Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Ok so I bought the 15" MacBook Pro touchbar 2.7ghz I7 with 500gb of storage. The thing is, the storage might be too low for me. I'd rather get the 1tb of storage with the 2.9ghz and the AMD 460 so it doesn't lag in the future.

The only issue is that it estimates that It will take a MONTH to ship!! I was planning on ordering that laptop and when that came, I would return this so I am not left without a laptop. Since the return policy is 14 days and the laptop will take 30 days to come, I will be without a laptop for a little over two weeks. Plus its ridiculous for me to lay out that much money to wait a month ($3,700).

Did you guys order the similar specs as me? If so, how long did take for it come???

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I ordered my Space Grey 2.9 / 460/ 1tb on 12/20 and it just arrived today. I'm stoked!

Although I do find this keyboard is a bit louder than my 2012 as I'm typing right now.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I ordered my Space Grey 2.9 / 460/ 1tb on 12/20 and it just arrived today. I'm stoked!

Although I do find this keyboard is a bit louder than my 2012 as I'm typing right now.

Thank you! EXACT specs I am getting! This makes me feel so much better, thanks!
[doublepost=1482987941][/doublepost]
What is the rush? Do you need it for a business or something?

I'm going to be away at school on January 23rd. Plus I want a laptop to play my sims on my free time :p
[doublepost=1482988023][/doublepost]
Thank you! EXACT specs I am getting! This makes me feel so much better, thanks! Yes I know, this keyboard is so much louder! I hope my classmates don't mind me typing haha. It is currently 12AM by me and I hope my parents in the next room are not hearing it!

I'm going to be away at school on January 23rd. Plus I want a laptop to play my sims on my free time :p

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

A $3k to $4k computer to play Sims? What kind of class requires such a computer?

No wonder students leave school with so much debt...

Reactions: Konst

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
A $3k to $4k computer to play Sims? What kind of class requires such a computer?

No wonder students leave school with so much debt...

I have the money and I'm not in debt?

I want a laptop that will not be outdated in specs in 2-4 years until the new generation comes out.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I have a Porsche and I don't drive it to the grocery store. What's your point?

Hate to say it but your new MBP is already outdated. Kaby Lake?
There is no high wattage Kaby lake processors, so no it's not. It's like saying there are new v4 engines out so your v8 car is out dated.

Op, 460 2.9 1tb machines are one of the only custom configs that Apple stores usually have, so you can just try and walk in.

Reactions: WRONG

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I have a Porsche and I don't drive it to the grocery store. What's your point?

Hate to say it but your new MBP is already outdated. Kaby Lake?

Ok? I don't understand your point. If anything, you proved my point. If you bought a Porsche and don't drive it to the grocery store, thats your own money that you earned and spent. You then decided how you want to use it. I'm not going to ask why you bought it to not drive it anywhere, am I? Well I want to spend money to get the higher end model, so whats the big deal? Am I preventing a kid from Africa from getting this specific model? No. If you have nothing relevant to say in this thread, then don't say it. Your answer had NOTHING to do with my thread.
[doublepost=1482989438][/doublepost]
There is no high wattage Kaby lake processors, so no it's not. It's like saying there are new v4 engines out so your v8 car is out dated.

Op, 460 2.9 1tb machines are one of the only custom configs that Apple stores usually have, so you can just try and walk in.

Ok thanks for heads up! I will now check the stores inventory occasionally as I have the pre-order going (which ever comes first).

capelesshero

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Chino Hills, CA
I called my local apple stores and found a SG 2.9, 1TB, 460 in mid November. It was a bit of a hassle but worth not having to wait weeks.

P.S. Wherever you end up getting it from, make sure you get the education discount. It slices off a little over $200.

Reactions: seeforyourself

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Your post makes no sense. There are electric carts that will smoke both. Engine size is not the point. My point is you don't need a Rolex to tell time. Great if you can afford one, but not needed for such a menial task. Needing a MBP as soon as possible to play Sims sounds a bit pretentious and excessive. Ridiculous really.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Your post makes no sense. There are electric carts that will smoke both. Engine size is not the point. My point is you don't need a Rolex to tell time. Great if you can afford one, but not needed for such a menial task. Needing a MBP as soon as possible to play Sims sounds a bit pretentious and excessive. Ridiculous really.
You said that the new mbp is out dated because of Kaby lake did you not? The point is that the only Kaby lake processors are low power and aren't comparable to the processors in high end machines.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I called my local apple stores and found a SG 2.9, 1TB, 460 in mid November. It was a bit of a hassle but worth not having to wait weeks.

