How is your iPad2 screen? (UK)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Defender2010, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Please post here if you received an iPad2 in the UK that has little or no light leakage....I want to reserve mine tonight for in store pick up, but I don't want to start this cycle of switching if I get a crappy screen....advice? Is anyone waiting a while before buying?

2. steve10172, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

steve10172 macrumors member

Mine (Bought from Apple Store) has no problems.
    64GB 3G White

3. shandyman Suspended

Got mine on launch day from currys and pretty much perfect

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Look for problems and you'll find them. Use the device as you would every day and you won't find them.

Everyone in the light bleeding thread is going into a dark room and turning up the brightness to max. Who uses an iPad like that?

FWIW, my screen is flawless.

5. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Fine. If I stand in a completely black room and look at a black screen with the brightness turned up, I see a little bleed. Same was true of my iPad 1.

I only just noticed that though, since I never, in a year of constant use, produced the conditions in normal usage where I could see it.

6. bobobenobi macrumors regular

I opened mine in my normally-lit living room and noticed it immediately on the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

7. richardmu macrumors 6502a

A little bit compared to my 1st gen which had no discernable bleed whatsoever.

However, not enough to worry about as i really can't tell in normal use. If I hadn't read about the 'problem' on this forum i would have remained blissfully unaware of it on either iPad!

8. Defender2010 thread starter macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I know!! Who really would get into a wardrobe just to check for this issue? It's laughable! hahaha,,,,but,,,it truly does vary from model to model. My original iPad had this bleeding issue in 3 corners and I got it replaced as it was very bad in normal circumstances. I am just wondering if its all exaggerated by US customers...:confused:

Good to hear some good replies so far!

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Exactly! No issues here. :D

10. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Just swapped mine at the Apple store in Brighton. Hoping the new one is good :eek:

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Your saying if you look for problems you WILL FIND THEM, so how is it yours is flawless? :confused:

Pic in a dark room at 100% or it's not true. They ALL have the issue.

12. Chriseybear macrumors newbie

It will be there, like it's been said you just need to look for it.

I checked, I have it.
    Over general use I've totally forget about it and don't notice it.
    Maybe once or twice I've noticed it during a video though...

Word of advice, Don't check for it :)
    If you dont check for it you won't notice it. If you randomly notice it.. and keep noticing it. Only then I'd say you have a problem and should return it.

I might be considered as burying my head in the sand and ignoring the "problem", But I cant really be bothered playing the return game on a product I don't consider faulty and that I'm rather happy with. It's your right to do so but personally Im not too bothered by mine.

13. sam67uk macrumors member

Absolutely no problems on my iPad purchased on launch day in the Apple Store in Belfast :)

14. MadDragon1846 macrumors regular

Heres a pic of mine. My screen has 2 little areas on the side of the screen which has the home button on.

When playing games and browsing the net, I can't see it. But when I have a dark background, like a navy blue or black, I can see it, even at 40% (which is what I usually have it at) during the day, and evening with the lights on.

It's slightly visible when watching films, not much though. About 1/2 of each area is covered by the film.

As you can see from the pics, I set the brightness to around 50%. I set it to that because my ipod cam had trouble picking it up.

The 1st pic is an unmodded pic. The 2nd pic I modded in photoshop to get it closer to what it actually looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Unlike the iPhone 4 'AntennaGate' drama, iPad screen light bleed hasn't even troubled the writers of the major gadget blogs, nevermind the mainstream press.
    I'm not saying that it isn't an issue for those who have bad cases of it, but it's not enough of one for Apple to officially acknowledge it's existence.

16. atjames macrumors newbie

I have 16GB 3G it has minor light leak and a dead pixel.

I plan to get it replaced next time I know I will I be near an Apple store. It's quite annoying but not the end of the world.

17. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I just walked into best buy today and picked up the last 32 gb white wifi, and I do notice backlight bleeding to a degree worse than this. I also noticed very minor scratches with rear casing opposite side of where the smart cover attaches (not from me of course).

18. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to take a picture of mine tonight. It's flawless at 100% :D

19. THFourteen macrumors 6502

Ordered mine on release day from Tesco.

It has a little backlight bleeding on full brightness in a dark room - which is not how i ever use my ipad, so i'm not concerned about it.

20. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

No problems here

Ordered my 32Gb 3G on launch day 00.30 from Apple, then due to the ridiculously long delivery times, another from Tesco - which arrived much quicker - next working day! Good luck to those still waiting for theirs... :eek: Can there be anyone still who hasn't cancelled their Apple order and gone elsewhere?

To be honest, I read here about backlight bleeding here first, and until that point i had no idea about it.

I'm delighted to say that in normal usage my screen has no issues whatsoever. Not that I have noticed anyway. Im certainly not searching for problems and I won't be using it at 100% brightness in a dark room or wardrobe since I don't want to burn my eyes!

Perhaps I'm just 'lucky' but I'm honestly loving my iPad and it's just perfect! :)

21. inflynx macrumors member

Got mine from Apple Store direct yesterday. Has either a white dead pixel, or a dust particle or whatever right in the middle of the screen. Very visible at dark images - quite disappointed :( I hear there have to be 3 or more for Apple to replace it. Has anyone had any experience with that? Do they normally have replacements in stores?

Has a little light bleed as well, but I don't care about that.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Dang, that sucks. Light bleed doesn't bother me(my iPhone 4 has very noticeable bleed in the top left corner, but I got over it).
    Dust under the screen would annoy the hell out of me though.
    :/

23. juliancs macrumors 6502

Then excercise your right to return it, and simply buy another one a second later...maybe they will learn.

24. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

I have been told by an apple store employee that they have it on their system as being an issue and apple care have told me to wait for a couple of weeks and ring them before I swap mine so they can check if they are shipping defect free units to my local store. I know they haven't made a public announcement but seems like if you ring them they do at least acknowledge this is a manufacturing defect. And as for 100% brightness I can see it at 30% watchin iplayer playing games and pretty much anywhere with a dark background.

25. 126351 Guest

Normal usage for me is watching MLB.tv or iPlayer in a dimly-lit room (y'know cos the ball starts quite late UK time).

Bleed is quite apparent, thanks very much (and we'll ignore the sides of the unit splitting open).