How Long After a Refresh is Done is Education Pricing Available?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxMike, Feb 19, 2011.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

My Dell Latitude recently fried so it's time to get a new MacBook Pro. I hear that new models are supposed to come out on Thursday, but I noticed that the education pricing isn't available immediately after the refresh. Any idea how long Apple usually waits to give the reduced prices to students? :apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

At least in the US it's available more or less instantly.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I noticed when I got my MBP last summer that the education store was offline for about 4 hours after the regular retail site came back online. Don't know if that was a system glitch or a corporate policy, but fear not - it's more or less the same time :)

You could always to geek-camping and get one at the store with the discount.

4. swish2351 macrumors 6502

As soon as it is available for purchase. It isn't like a promotional thing once in a while. It is ALWAYS. I can go 1 minutes before it comes out and get the discount or I can go 1 minute after it comes out and get the discount or 6 months after it comes out and get the discount.

5. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks for the replies. Yes, I live in the US so hopefully I can go for the education discount as soon as the new ones are out. An acceptance letter is sufficient, right? And it kinda sucks that I have to get a laptop now when I was planing on replacing my 1G iPod touch with a discounted 4G in the summer :(

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Not 100% sure, but I think you have to actually be enrolled in courses, regardless of if they've started or not. I don't know how they prove it online. But at least in the store I had to show a military ID to get the government discount.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Nope, acceptance letter is acceptable:

Apple education pricing is a great way for college students and faculty and staff at all grade levels to purchase Mac computers, Apple software, and select accessories at special prices. Students who have been accepted to college are also eligible. Just shop at the Apple Store for Education and start saving.

Copied and pasted from online Apple Store.

8. mmduluth macrumors regular

They didn't even ask me for proof. They just took my word for it. I am a student btw.

9. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect. I'll just get the 5G iPod touch since its mid-cycle already, and at the next release I'll be set to get the Apple Barclaycard Visa card to finance a shiny new 15 inch MacBook Pro :D

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Awesome. Thanks for the correction. I didn't want to misinform him. Good luck with your purchase.

When is the back to school special? They give out iPod's with your mac purchase for that so you could get your laptop and upgrade your iPod at the same time.

**EDIT** looks like may is the normal time for the back to school special. When do you start classes? If you can hold out until then, just kill two birds with one stone

11. ktang macrumors member

I'm waiting till they offer the free iPod with the purchase of a computer. Also you would get OS X Lion, so you wouldn't have to pay for the update. According to some people they say this is just a spec bump, and when October comes around, it's the redesign. We will see in a few more days.

12. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

if you can wait until summer it's better, you'll get a free ipod touch in addition to the educational discount.

13. Treeman574 macrumors regular

Luckily it's summer down under, so with the new mbp I should get education pricing and a free ipod touch. Unless they make some new condition like, ipod touch rebate only included for 2010 model macbook pros.

14. mdgm macrumors 6502a

You should be fine. The conditions indicate what iPod Touch model you need to buy new, not what model MBP. I don't see this changing.

I agree with the above posters about new products being available through the education store immediately too.