Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We were talking about Best Buy...I posted above a screenshot saying they will only take Air or newer.
That was Best Buy. If you look at the URL on the screenshot, it's tradein.bestbuy.com.

The minimum $150 trade-in promo is only for Air/mini 2 and newer. However, Best Buy will still accept trade-in of older devices. You just get lower than $150 trade-in value.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
ur right. I think i messed up on the activation lock question. it's not $150 but only $90 for my iPad 4 32gb att. not worth much. at that price I'd rather keep it as a backup device.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
ur right. I think i messed up on the activation lock question. it's not $150 but only $90 for my iPad 4 32gb att. not worth much. at that price I'd rather keep it as a backup device.
Heh, I couldn't wait to get rid of the iPad 3 for $100 back in March. But yeah, the iPad 4 is actually quite usable. :p

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
When a developer creates an app, they select the iOS target.

If they target iOS 11 then it won’t be available for you anymore as iOS 11 apps don’t include any 32bit code. If they target iOS 10 or lower, it’ll still include 32bit support.

I think it’ll be a year before we start seeing issues here. Facebook still targets iOS 8 and YouTube targets iOS 9 (so 1 year or 2 years off the latest)

One random point, is if your Mac has iOS apps on them, don’t delete them... having local ipa files could be a route to retain some apps.

If they target iOS 10 and it is 32 bit it will not run on iOS 11.

So I'd say make sure you have a backup. As when you wipe and attempt to reinstall, none of the apps that have been maintained to work with iOS 11 will be available any more...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You and me both. Plus it was my last 30-pin device, so I got to toss a bunch of cords that were nearing 10 years old!
Which are fraying near the connector. Ugh, Apple cables aren't particularly long lasting.
[doublepost=1498657413][/doublepost]
iPad 4, first app which can not be updated is Skype, in my case
The question isn't whether it can be updated or not. It's how long Skype will continue to work on the older app version.

Netflix for iOS 6 hasn't been updated in forever and sure, it's missing a few new features. Still works for basic video streaming, though.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
I canceled Skype some minutes ago. We never used it on the iPad and if it is not updated, I think, it is not secure to use Skype with an outdated version.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I canceled Skype some minutes ago. We never used it on the iPad and if it is not updated, I think, it is not secure to use Skype with an outdated version.

Depends on what you using Skype for.

For the typical user, security isn't a concern.

Reactions: PR1985

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Depends on what you using Skype for.

For the typical user, security isn't a concern.
As you say "the tipical user". The typical user uses Android.:p After Wannacry ecc. it is better to use iOS, macOS and/or Windows 10.

AND I have to use WhatsApp, sadly. With some people iMessage.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
As you say "the tipical user". The typical user uses Android.:p After Wannacry ecc. it is better to use iOS, macOS and/or Windows 10.

AND I have to use WhatsApp, sadly. With some people iMessage.

I dispute that typical == Android

Far from it...it's just that Apple has FaceTime so there is little impetus to look for other solutions unless your clrcle extends beyond that group.

Whatsapp is more secure than Skype so you're on the right track.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany

Far from it...it's just that Apple has FaceTime so there is little impetus to look for other solutions unless your clrcle extends beyond that group.

A few contacts use Apple. The majority uses Android + WhatsApp.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...

Skype runs on a variety of operating systems, including Windows. Maybe some people have FaceTime, but basically everyone can handle Skype.

I don't think I've ever used FaceTime for a business conversation. I've mostly used Skype because that's the lowest common denominator talking to people in Asia and Europe.

Now if you are only communicating to family members/friends and everyone is on Apple then FaceTime is a possibility. It's still probably regionally specific.

Reactions: rui no onna

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Skype runs on a variety of operating systems, including Windows. Maybe some people have FaceTime, but basically everyone can handle Skype.

I don't think I've ever used FaceTime for a business conversation. I've mostly used Skype because that's the lowest common denominator talking to people in Asia and Europe.

Now if you are only communicating to family members/friends and everyone is on Apple then FaceTime is a possibility. It's still probably regionally specific.

So I am heartened by the fact that Skype is still used.

I was really commenting on the Skype == less secure that someone brought up.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
If they target iOS 10 and it is 32 bit it will not run on iOS 11.

So I'd say make sure you have a backup. As when you wipe and attempt to reinstall, none of the apps that have been maintained to work with iOS 11 will be available any more...

I don’t think it’s possible to target iOS 10 and be 32bit only. Apple has mandated 64bit code for a bit now.

Reactions: rui no onna

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Guys there is Skype for iPad. Now I have it on my iPad 4. I think before I had the iPhone version installed and now there are two different versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.