How long before apple drop supports on original iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Dec 22, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

We all know that apple always want to exclude their iOs devices from getting updates at some point to make users buy their devices.

For instance, original iPhone got

iOS 1.0, iOS 2.0 and had few function of iOS 3.0.

So, the question is...

How long before apple drops support on updating OS for this iPad? Because I am not planning on updating iPad every year. Your thoughts?

2. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

Seeing how we are still on the first generation, don't you consider this question to be a bit premature?

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

If you feel that it is a premature, then feel free to not to say anything. People asked what iPAd 2 will be like since last the day after iPad came out. Wasn't that premature? With iPad 2 to be released in next few months, No. I don't think it's premature.

4. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Well if you look how they have managed the iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 - I would say 3 years after introduction, with limited support of future new iOS features with each update until then.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I too, think the question is premature

and I also think there are many other factors involved other than Apple wanting to exclude devices from updates to make them buy new ones

We haven't even seen 1 cycle yet
    I for one, will enjoy my iPad and worry about this later

There is Proverb that says, "he who observes the wind will not sow"
    I don't plan to update every year either, but it won't stop me from buying and enjoying what I have

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'd say iOS 5 is the last version to have support the the 1G iPad, iPhone 3Gs, and iPod Touch 3G (32 and 64Gb).

7. hcho3, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010

hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

But, then how come people ask about what the iPad 2 going to be like everyday? That's premature. People have been asking iPad 2 since like day after iPad was released. Nothing is premature.

As long as apple backs it up with iOS 5.0, I am set because iOS 5.0 for iPad won't come out until like late fall 2011. I am holding it until iPad 3 or 4. Hehe. :D

Are you not getting iPad 2? You just gonna stick with iPad 1 for a while?

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I will probably get the iPad 2 and give my iPad 1 to my GF because she wants one

9. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

I think that you are correct, so what about the iPad 3 then as the 2012 model should be far more advanced than the one to be soon released.

I myself am looking for natural voice recognition without a Bluetooth Microphone.

10. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, I asked this question because I am trying to hold onto iPad 1 longer like until iPad with retina display comes out and I don't see that happening for a long time.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Whilst I don't WANT support to go.

I also will be worried if the iPad1 is still usable at least for games, if not other things in say 3 or 4 years time.

I'd hope by that time, the iPad 4 or 5 would be 2 or 3 times as fast as the current model and software writers would be using all that power.

The thing I hate above all else is new models being held back due to old model compatibility.

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Since the 1st generation iPod touch and iPhone and the 3G version stopped little or no updates this year

I say the ipad 1G will stop receiving updates 2-3 years from now

So I say summer 2012-2013 (probably will be iOS 6) lol

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

That is truly idiotic. No doubt Apple - as is true of all corporations that manufacture consumer goods - wants people to buy more of its products. However, in the tech world, even today, there are leaps of significant magnitude ina 1-2 year span. I want Apple to innovate and take advantage of what's coming up, if that means iOS6 )or whatever version) is going to have limited or no compatibility with the current iPad, then so what? If your iPad is still going strong in 2012 or 2013, lack of compatibility with the then-current OS can hardly be viewed as a detriment. There are people still using G4 Macs either because they don't have a need for the "latest & greatest" or because their money is budgeted for other priorities. Do you really think Apple is cheating them by not providing compatibility for 10.6 or the upcoming 10.7?

I'd rather Apple maximize the current feature set and functionality than focus on updating products that are 2 or 3 years old.

14. ArchXyrho macrumors member

When iPad 3 comes out maybe who knows. But one thing i do know is that by the time iPad 3 comes out everyone is going to either want or already have one.

15. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Terms/phrases like "drops support", "exclude" and "make you buy" are misleading. I think Apple tries its best to support all their devices, but some new features/functions simply cannot be implemented due to hardware limitations. Contrary to popular belief, your iPad will not cease to function if it is not running the latest OS. Will the original iPad receive OS 5? Maybe, maybe not. The best way to look at it is enjoy it based on what it's running right now, because OS updates aren't guaranteed.

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

People only really just started to question what the new iPad would be like. Prior, they were more like reccomendations on how to enhance it. Apple generally supports their product for years. The iPad hasn't even been out for one. I'd also agree that the question is premature. To answer your question I'd say Apple will support the iPad with OS upgrades for about three total years (give or take a few months).

17. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Umm yea I'm gunn a have to says this is pretty premature... Since we are nit 3 years into the iPad. And they come at every year so the release won't be premature either....

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:rolleyes:
    Yeah, like how the original iPhone never got MMS support. Like it really had something to do with its radios...

Methinks you're a little naive.

19. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

:rolleyes::(:eek::mad:Methinks you're not too observant. Notice how I said *SOME*?

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I saw that. You said and I quote:
    Meaning that certain features are omitted because they are impossible to implement due to hardware limitations. Sending MMS from the first generation iPhone is definitely not due to a hardware limitation. Apple imposes artificial limitations to coax consumers into buying new Apple products. This is also why the iPhone has no copy to SIM card function, only a copy from SIM card function. It would be too easy to switch to a non-Apple phone after an iPhone if you could copy your contacts from your iPhone to your SIM card.

21. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Fantastic. Now point out where I specifically assert Apple's intentions regarding the first gen iPhone and MMS?

Can't find it? I can wait. While you're at it, look up the definition of 'some'.

Sheesh!

22. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Just to be clear, I still have an original iPhone I bought on Day 1 that I use as an iPhone touch. The number of apps I can't use on it due to minimum OS version restrictions are still quite few. Some of these minimum OS versions also seem to be genuine mistakes made by developers that some of them do fix.

I'm going to count out apps that actually need hardware features the first gen phone doesn't have, because that's not really anyone's fault.

I don't know... no one can help that the phone has a slower processor, not as great camera etc. It's just the nature of tech. Otherwise, I think iOS does pretty well supporting even the first device, in my opinion..

BTW, I have complained before about iOS fragmentation, due to no 4.0 for iPhone 2G, but I believe my concerns do not seem to have turned into real problems.

I can do MMS on Gen1 phone. Please jailbreak it and find out for yourself.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Reread your own post! You never suggest Apple simply leaves out features other than the "new features/functions [that] simply cannot be implemented due to hardware limitations." And I'm saying Apple does indeed leave out functions that could have been implemented in older hardware that Apple has (aparently) arbitrarily chosen to omit.

24. jb007clone macrumors 6502

jb007clone

Can you read? I'm honestly starting to doubt that you can. I said 'some'. SOME. SOME! In no way have I stated that in every and all cases Apple only limits the OS by hardware limitations.

For the record, Apple has no legal requirement to provide X number of upgrades for your device. You buy it as-is. Any OS upgrades should be considered a bonus. Whining that your phone/iPad doesn't have a function that wasn't advertised when you bought it is silly.

If you want the latest functions/features and they are only available with the newest model, you have to pay for them. Is it also your contention that automobile makers also provide every single feature to every single car they've ever made?

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Someone FAILs to understand that Apple supports older mobile devices longer than other equipment makers.