How is the Hotspot 4.3 going to work in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KevinM2, Mar 6, 2011.

1. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how the Hotspot coming in 4.3 is going to work with UK iPhone 4 packages?

Will there be a requirement to purchase a bolt on, or additional charge to use the Hotspot feature in the UK?

Will it even be available to use in the UK?

It will be very useful to have on my iPhone 4 (for my iPad), but I am not going to spend any more than my current £35/month ($56) for my phone package.

If there is to be a charge for using it in the UK, I will just stick with MyWi, which seems to work fine.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It works exactly as tethering does now. Each carriers policy is somewhat different. I know that on O2 you have to purchase the tethering bolt-on to get the hotspot.

3. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

In that case, in the words of the immortal Dragons...For that reason, I'm out

Just gonna wait for the 4.3 JB to hit the streets.

Thanks for the info though.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Am I glad that I switched to Three, might be ever so slightly more expensive, but, at least the network is very comparable to O2's, and in some cases, better.

5. TheOriginalKi, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

As already said it depends on the network and the plan.

I have an iPhone 4 on The One Plan with 3. This plan includes unlimited internet including tethering with no fair use policy at all.

I'm rocking 4.3 at the moment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had planned to drop my O2 package from the £35/month plan to their iPhone Simplicity plan at £15/month once my contract is up in 3 months, but I might take a look at Three's The One plan (possibly for an iPhone 5 package, or possibly SIM only deal)

Does the £25 The One SIM only plan include free Hotspot 4.3 useage, with unlimited Hotspot data use?

Sounds like it might be worth the extra £10/month, plus I am finding O2's 3G coverage really slow these days. Maybe it is just me, but I am sure 3G should be faster than it is on my iPhone 4 with O2.

Kevin.

7. Zcott macrumors 68020

I think all of Three's plans include free Bluetooth/USB/Hotspot tethering as standard. And I don't think any other carrier here offers this.

8. A2DY macrumors member

no i think three are the only one,

I have always avioded JB my phone but think this is the only reason I might just to save paying for something I believe I have already paid for!

9. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I'd check that you get 3 coverage in your area before you switch over. I live in West London (you'd think the'd do good coverage in the Capital) but my two flat mates on 3 hardly ever get a signal. On the website it says they will get full signal, and when they call 3 to complain get told. There's no problem and there's nothing they can do about it.

So be careful with 3 I've only ever heard bad stories. I'm on O2 get great coverage everywhere and 3G is mighty fast compared with other networks.

10. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would that even include the £15 iPhone 4 SIM only package that offers:

300 any network minutes
    3000 texts
    1GB internet
    1 month rolling contract

As 1Gb/month might well be sufficient for me, as it'll only really be used for surfing & e-mailing on my iPad on the go. If so, that sounds like a nice package, as I text a lot more than I chat, so 300 mins is more than enough.

11. A2DY macrumors member

As above, I tried 3 once a couple of years ago, signal was awful but they would never beleive me as their system said it was 100%. their customer service is the worst I have ever dealt with know several others that have tried them and soon regretted it.

12. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually don't get 3G coverage with O2 where I live anyway, so it's not a big deal if Three don't have 3G for my home. To be honest, when I am at home, I am WiFi'd up anyway, so it's more about 3G on the go.

I wonder if it is possible to get a free Three PAYG iPhone 4 SIM that I can just pop into my iPhone 4 to see if I can get 3G?

13. A2DY macrumors member

14. KevinM2 thread starter macrumors 6502

15. aldo82 macrumors regular

You can pick up a pay as you go microsim on their website http://www.three.co.uk/Phones/iPhone/SIM_Only

In my experience 3 offers by far the best data network in the uk and their 3G network in general is superb. I have had the odd issues with voice calls though. Of course it is all subject to area

16. mofei1 macrumors regular

I'm on vodafones £15 a month contract which gives me 300 minutes, unlimited texts, 500mb mobile data and 1gb wifi via bt openzone. Upgraded to 4.3GM yesterday and seem to be able to tether wirelessly...

17. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Hope that stays the same with Vodafone. I agree with earlier comments, if they charge for it, I'll just stay jailbroken and continue to use MyWi.

If they don't charge for tethering, as its the last jb app I use, it would probably convince me to go unjailbroken.

The Vodafone UK Forum is as usual unhelpful, with vague responses of "its only a beta OS, so we dont know".

18. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

T-Mobile's official line is that you should pay for a mobile broadband booster to use tethering, but they don't seem to enforce it...

19. Radioman macrumors regular

I have to say that my experience is exactly the opposite of that. I have been on all UK networks bar T Mobile and Three win hands down...

20. A2DY macrumors member

vodafones tethering costs £5 per 500mb, I tested once using bleutooth and only used 200kb's and got charged £5. You'll see it on your next bill

21. PDE macrumors 68020

I've signed up with three and am getting an iPhone 4 on their £35 unlimited data/2000min plan. It arrives tomorrow, but I'm increasingky concerned with all the negative things I'm hearing about them. I've been using their network for my iPad and been happy with it, but I fear that I'm jumping into a trap that I'll regret for the next two years...

I have vodafone now and it's fine but nothing great. I need more data and three is the only network that provides free tethering and unlimited data.

Am I making a mistake??? There's still time to bail.

22. A2DY macrumors member

if its coming tomorrow use it for a week and see how you get on, you might be fine, all depends where you live i guess, you'll always have your 14 days to return it if you change your mind,

When I tried three I picked a phone in the store and they refused to aceept the 14 day period as i signed in sotre (apparently thats the law!) if you've ordered through the web etc then you by law have 14 days, use them :)

23. dipper macrumors newbie

I'm thinking / hoping that the tethering would stay that way as I can then cancel my iPad subscription and use the personal hotspot for the iPad (normally nicked by the kids) and the MBA while away from home. A cleaner solution than MiFi - one less device to carry and keep charged!

24. A2DY macrumors member

should be good for that,

I just wish as I pay for 1 gb mobile internet I only ever use about 300 mb per month would be good if tethered use up to this would be free...makes no difference to them if its tethered or not!

25. aldo82 macrumors regular

I've been very impressed with 3 from a data point of view and have been using them for the last 2 months. I've had the odd dropped call which would be my only complaint but voice calls are the thing I do least on my iPhone so not too much of a worry for the far superior data network. I have also tethered for no extra charge on payg though I don't do this much.

Three have just announced all you can eat data on payg if you buy a £15 or £25 add on. Pretty awesome deal by the looks of things and beats their own £15 30 day sim only deal that I was going to move to. I have read though that tethering isn't allowed on oayg even though it's all you can eat data (so it is not like the One Plan) so it will be interesting to see if they actively block it or whether they just advice against it. For the very seldom tetherer like me I really like how Three do not charge for light tethering and I hope they continue with that