how is the screen on the Unibody White Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SPNarwhal, Jun 9, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i'm going to either buy a Unibody White Macbook, or a 13" Macbook Pro,
    but wondering if there's a major difference in the screens?
    i know one reflective glass, and the other is not so reflective glass,
    but how is the screen quality itself?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've seen the both in store and my sister has the previous gen MacBook and I can't see any difference, both are great being only 13"

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

I just got the 2010 white macbook and I think the screen is fantastic. In the store, it was displayed adjacent to the 13" pro and they both looked great. I think the pro has an extra layer of glass, or a different layer, since its colors did seem a bit "richer"- I'm not a display techie. The pro also appeared to be more reflective which isn't a plus in my opinion but not a huge difference.

I went with the macbook because the pro was out of stock and, being impulsive, I justified the purchase because I saved a bit of money.

4. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

what about the speaker quality?
    is the speaker quality in the pro any better than the one in the Macbook?

Or is the Macbook made with the same exact parts, just made of plastic and less additions?

5. CrizzoDesigns macrumors newbie

CrizzoDesigns

I have a new MacBook 2010, to me it seemed to have less glare than the MBP.. not sure if it does or if just appeared that way to me?

The speakers are decent, but it is not that loud! I am not sure how they compare though!:apple:

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Man try out the screen in person. I had the mbp 13 in and the glass screen gives me headache with the glare. Unfortunately, even an anti-glare screen, while it does prevent the headaches, the screen looks less crisp and more washed out.

7. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

The screen on these are great! and the speakers are fine for just basic use. :)

I mainly use my built in speakers,even at my desk.

8. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

Speaker quality in macbook pro's is SOO much better than in macbooks. I've got a macbook pro and my brother has a macbook and the sound quality is fantastic let alone its much louder.

For screens, umm, macbook pro's is a bit better but fingerprints get over the macbook pro's screen really easily which means quite a bit of cleaning.

Either way, they are both great computers. What I would recommend though, is you take into account the hardware of both the computers. The Pro isn't more expensive just for the screen, it also has better hardware buses in it so it runs faster despite being at the same speed - hence why its more expensive.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP has a subwoofer but as others said, use external speakers

10. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

The pro 13 inch screen is noticeably warmer than the macbook 13 inch. The macbook's screen is very blue when seen side by side and lacks the contrast that the pro has.

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The Pro often uses the LP133WX3-TLA* and the B133EW04/B133EW07. I like the latter very much. It's my favorite and my top choice for unibody machines.

the regular unibody used the LP133WX2-TLC*, the screen everybody loves to hate.

The white unibody uses the LP133WX2-TLG*, a screen I also love to hate.

LG has a tendency to tint blue. Samsung a tendency to tint yellow. I prefer yellow to blue.

I have not compared the LP133WX2-TLC* to the LP133WX2-TLG* side by side, but in my experience with LG the base model # means it is the same junk. So the screen bloggers were crapping on a year ago is very likely the made with same quality as the LCD going into the new white unibody.

12. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

I have a late 2009 macbook and the screen is the only reason I keep it. Its amazing compared to my win laptops.

13. Pax macrumors 6502a

I think both use the same models of screen. I have checked a few in store and they both had the same panel model.
    (Note: Apple does a panel lottery, it uses panels from eg Samsung, LG & CMO. You might get one of the three in your computer. But I believe MBs and MBPs take panels from the same "pool")

I've heard on here that the MB screen might not be as bright as the MBP. A way of saving battery? but other than that they seem identical.

Oh, and they are very, very good screens from all the ones I have seen.

14. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Everyone hated the LP133WX2-TLC* in the original unibodies, but people love the LP133WX2-TLG* in the white unibodies.

The base model with LG often looks the same regardless of the revision letter.

Either,

a) placebo

b) The glass over a glossy screen decreases image quality

c) the TLC* and TLG* are totally different in quality.

I am curious which is true.

15. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I'm going from a mbp 13 in (screen gives me headspaches) -> mbp 15 in hi res anti glare (great computer but too expensive to justify keeping when I use it once every three days-THANK YOU IPAD) -> too about to buy a unibody MacBook.

The unibody MacBook are a great deal and you get the iPod touch that you can resell to upgrade the ram!!!

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I thought I'd come back to this thread with some findings.

More white Unibodies use the B133EW04 than the LP133WX2(TL)(G*). So, I have yet to answer my question. Is it that the new LG is better than the failed LP133WX2 C1/C2 model, or is it that most people are seeing the B133EW04?