How long do you intend on keeping your rMB 1st gen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thadoggfather, May 15, 2015.

?

Expected length of ownership?

  1. 1 year

    35 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. 2 years

    24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. 3 years

    18 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. till the wheels knock off (4+ years)

    17 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. no idea dude

    19 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. thadoggfather, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

    thadoggfather macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #1
    just curious :D

    I guess for the purposes of this poll, ownership-- so passing it down to another family member counts as being done with "keeping it." in other words, your length of use with it.

    feel free to comment on if you are passing it down though cause even so thats pretty cool
     
  2. Macbuyer7 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    #2
    I don't actually have one yet, but I'm going to sell it if the next version is a 'significant' upgrade. If not then I will upgrade in two years.
     
  3. TripleCore macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    #3
    Since it is considered a 5-year tax property by the IRS, I'll keep it for less than 5 years. It also means Apple will still support it.

    But no rush to dump it in a year. Heck, this machine replaces (and easily outpaces) my 2009 MacBook Pro.:D
     
  4. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

    ProwlingTiger

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #4
    If version 2 is substantially better, sure I'll upgrade. Actually I'll probably upgrade with the Skylake processors regardless.
     
  5. thitiv macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2011
    Location:
    Bangkok, Thailand
    #5
    I intend to keep it for 3 years until near the end of AppleCare coverage; but let's see.
     
  6. Elise macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #6
    Probably 2/3 years but I will see what v.2 is like. If I want to upgrade next year I'll just pass the rMB on to someone else, I never tend to sell my stuff.
     
  7. boo98 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2014
    #7
    I have the 1.1 version - will probably keep it until the next update and then get one that will last a at least 2-3 years.
     
  8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

    mattopotamus

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2012
    #8
    I put two years, but really it could be longer. As long as the machine is still just as capable as it is today, I am content. I do not need better battery since I dock most of the time, and I do not need any more power/storage. I initially thought I would definitely upgrade next year, but that desire is fading.
     
  9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #9
    I will get version 2 as soon as it comes out.
     
  10. headcase macrumors 6502

    headcase

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    #10
    +1.
     
  11. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2013
  12. polee macrumors 6502a

    polee

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    #12
    Normally keep my older macs even when I get a new one. Just don't like giving them away or selling them.
     
  13. troubleonline macrumors 65816

    troubleonline

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    Location:
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    #13
    I said no idea as I've ordered expecting it to last me around 5 years like my current MB which is probably still fine for my needs in all honesty......though now weighs a tonne after testing the rMB in store. However were a really cool upgrade to comes along in 3 or so years and I can afford and / or are willing to pay to upgrade then I might do so. But perhaps...in fact more likely I would prefer to upgrade my iMac before the rMB. And upgrade my DSLR and so on........

    Am paying it up over 12 months on a 0% credit card and I will have 3 years warranty under the HE agreement to get through so I would say that would be minimum.
     
  14. Nee412 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    Sunny England!
    #14
    At least a year, most likely two, or at a push three. I'll keep it until there's a significant enough bump in performance and features from my current 1.2Ghz model to warrant the expense.
     
  15. pasadena macrumors 6502a

    pasadena

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2012
    Location:
    Socal
    #15
    I don't know. Right now it fits my needs perfectly. I will evaluate version 2 when it comes out and see if it's worth the financial loss to sell mine and buy the new one then. Otherwise, I'll wait for gen 3 or 4 :)
     
  16. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    Location:
    Denver
    #16
    As long as it's the machine that best meets my needs. Typically that's 1 to 3 years but occasionally shorter or longer. Average is about 2 years.
     
  17. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    #17
    I will wait for a significant upgrade...probably when they improve the display. Skylake's improved GPU also might be worth it.
     
  18. Dayv macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    #18
    It's basically the best laptop display Apple's ever put out. If that's your line, it will be a while before you upgrade.
     
  19. Kauai macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    #19
    I ordered the base model with the intention of getting an ultimate Skylake, possibly Cannonlake model. So at least close to a year, and then 1-2 years from there. ;)
     
  20. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

    ProwlingTiger

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #20
    What kind of display are you wanting? 3K? You're the only one I've seen so far with this criticism.
     
  21. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #21
    At least a few reviewers are saying its the best laptop screen they've ever seen, surpassing retina pros.
     
  22. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    #22
    Eventually there will be a 4k display (5 years?)
     
  23. spaz2841 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 9, 2015
    #23
    Probably 3 - 5 years, the only thing i upgrade faster than that is my iPhone.
     
  24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #24
    Either you have unrealistic expectations or you're uninformed.
     
  25. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #25
    Probably when the next one comes out if it's worth upgrading. You know when it has two USB-C ports and supports Thunderbolt over USB-C.
     

Share This Page