How legal are apps such as MiWi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cap7ainclu7ch, Aug 2, 2010.

1. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors regular

I recently jailbroke my IP4 and love it so far. Using 3G unrestricted along with miwi is a massive improvement to a already well equipped device. I am just curious about how such programs interact with ATT. Are we breaking any laws using them? Or is it more of a if ATT gets annoyed enough that you are "bending" certain restrictions and will just let you know? I love the features, but I don't want ATT and some swat teams dropping by anytime soon. Sorry if this is a stupid topic, but I haven't found much on it.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They're legal thanks to Library of Congress and EFF

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

They are legal

They are against Apple and ATT's TOS

4. cap7ainclu7ch thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know guys. Thanks for the help. I knew that the new laws determined that its legal to jailbreak, but was unsure about data restrictions interacting with tethering and such (crazy how they actually charge 40+ a more more for tethering even if you have unlimited).

5. err404 macrumors 68020

Actually, there is a strong possibility that apps like MyWi fall under the same laws that protect cable companies from theft of service (black box decoders); however, to my knowledge there have not been any legal tests of this.
    That said, phone companies are unlikely to purse this course since penalties are already agreed to in your TOS.

The Library of Congress and EFF have nothing to do with theft of service defined in your TOS. They allows for the existence of the app, but not the use.

Basically it may or may not be legal but it is against your TOS and the penalties can be found there.