How long are you planning on keeping your apple watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Nov 1, 2015.

?

How long are you planning on keeping your apple watch?

1. I plan to upgrade every year

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. I plan on keeping it for 2-3 years

41 vote(s)
    62.1%
  3. not getting another

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Interested to get the general opinion. Are you planning to keep your watch more than a year or do you plan to upgrade every year?

Personally I think the SS costs too much to upgrade every year and I will keep mine for a good 2-3 years. Does everything I need it to be. How about you?

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I am completely satisfied that I gave my Apple Watch a full evaluation before returning it. While I'm sure there are lots of people that love them, I'm not one.

I only buy, use and enjoy products that offer something of value to me. Apple Watch was not only worthless, it was very annoying.

3. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I voted every year but I guess I really need to see what the improvements are. I was kind of late to the party and didn't get my first Sport until September which I exchanged for for the Watch after a few days.

Most likely I will upgrade if there are some big changes between Watch1 and Watch2.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I haven't voted because at this point I'm not sure how often I'd upgrade. If the next gen is significantly thinner / lighter, or it has new features I want, then I'd upgrade. If not, I'd skip a gen. But it totally depends on what the next gen offers.

5. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I'm in the same place. I upgrade when I have reason to... Same as with iPhone, ipad, Mac, Apple TV, etc. Whenever they come out with a next gen I'll check it out and decide then. I personally don't think they'll have a new one every year so don't think that's an option.

6. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Until the twelfth of never.
    And that's a long long time.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Every 2-3 years, you should remove the multiple answer choice o_o. It's the type of question you're only supposed to answer 1 choice.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

at each generation. I do not think it will be yearly update cycles though.

9. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

What do you think they'll do? Do you think our bands will be compatible?

10. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I would like to see GPS added, maybe more sensors, and a little faster. That would be more than enough for me to upgrade. I think if the new Watch doesn't accept our current bands there will be a lot of people upset about that change.

11. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

I was curious! I would love to see the Apple Watch second generation with speed and performance improvement with applications and Apple maps, it would be great to see.

12. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I can see myself hanging on to my current Apple Watch for quite some time. It's biggest use case for me right now is the activity tracking, and that is working pretty well already. I would appreciate it being snappier when opening apps, as many times right now it is much slower to reply to a message I received on WeChat using the watch vs. the phone.

I don't do any running outside so no need for GPS personally, and I charge it every night so battery life isn't a concern. Can't think of any killer features since I also don't care about a camera or watching video on my watch, so I guess it's all down to performance for me. In that case, I could see myself holding off until gen 3 potentially, if my "tech lust" can be held in check.

13. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I can't vote for every year because I'm not sure if Apple will offer a new version every year.

I will upgrade every version Apple will offer :)

14. iLoveDeveloping macrumors regular

I kept mine for a week and half and returned it. I'll get one when Apple come out with a much much better product. Could be years?

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    As many others stated it's hard to predict. But my best guess is that I'll update relatively quickly (1 or 2) years, for the first upgrade and then keep that model for much longer (3-5 years). My reasoning for this is because technology is much faster moving at the beginning (look to iPad 1 and iPad 2 for longevity comparions), plus the big feature I really want is GPS. Once that arrives, I'll most likely upgrade but then be set for a while

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I'm not sure I can vote yet. I'm very happy with my watch and so are others in my family who have one. Not sure I need to update on a regular basis but then I'm not sure what future versions might include. My main uses for the watch are well covered at the moment. Like everyone else, GPS and faster interface are the two things that could be better but otherwise its fine with me. If I broke mine today, I would have another by this evening.

17. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

For me, it depends on the strength of the hardware upgrades.

I've skipped alternate iPhone upgrades (I owned 3G-4-5S, so far) and haven't decided whether to replace my 5S's battery and wait for iPhone 7, or get a 6S. I'm still using an iPad 2, fer cryin' out loud.

If Watch 2 or 3 is just too awesome to pass up, I'd get one. Or, if my W1 starts to feel long in the tooth, like my iPad 2 does at times, I'll consider an upgrade.

But, I also look at my iPods, the newest of which is three years old, and I realize that there's nothing wrong with them now. They're simple devices with no cameras and no major radio standards to follow -- which is really what the W is, too. Upgrading my iPhone every couple years gets me better cameras, faster LTE, etc., but none of those features are part of the W (at least not with current tech).

So, for now, I'm planning on keeping my SS Watch long enough to have a couple fresh batteries installed. If -- and this is a big if -- Apple offers to upgrade the electronics within the existing chassis (which is the only way the Edition model makes sense to me), I would keep mine a lot longer, too.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in the 2-3 year camp currently. I have the luxury of time on my side and so far the AW is exceeding my expectations.

19. DadBod630 macrumors regular

I could see myself buying the Apple Watch 3. Even though the Apple Watch has its issues I'm still happy enough that I wouldn't upgrade it right away.

20. BarracksSi, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015

BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

An aside --

I'm not sure if GPS is worth adding without also adding cellular capabilities.

My Garmin GPS watch has no cellular, of course, but there's also zero expectations of it displaying a map or searching for destinations.

The AW can do these things when it uses the phone's data. But without a data connection, it loses these functions.

For smartwatches, then, I think GPS and 3G/LTE go hand-in-hand. I don't think that battery technology or radio efficiency is ready to jam these into the AW's chassis, though.

21. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

My request for GPS is only for workouts. Currently the distance estimates are pretty good but GPS could make them a little better and the ability to see the points plotted on a map once connected with the phone again. I would not expect mapping or guidance with the watch alone.

22. Larvas macrumors newbie

I'm a fresh owner, got it just a week ago and so far I love it. The most important thing is that the features which I love are currently working quite good. Activity tracker, notifications, alarms.

The things which I don't like are more of a software problem (Siri being faster and a snappier UI), but that's something which I see in the Watch OS 3 being implemented, so I'm not that worried about it.

So, basically, I don't plan to invest in to a new one as long as I'm happy with this one, probably two years.

23. rowdt1 macrumors regular

I don't know, it kind of depends on what the next gen will bring to the table. I'm quite satisfied already with what it does right now and I can't quite think of things that make me want to upgrade. Personally I don't care if the next gen will be thinner, or lighter, or if it has a sim card slot. I mainly use it for notifications, activity tracking and Siri on the go anyway.

24. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'd like to say I would upgrade each year, but to be honest, I would want to see what the next gen offers before making a decision. Just like I do with my iPhone's, I would sell my current AW to offset part of the cost of the new watch. I also kind of wish I bought the SS AW over the sport, but I didn't want to shell out a ton of money for a gen 1 product.

25. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If AW2 is anything like any other new Apple product, it will be thinner, maybe a tad faster, and not much else.

Apple will sell a few AW2s to the must-have-every-version diehard Apple fans, a bunch to the wait-n-seers from this year, and a bunch to the total noobs. AW3 will sell a bunch to the OG owners who skipped AW2, a few to the die hards and latecomers who bought AW2, and a bunch more to the new crop of noobs.