P.S. Wherever you end up getting it from, make sure you get the education discount. It slices off a little over $200.

How long after searching did it take for you to find it? Also did it say it was unavailable online and you called ahead and they had it? I would rather just check online than call all the stores around me haha.

And Yes, I did do the educational discount. You save over $300 including apple care and etc. Totally worth it!
Once again, your posts have nothing to do with my thread. It's my money and I will buy what ever I want with it. If you want to buy a Porsche, go ahead! If you keep commenting on this thread I will report you. So stop commenting useless information,Thanks.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010

Eh, he wasn't demanding it, he was simply saying he would rather have it sooner than later, something i'm sure almost everybody would agree with. This is macrumors, 90% of the problems you deal with are gonna be excessive and ridiculous. It doesn't mean that you have to go stomp around angrily trying to make others feel bad.

+ Maxed out my 15' a year ago for the same reason, thing is still lightning fast, and I'm sure it will last me another 5 years AT LEAST. Well worth the extra money for another couple years of usage.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Eh, he wasn't demanding it, he was simply saying he would rather have it sooner than later, something i'm sure almost everybody would agree with. This is macrumors, 90% of the problems you deal with are gonna be excessive and ridiculous. It doesn't mean that you have to go stomp around angrily trying to make others feel bad.

I agree.

Last edited:

capelesshero

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
Chino Hills, CA
How long after searching did it take for you to find it? Also did it say it was unavailable online and you called ahead and they had it? I would rather just check online than call all the stores around me haha.

And Yes, I did do the educational discount. You save over $300 including apple care and etc. Totally worth it!

Once again, your posts have nothing to do with my thread. It's my money and I will buy what ever I want with it. If you want to buy a Porsche, go ahead! If you keep commenting on this thread I will report you. So stop commenting useless information,Thanks.
I searched for about a week. Yes it says unavailable online, I noticed when I arrived at the store the Apple employee stock checked it on his iPhone and it had a yellow check mark. Apparently it does that when there is less than five in stock and it won't say available online. So your best bet is to call the store and when it asks "how may I help you today?" just say "store manager" to get directed to the retail stores operator. They usually don't have a problem telling you if they have any in stock.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
I searched for about a week. Yes it says unavailable online, I noticed when I arrived at the store the Apple employee stock checked it on his iPhone and it had a yellow check mark. Apparently it does that when there is less than five in stock and it won't say available online. So your best bet is to call the store and when it asks "how may I help you today?" just say "store manager" to get directed to the retail stores operator. They usually don't have a problem telling you if they have any in stock.

Interesting, thank you so much for that!

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2015

[doublepost=1482988023][/doublepost]
the sims run flawlessly on ultra settings with a 2.7/1TB/460!
You'll love the new mbp
And it runs quietly too hahaha

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
As anybody with a Porsche would know, there's always something faster and cheaper.

And now were full circle back to Apple products :p

But anyways not sure if that person got reported or if my ignore option worked, but they don't seem to be around anymore, good luck getting your computer OP, it's gonna be a hell of a machine.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
What makes you so much better than the rest of the people who are ahead of you in line? :rolleyes:

The fact that there's ways to skip it. It's like when the new iPhone comes out and people are pissed that somebody walked into the store and bought that model that they were quoted "3-4" weeks when they pre-ordered. They just picked one part of the line, theres ways around waiting, and if I was spending that much money i'd look into those ways so I could get the product that I just dropped a ton of cash for as soon as possible. In my personal opinion as soon as the pre-order/buying page slips from its first quote you should abandon the Apple site.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
What makes you so much better than the rest of the people who are ahead of you in line? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant it by that I think its ridiculous to lay that much money out first instead of putting down a $1,000 deposit. If anything, they should charge you when the product is about to ship.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Sorry, I meant it by that I think its ridiculous to lay that much money out first instead of putting down a $1,000 deposit. If anything, they should charge you when the product is about to ship.

Don't know what you are doing differently? If you bought it from Apple, then they don't charge you - not even any deposit - until product is about to ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.