Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Not a macbook pro, but I like this thread. I got my 1.83 CD Macbook a bit more than 2 years ago, and I'm just about ready to upgrade after the next revision.

I'm kind of of the mentality to buy cheaper computers frequently, rather than 1 expensive machine to last me a longer period of time.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
I'm not gonna upgrade till i get at least a speed increase by 50% or when they release a quad core, raid capable dual HD's, and top of the line graphics. then I'll upgrade. But i don't care because I'm getting a mac pro next week to hold me over anyways.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
3 years normally...

Normally 3 years, but I've been waiting for more than a year extra now to see Apple introduce a notebook that can take more RAM.

I need to do a lot of virtualization (running Linux and XP in their own little worlds on top of OSX) and 4GB is mighty tight with that one. It really needs 8GB of RAM minimum.
Unfortunately to this day there is no MacBook Pro that can address more than 4GB. Intel is to thank for that one.
I hope a Montevina MBP will finally break that barrier. But I believe it when I see it.

For the job I want to do a Mac Pro would definitely be better suited, but alas, I am quite the travelling person and a Mac Pro sitting at my home is no good to me.

It's really a shame Apple doesn't offer a 'mobile desktop' or 'gamer' type machine, the size of a 17" MBP with a bit more thickness offering 2 internal HDs lots more RAM, etc. But that's a whole other thread and has been discussed ad nauseam...

NODEraser

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
Astoria, Oregon
Obviously, everyone has a lot more disposable income than I do. I've been saving up for an MBP for about a year and a half... Just a poor (almost) college graduate, trying to scrape enough money together for rent and food. My last laptop lasted about 4 years (had a really rough life, video fried itself), and I'm still using a 7-8 year old desktop. So, I expect that I will have it for maybe 6 years if it lasts, maybe a little longer. Guess it all depends on how my financial situation will change.

sdsviet

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Chicago
mine will prolly last until the second revision of the new mbp that will eventually come out. my laptops usually last about 3yrs or so. seems my multitasking gets to the point where my laptop is too slow for it and i have to get a new laptop. i just bought myself a first gen mbp for a good price so i'll just keep that til then.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Maybe 2 years, maybe 3; depends on my needs and market conditions. If possible 4 years. I mean I want to stop depending on the latest stuff, but if I have to upgrade I will.

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
Got mine at launch, will be replacing with Nehalem next year. Cant wait, ive had so many problems with it, its basically an updated computer inside anyway!

James17

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
My Macbook Pro is 5 days old, I am keeping it the length of Apple Care (Expires June 2011). I too can't help myself with new revisions and products but I am trying to combat this obsession. I will let you know how I get on:D

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Got it in Sept 07 (beginning of my 2nd year of college) and I'll probably keep it for 2-2.5 years. Maybe sell this one and replace it sometime during my 4th year of college, when I can get a Nehalem/Calpella MBP (4 cores, quickpath, 8GB of ram, wimax, etc)

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Cool responses, alot of people with are sticking with 3 year because of apple care is done with.

Wonder if you sell the mbp just before apple care is up say about 3-4 months the mbp will sell any higher just curious. But I think that if your laptop runs fine for 2+ years, I'm sure it will easily last the next 5-7 years.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
i have to buy apple care, but ill keep this machine until about 6-8months left in apple care. then it goes on ebay.

people love to buy stuff with warranty on it still. Itll almost guarentee i sell mine before the next guy.

paola105

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
My MBP is almost a year now. Let's hope this baby will last at least 2 more years. I don't know whether to get Applecare. I'm kinda broke right now...

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
My MBP is almost a year now. Let's hope this baby will last at least 2 more years. I don't know whether to get Applecare. I'm kinda broke right now...

Buy apple care before the year is up!! Its well worth it and down the line in 2 years before apple care is up if you have to send in for a repair 3 times I hear they just replace it with the lowest end mbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.