than have the ability to delete.

20. TLewis, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

TLewis macrumors 65816

Note that there are multiple ways to access gmail on iOS:

• POP3: Ancient method. Not recommended. Used only for mail (not calendars, contacts, or notes).
    • IMAP: Newer method. Recommended for desktop apps like Thunderbird or Mail.app. Supports "push" for desktop apps, but not for iOS, because iOS doesn't have the required support. (Recommended only if your mail provider doesn't support MS exchange and is not google.)
    • Gmail: New method for iOS only. Does not support push. "Deleting" a message can either delete it or archive it (but this is a one-or-the-other-only setting that is buried in the mail configuration dialogs).
    • MS Exchange (google sync): This is generally recommended, as this gives you push and decent 2-way synchronization of calendars and contacts (but in one big pile). Note that the "big pile of contacts" limitation is a google sync limitation, and is not an iOS one. You can also sync multiple google calendars, but you have to select those via a web page -- there's no dialog in iOS that controls that.

21. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Are you sure that the GMail method supports push? I thought it only supported fetching with a min interval of 15 minutes.

22. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Google exchange works brilliantly. I sync mail and calendar.

23. TLewis, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

TLewis macrumors 65816

Yes, you're right -- it doesn't support push. However, fetch is configurable to 15 min, 30 min, 60 min, or manually.

Sigh, I even helped to write this: http://guides.macrumors.com/iOS_Email_Recommendations

24. Sc00tr macrumors regular

I quit using gmail push (Google Sync) because it was reducing my battery life. I tried it out right after Google rolled it out and havent gone back. I have been using Boxcar to send me a notification each time I get an email and I manually get my mail.

What does everyone else use?

25. TheOriginalKi, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Labels actually work. You can apply more than one label on Android, inc staring emails. You can archive OR delete. You get Push. The interface is so much better on the Gmail Android app. It's not until you've used both that you really see the differences. I would love Apple to get together with Google and put the same sort of functionality into the Mail app as a lot of iPhone users use Gmail!

Edit. Right now I would be happy to forgo labels but I really want to be able to delete and archive right from the inbox while using push.