How long are you going to keep your iPhone 3G or iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shreyam, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shreyam macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just wondering, but how long are you going to keep your iPhone 3G. If Stevey releases the new one next year, will you guys trade it off or will you still keep your iPhone 3G. For the iPhone 1st generation owners, when are you going to get an iPhone 3G and how long are you going to keep it. LEt me know your opinions. Thanks

Cheers

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I don't feel the need at this point to upgrade next year. 16GB of space on my phone is more than enough for me. Anything can happen between now and the next iPhone, but at this point I'm good with my iPhone until whenever :cool:

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I probably won't upgrade for the next one but will for the one after that. This is my first iPhone so I will definitely keep it for 2 years at least. The next revision may just be a jump to 32gb and an improved camera (who knows though?) but I don't need those things. But I know the one after that could be something I just can't pass up.......

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

unless there are some drastic changes, I probably wont upgrade.

Who am I kidding. I will upgrade again next year.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

yes, I'll be salivating at every word out of Jobs' mouth when he announces the next iPhone with a built in razor for shaving.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'll probably upgrade, because we are more than likely to see a better camera and what not.

Should be interesting, because the next iPhone will need a non subsidized option. If a lot of the people that bought the new iPhone 3G want it.

7. shreyam thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm probably going to wait for the iphone after 2 years. This is because the next iPhone will probably be the real iPhone 2 not just a brush up of the current iteration. So, the one after 2 years will be a brushup of the real iPhone 2

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It depends on the new version, how my iPhone is holding up next year, what the upgrade plans are, etc. I'm on a 3 yr contract - no way will the iPhone last a full three years, though.

9. cantankerously macrumors regular

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I bought my original iPhone on the first day, and I plan on keeping it at least one more year...hopefully I can squeeze some more time out of it.

11. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

i will stick with my gen 1 phone unless they start making them in more colors and i don't just mean the back being colored but the whole thing. other than that i see no need to switch.

12. iphonematt Guest

I will upgrade as soon as a new one comes out. I am not even going to try to resist it! I am a huge fanboy and have to have the latest tech.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got my 1G iPhone in January. I'm not planning on buying this current version, and probably won't think about upgrading until at least another year or so.

14. drpsych macrumors newbie

I will probably upgrade when the new one comes out, but will always keep my original iPhone and the 3G iPhone...never sell them for some reason:)

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

16. tucker101uk macrumors member

I'll keep mine as long as it is a viable option.... If after 18 months something better is about, then I'll get that...

If its iphone 3 then great!

17. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Years and years and years and years and years and...

4 gigs is plenty to wander around with :)

/me violently hugs his 4 gig first gen iPhone

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Depends on what the new iPhone is offering and whether current iPhone users get a deal to upgrade

I didn't upgrade to the 3G because at the moment I do not feel as if I need it yet eventually I will upgrade to it and be happy with it for the immediate future

Upgrades eventually come up for everything. Might as well enjoy what you can

19. jakeacc macrumors regular

It's interesting to see the wide range of opinions from the original iPhone users. Some of you who have spent a lot of money on an awesome that is barely a year old don't feel it necessary to upgrade to the 3G phone that is very similar to the one you currently own. That makes sense to me.

Others, not only can they not wait for their first contract to end, nor can they wait a week or two for the lines of new iPhone users to die down, but they needed the 3G phone the very day it was released. That seems like a bit much. Obviously if you have a lot of money, you don't care about getting your money's worth on the original iPhone. If I had the original iPhone, I would be satisfied for at least the release of the 3rd generation iPhone. But, I'm probably in the minority as I've never purchased a cell phone before. (all the ones I've owned came free with Verizon when I extended my contract for another 2 years - aka the cheap crappy phones)

The first cellphone I will ever be buying is the iPhone 3G. Concepts like checking email, surfing the web, listening to music, and watching videos on a cell phone are foreign to me...I have yet to experience something like that on a phone. But even I wasn't willing to spend a day standing in a line for a phone. So hearing that people who already own iPhones NEEDED a new 3G one on launch day seemed a little silly.

20. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

I plan on keeping my 1st gen iPhone until a 64gb comes out. I'm willing to wait 2-3 years :D.

21. crowdedstr macrumors member

maybe another week or so unless the att service/3g gets better real quick...

22. shelbias macrumors member

Got an 8GB iPhone 3G. Love it and will keep it for as long as I can! :D

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I intend to keep my 3G iPhone for a while. In fact I'm still on the fence about selling my 1st Gen. I may keep it as a spare.

But as far as upgrading when the next version comes out, a LOT would have to change to make it worth my while. Like, triple the battery life. Or 3-4 times the storage space. Or massively better hardware features, somehow.

That, or some other phone manufacturer would have to develop a device that really blows the iPhone out of the water in terms of ease of use, capabilities, and stability. And I'm not talking about "just catching up" like that most are doing now with touch screen devices. it would have to be something above and beyond that.

In any case, my 1st Gen iPhone I've had for a year now. That's the longest I've ever had a cell phone, much less even THOUGHT about "upgrading" to something else.

24. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

just got the 3g, I'll probably have it for 2-3 years. or until it breaks.

25. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Till the 32 GIGer comes my way!

Not really planning on keeping the 8GB 3g too long.