How long before we see FaceTime on the iPad/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by William Gates, Jun 12, 2010.

1. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

I know eventually both will have it, it's just a matter of when. My guess is that the next generation iPad will have FaceTime. iPod Touch on the other hand, I'm not sure. It will be either this September or next September.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think they both will as steve said they will ship millions of devices with facetime or something along those lines.. it basically was not iphone specific.

3. nszzya macrumors member

Exactly! He said 10M FaceTime devices by the end of the year.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Pretty sure the next iPad will have a front-facing camera. As for the iPod Touch, I'd say 50-50.

6. angevil macrumors regular

I am convinced that both iPad and iPod Touch will have front facing cameras.

7. William Gates thread starter macrumors 6502

William Gates

Did you read my post? I didn't ask what, I asked when.

8. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

The real question, Bill, is when will FaceTime come to the Zune? That's a real deal-breaker :p

9. Dark K macrumors member

Probably this September, and I am speculating this since Steve said the magic word: "wi-fi", the capability of FaceTime being now only for wi-fi goes on large scale since all the iOS products support Wi-Fi. I think that we could get FaceTime for the iPod Touch soon, I don't know about the iPad though.

10. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

Tomorrow.

Seriously? Do you think we're all Apple Engineers here? No one can answer your question unless they're one of the engineers working on the iPod Touch.

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I think then we can all expect not to see an Apple product produced every again, since none of us are Apple engineers.

12. euphrus macrumors member

i think the next ipad and ipod touches will have front facing cameras but not rear facing cameras. because theres no need for them

13. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Ah, you are probably right. Front facing camera on the next iPod Touch is probably a given.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The iPod touch will likely get FaceTime in September and the iPad will get it on its next update. Macs will get it in OS 10.7.

15. The General macrumors 601

Apple wants FaceTime to be an extension of "the phone call". Since iPods and iPads don't have phone numbers, I am willing to be will we never see it.

Maybe iChat AV, but never FaceTime.

16. kyleb822 macrumors member

kyleb822

I say facetime will come to the ipod and ipad at the September event...hopefully apple will release a way for all of these devices to interact with ichat on macs

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sucks that it's only over WiFi and has nothing to do with phone networks then. Youe logic falls flat on its face.

18. elistan macrumors 6502a

Since there doesn't appear to be a FaceTime server out there in Apple's datacenter, he's most likely correct. Two iPhone 4s first connect over the cell network to exchange wifi IP addresses, and only then can they initiate a FaceTime session. So while FaceTime itself runs only over wifi, it still requires a cell network connection to start up.

Unless Apple sets up a FaceTime server, or makes it like iChat with AIM or MobileMe, it's unlikely that any non-cell enabled device will be able to use FaceTime because the device will simply have no idea what address to use to talk to another device.

19. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

When? Never.

It won't come out for iPad nor iPod, both of them will never have a front camera, if they do they won't support FaceTime, and mostly this is not even the main reason, but because those devices are not mobiles and FaceTime need a carrier to enstablish a call in first place.

You may expect FaceTime on other mobiles if the manufacturer wish to 'support' Apple initiative.

Probably I haven't explained clearly, I hope you got the idea anyway.

My $0.02

20. The General macrumors 601

FaceTime is part of the Phone application and can only be engaged during a phone call. Too bad you missed that part. ;)

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Too bad you missed the part where you can initiate a FaceTime call from within the contacts app without ever being on a call.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

^ This ^

As I said, FaceTime, right now, is independent of the cell network. Apple will likely integrate it into other products. It's not like Steve said they would ship millions of iPhones by the end of the year, he said FaceTime devices.

23. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

To further expand on this statement, SJ said Apple would ship 10s of millions of FaceTime devices by the end of the year.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That could mean a few things:
    new iPad
    new iPod touch
    new Mac OS

I have my fingers crossed for a new Mac OS.

25. The General macrumors 601

Where did you see that?