How is the 8GB HD space treating you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dubis07, Dec 4, 2007.

1. dubis07 macrumors member

I do intent on getting an iPhone for this Christmas despite the 3G news. I'm curious about the HD space, though. How quickly does this fill up for you guys? How much space do applications and what not take up? How much memory was on there when you got the phone (usually its something less than what they say because of the original data stored on it)?

It just seems like its so small, but I guess it IS A PHONE so I can't expect it to store everything...

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

must admit the space was an issue. You end up with about 7.3GB of usable space which I've filled with 500 songs and 10 videos. It would be better with more but I find it manageable

3. tonywob, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I've actually been surprisingly happy with 8GB, which I thought was going to be a real issue coming from a 40GB iPod previously. I quickly got used to not having all of my music with me all the time, but it works out fine because I have playlists that automatically rotate music based on play counts and play dates along with keeping all my favorite music on it all the time. Right now I have 778 songs, 14 videos (including a 2:08 movie) and 1,984 photos, and I still have 541MB free. For long trips more space would be nice to be able to take an extra 4 or 5 movies, for instance, but for normal use 8GB actually isn't bad at all.

EDIT: BTW, I have about 110GB of music, video and photos on my computer, just to give a sense of proportion of how much of that I have with me at any given time.

5. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

So far so good…

I change my music playlists every week and only use the videos to keep myself from falling asleep at the gym. :p

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It is treating me pretty good, we went out on a few dates now. I am not sure if we want to take it to another level. I haven't met the folks yet, I am kind worried... :D

Seriously, I really don't have an issue with space. My wife on the other hand has to do some serious juggling with her 4GB model though.

8. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

About 60 albums + 20 or so singles, 2 feature length movies, 7 tv programs, 2 music videos, 1 video podcast and around 500 photo's, with about 200MB to spare.

Generally agree with the others, it's an okay amount of space, but i'll be looking for a 16GB model before i go away on a long business trip again. 1 english speaking channel, pfft worse still it was UK channel 5.

M. :D

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How is it treating me?
    Well the other day I thought it called me a name but I was wrong so I guess you can say we're getting along real well and I think I may take him out to lunch today.

10. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I was worried about limited space before I got it, but I've found in practice that there is no problem at all.

Just don't expect to keep everything on it. Be selective, and it will serve you well. :)

11. skeen macrumors 6502

It's fine, you just need to do a little more management than you would on a regular iPod. I have an iPhone smart playlist that selects 5GB of my most played files - in addition I've added my "Recently Added" smart playlist to the sync options.

This way I get all my new stuff that I've added, and all of my most listened to music. Anything other that I'm very unlikely to need/want on the go.

The rest of my space is The Office episodes, and photos.

12. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

8GB is plenty of storage. The very first time I synced my phone I loaded it with music and video, but then realized that was kind of a waste of time. Yes, the iPhone has an iPod within it, but Apple did not truly intend for you to replace your iPod with the phone. I find that 150-250 songs and a video is plenty. The iPhone is meant to be used as an iPod during your normal daily routine, not to replace your iPod as your main music player in a car or as your music player on a long trip. In those situations most people will still use a 30GB or more iPod. The iPhone iPod is best for a days use of listening at work or wherever you may be. In the end, one person can only listen to around 15 hours of music per day, unless you don't sleep or ever interact with other people. If the same songs bug you, add and remove songs daily. If you use it this way you will have plenty of room for pics and 3rd party apps once released.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Not nearly enough space. My problem is that I have bought so many albums lately and I want them all on my iPhone but I don't have enough space. So now whenever I buy new music which is practically daily, if I want it on the iPhone, I have to take off something. So now I still carry around my iPhone and my 160GB Classic.

I use my iPhones iPod while at work inside the building and my Classic while I am in the car since I am in the car for eight a hours a day for my job.

I sound like a spolied brat since I consider this a problem. :(

14. RL600 macrumors member

Not as good as a 16gb would treat me. but its OK i guess.

15. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Does the phone slow down once memory starts getting full?

I've got about 2.5Gb free on my iPhone . I've seen many phones run into problems once the memory starts getting very full, especially the Nokia N73.

How is the iPhone when your memory starts getting full? Do applications start to slow down or not boot? Is the iPhone performance still the same regardless of how much memory you've used?

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've been down to 85MB left on my iPhone (space all filled with music) and it has run perfectly. They only trade off is that during the sync that brought the space down to that 85MB, it took my photos off without asking me. They were put back on once there was more space then the 85MB. I had all the photos backed up so it wasn't a problem.

17. divabimbers macrumors member

Well, I thought this would be a concern for me as I love music but so far so good. I've got about 3.31 GB worth of music on the phone (840 songs), 2.51 GB worth of video (76 videos), 100 something MB worth of photos (227), and my capacity is at 771 MB according to the iPhone. Though why does iTunes say 641 MB free? What's the reason for the discrepancy and also, any ideas on how to clear out some stuff in "Other"?

Really, 8 GB isn't so bad for me since I don't tend to be in situations where I'd watch a movie while out. Most of the times, I'm watching short clips from podcasts and the like.

18. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

it sucks. i love having my full 60 some odd GB of music with me so I dont have to listen to the same stuff over and over. i have ended up liking the functionality of the iPhone, integration with iCal and Address book and e-mail a lot more than the fact that the thing plays music. i only listen to my iPhone music walking to and from work (like 20 min each way). its about as effective as an iPod shuffle. i still listen to my iPod classic all day at work because i can chose whatever music i want to hear, or let it shuffle through randomly my 14xxx songs.

but you should really ask yourself how much music you have, how much music you really like to listen to, and how much music you actually listen to in a given day.

in reality you cant really listen to much more than a gig or so of music a day (unless you are into lossless music, then the file sizes can get much larger). but 1 gig of music is useless to me if i feel like listening to a different type of music. so think what you will really use your iPhone for.

19. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I have the entire 3rd season of Battlestar Galatica on mine.

Not a whole lot of pictures or music though.

20. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from a 4GB Nano - so the extra space is just fine. Toss a couple of programs captured with EyeTV software from a DTV receiver and I'm good to go. I really don't see the need to cart around my entire media collection on an iPod. That is what my MacBook is for :D

I mostly use mail and safari - oh and sometimes I make phone calls too.

21. dubis07 thread starter macrumors member

I am really excited about the iCal feature. That alone will be a HUGE help in my life.

22. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

ive squeezed 1383 songs AND all my photos AND the new Transformers DVD AND have 1GB spare

:cool:

23. pake macrumors regular

My daily routine consisted of an iPod shuffle that had the top-least-recently played songs. Needless to say, with 8Gb I can put all the music I care about into the iPhone. If I had more space though, I would put all my pictures, but they won't fit, so instead of deciding which ones to have I just don't have any.

I reserve my 3Gb of free space for podcasts and some movie I would like to sync.

I think the 8Gb are very adequate for what I use my iPhone for.

24. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

It treats me well.

For the times when I wish to have my whole library with me I take my 5th gen ipod out with me, and then I can fit approximately 1/10th of my library on that, instead of about 1/30th of it on my iphone.

My itunes library is too big to ever take it all out on the road, so what difference does it make? Make some good smart playlists is my advice.

25. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

it's obviously much different than an iPod due to the lack of space, but I managed to pick out about a thousand favorite songs for my iphone. I have found it tough to squeeze my videos onto the iphone, even 1-2 at a time. The apps don't take up much space, but I'd leave a good amt. of space before jailbreaking just in case.