How is watchOS 4 on a Series 0?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zea, Sep 19, 2017.

1. zea macrumors member

I have all my other devices updated to iOS 11, but have held off on my Series 0 SS. How’s it run? watchOS 3 felt a bit slow but still usable, is watchOS 4 about the same or worse? Thanks.

2. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

I've found it so far to be the same as watchOS 3, no noticeable slow downs or lagging. I do notice my battery seems to be draining a bit faster, but not sure if its watch age, or OS change. Just limping it through until Friday :)

3. HighFlyingBirds macrumors 6502

HighFlyingBirds

Mines has been fine, in fact the battery seems to have improved over 3.2.3
    SS 42 Series 0

4. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Just installing now, takes a heck of a long time.
    Will update tomorrow.....

5. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

In terms of speed and responsiveness, it's roughly the same as WatchOS 3. However, the dock is not there anymore, it's now become an apps switcher. IMO, looks much worse and hard to use. But once you manually loaded the apps that you need, they will stay in the RAM, and have fast load until next reboot.

6. HeathH macrumors regular

I've been running OS 4 on my series 0 SS for almost a day. So far, it's been a good experience. Initially it does feel as though the battery is draining faster, but that might normalize over a few days. It does look like the heart rate app update is rather limited on series 0 (no resting heart rate, no walking heart rate).

7. RobNYC macrumors 6502

The battery on my mind completely drained. Not sure what did it after the update to OS4.

8. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Mine's not charging.... or charging really, really, really, really, really slowly..............

9. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

3rd party apps are still useless. everything else about the same.

10. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Original 42mm SBSS, battery completely normal with WatchOS4. Wear 14 hours today, with more than normal usage (because want to play around the new watch faces), still has 51%. So, the battery should be more or less the same as before update.

11. sbarts macrumors newbie

Hi
    Initially I suffered from battery drain. Been using it during beta testing period. I did a reset on the watch and reinstalled everything and it seems to be back to normal battery wise. Speed wise as per WatchOS 3 really. Series 0 is looking a bit long in the tooth these days. Has anyone with a series 0 notices we don’t get resting heartrate and other readings in the heart app? Mine just shows current and nothing else.

12. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

You mean this one?
    IMG_2835.PNG

13. sbarts macrumors newbie

That’s the app. Series 1,2 & 3 seem to also have resting and recovery heartrate readings

14. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Didn't realise that, may be S0 have to save battery, therefore can't have so many measurements.

15. RobNYC macrumors 6502

Yeah there was a discussion on that around here somewhere. The first generation watch, or series 0 doesn't do resting heart rate unfortunately.

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Battery life is about the same for me. I think it is every so slightly less responsive. Really I don't think the Series 0 has ever been that great with responsiveness but it does still work fine, just a bit slower than other devices I own. I'll probably hold on to it for another year and then upgrade.

17. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I've noticed that if I load the Stocks complication on my Modular watch face, my battery goes down the drain. Like 50% gone in 2-3 hours of just normal glancing. So I don't do that anymore :p

18. kevinbeared macrumors member

Hi,

For me, it seems as fast as OS 3, but the battery is draining a lot faster ! On OS3 i was never worrying about my battery, now around 6PM i'm around 30% which is not enough if i don't come home directly after work...

I have to say the new Siri Watchface is really really cool, it's the first watch face i use since i have my Apple Watch, i only used the 'utility' face with minimum details, which give a really minimal style to the watch, but the Siri is really nice, displayed the weather, calendar, and even a glance of one photo (i tried the face with one photo on, it's awfull but the small rectangle with a photo is so nice !) (but get rid of the stocks info, useless and ugly)...

For the battery maybe i use it more with the new face now, i feel like i have a new watch :) ! But little by little, the laggyness is frustrating, and i'm not ready to spend 500$ on the new 4G yet... maybe next year

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use a lot of apps, but one thing seems to be a constant, my battery life has taken a hit. If I could easily downgrade, I'd probably do that, and maybe I'll start googling it. There's other minor annoyances, such as the time, I was working out and screen froze. I was able to kill the workout app but that's not something I ever needed to do on my watch.

20. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

My series 0 has basically turned into an unusable watch with Watch OS 4. Battery drains within half a day and app load times have gotten much worse then they already were. I’m planning on taking it to an Apple Store and see if they have a fix. If they don’t, I’ll maybe buy a gold series 3 non-LTE model as a replacement

21. loplop macrumors newbie

SB Alu 42mm Series 0 here. WatchOS4 is a fantastic update, IMO. Feels snappier, battery life is the same as 3 or slightly better for me, and the new features are truly useful. Additionally, heart rate data during workouts has gotten consistently better with each OS update, and is best of all in 4.

For those who experience poor battery life after updating, reboot and give it a few days to re-learn the battery profile. It should even out to the same as before. If not, you may have a 3rd Party app misbehaving.

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

My battery seems to drain a little faster but apps seem to load faster and run more efficiently under Watch OS 4.
    I love ❤️ the Siri Watch face. Right now I don’t have a compelling reason to buy a new model.

23. kevinbeared macrumors member

Yeah like i said earlier, the siri watch face is really nice !! To use the crown to scroll while avoiding the multi touch is the right way for the watch to work i think, and then to select something specific, but not for navigate...

It's the same here, i'm sad to feel my watch becoming osbolete day by day, and i know the watch OS 5 will be the real beginning of the end...

24. macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

From beta testing watch os4, if you have any drain issues hard reset the watch before you do anything else, it fixes a lot of the issues for a good number of people. Give it also 3 to 4 days and the battery sorts itself out. Then try repairing, if that does not work.

25. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Working well on my Series 0. Still slow and most apps fairly useless, but the new OS hasn't made it worse. I love the new Siri watch face. It alone has made my watch more useful. I think you have to be a big calendar and reminders person for it to be really great.