How long after refresh before refurbs become available? (buying now vs. later?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DFD, Feb 17, 2011.

1. DFD macrumors newbie

Long story short, I'm currently running a top end 2008 MBP and am planning to "upgrade" in the next week or two. I am only doing this because AppleCare runs out on March 24. My options are to either purchase a refurb 13" model for $999 or wait until the supposed refresh comes and then get a refurb of that (or this) generation. Honestly I do not care for whatever new features Apple is bringing to the new models...I can just upgrade again in six months if I feel compelled to do so. So the question is...am I better off to buy now or in a few weeks after this supposed refresh? Will the current generation refurbs drop in price? Disappear entirely? How long after a refresh does it usually take before the new models are available refurbished?

On another note, I'm considering jumping from the idea of upgrading every two to three years (and thus buying AppleCare) to upgrading every eight to ten months, thus remaining within the original warranty at all times. Are the two effectively the same thing, e.g. if the logic board dies in month four, coverage is the same? See, it turns out I would be spending about the same, but with the added benefit of having the current model and not having to deal with bad batteries after the one year period.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The current refurb MBPs are probably going to stay there for quite some time.
    It will probably take a few months for the new MBP to appear in the refurbished store.

Personally, at this point I would just wait for the new ones. If you don't care, then its up to you. I just don't see the point of not waiting. Rumors say they'll be out March 1.

3. DFD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. I would love to get one of the new models, but I won't spend $200 more. I might wait to see what they've come up with, but for now it looks like I'll be buying refurb.

Any comments on AppleCare vs. stock warranty?

4. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

I have used Apple Care 3 times on my wife's iMac (late '08 and yes we think we got one with the cooling problem they have since fixed). She had 2 bad hard drives and a bad logic board. She is holding out hope for a 3rd drive to go bad so she will get a brand new one :)

Either way the experience was great. It more than paid for itself on the first replacement. Not to mention the $700+ logic board. It usually took about 4 days to get it fixed. Which is why we bought ProCare when the last issue occurred. ProCare will get it back from the Apple store in about 1 day.

If you plan on keeping the laptop longer than 1 year, get Apple Care. Figure its about $1 a day for the first year, or $.30 a day for 3 years. Totally worth not paying a $300 chuck to fix your hard drive or the like. (Which you could do for cheaper yourself but still...)

5. DFD thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, it's why I bought it in the first place (and has since paid for itself). But I was talking about if I switch to the model of swapping out computers every eight to ten months. In this case, not buying AppleCare since I would have the computer less than a full year, is there still the same top notch coverage when something goes wrong (obviously one instead of three years)?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

AppleCare is merely a 2 year extension of the standard warranty, nothing more.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

No reason to buy a new one just because AppleCare runs out. It shouldn't stop running on year 3 + 1 day!

The best refurb prices occur on old models when new ones come out. I bought my Al MacBook for $1100 which was originally $1600 new. So you are better off waiting even if you would be satisfied with the current model.

8. DFD thread starter macrumors newbie

An excellent point, but what if I have a major problem in those few days / weeks? File a claim with State Farm and say I dropped the thing? Recently I had the graphics processor die, and Apple ended up replacing the screen and SuperDrive too in addition to the logic board. And then about a year ago I had the power management unit die, and they ended up replacing that and one of the internal fans that was buzzing.

Really? So you're saying I could get the $1,200 MBP for not $1,000, but less, e.g. $950 or even $900? Or perhaps even a 15" MBP for $1100?

9. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I don't think so.

Refurb prices are not influenced by new revisions. As a matter of fact you can still find non-unibody refurbs MBP which are just as expensive as unibody refurbs.

In other words, to my experience refurbs prices remain pretty much the same in time.

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Funny you should say that when the refurb 13" 2.4GHz C2D MacBookPro went from $999 to $919 after the new models were introduced last week, and the 2.66GHz model is now $1019, 32% off the original new price. This pretty much replicates the savings I got on the closed out Aluminum MacBook when it was replaced with the 13" MacBook Pro.

And when the iPad 2 came out on Wednesday, the remaining iPad stock as well as the refurb iPad stock all dropped $100.

11. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

You are right, some prices do decrease (in some cases).

However, not significantly enough for me. Consider this: you wait two more months and you get the newest generation refurbished with a very similar discount - now that is a deal in my book : )

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you wait, the new models will have the same discounts the old models had last week. $200 off the base 13" and $250-$300 (I don't remember exactly) off the high end 13". This instead of $280 and $480 off.

Previous generations are always discounted more than current generations, otherwise people wouldn't buy them! For instance, the 27" i7 iMac in current 2.93GHz model, is $300 off as a refurb, but the previous 2.8GHz model which has an older graphics processor as well is $500 off as a refurb. Nobody would buy the 2.8GHz model at the same price as the 2.93GHz model even though they were both the same price originally, and the 2.8 refurbs were originally $300 off.

13. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

You are right. I based myself on European refurb stores, where they have the guts to sell you this kind of MBP at that price.