How long has the iMac "Don't Buy!" recommendation been current?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nnnnssss, Jun 18, 2012.

1. nnnnssss macrumors newbie

I have been put off buying an iMac by the "Don't Buy!" warning on the Buyer's Guide of this website.

How long has this recommendation has been in place for? It feels like an upgrade has been imminent for at least a couple of months.

Does this website have a good credibility of its predictions?

Or is it all just opinion?

Thanks.

2. dayloon macrumors 6502

It's an opinion based on past release cycles. I don't know how long it's been there but some people have been waiting for 6 months which is crazy

3. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

Well, at this point, you can rest assured the "Don't Buy" recommendation is valid. :p

4. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

If a farmer needed his tools to be able to work and get money for his crops he wouldn't have time to wait, especially if his tools broke down. Yes this website is accurate most times, but the iMac buyer guide has been like that since about feb, which is a long time.

It all boils down to how urgently you need the iMac and what for, if you want latest and greatest then wait but know due to late release haswell is around the corner so another iMac will be out in months, probably with a thinner form factor.
    If you need it asap to do work that will bring in money which it looks like you don't as you've been waiting then i would buy when i need, A professional that makes profit when using their iMac could surly afford thunderbolt so usb 3 on newer model wouldn't mean a thing to that person.

You have waited this long so just sit it out now it should be around the corner, next time just buy when needed.

Redesign and thinner form factor can lead to early adapter problems, i can't afford to have that in my line of work so i would buy on second gen of newer redesigned iMac etc

hope this helped

5. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

If you look at how many days have passed between the updates/refreshes on different Apple products in the Buyer's Guide you can see that Apple in the history has to some degree honored a schedule for some products, to update them after the same amount of days. This is currently the most popular way of determing when new products will show up, as there is several patterns to go by.

Although, this year it seems that Apple is taking a year off when it comes to the iMac, but due to leaked benchmarks and the usual expectations, logic, rationality and reason, the general opinion here on the forum is that an iMac refresh is coming, probably within 4-6 weeks.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Buyers guide does seem to use a pretty uneducated mean for its recommendations. I wouldn't really put faith in it.. Having said that, I also wouldn't go for a current iMac this far in.

7. vladfein macrumors regular

Or at least as assured as you were a couple of months back. :)

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

NO iMac has been refreshed sooner then 10 months years or longer then 2 years. That is off the top of my head but that is how the guide is based.
    You can go to wiki and do the math. Most often refresh is close to a year. The iMac from 2011 works well for many users. But If I wanted an Imac I would wait for 30 days after the next release.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Ive been waiting 5 months for my first iMac. I waited about 4 for my first iPhone as well. Let's hope it's not much longer now!

10. dayloon macrumors 6502

The lack of decent rumours is really annoying me.

11. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I think it's annoying everyone who's been waiting for an updated iMac.

Sure you could go buy one right now, but unless they shave $800+ off the price I won't buy one.

Come 1 Aug 2012 I will have a new computer. It's up to Apple if it's one of theirs or not. Of course, I am sure :apple: is shaking in their boots. :rolleyes:

12. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

What, didn't you hear Tim Cook? He wants to "double down on secrecy". He doesn't give a hoot that we have to plan our futures and businesses. We're not worthy of the truth in his eyes.

Hackintosh for the win.

13. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Since the iMac's debut in 1998, there have been 17 major updates to the line. Form factor revisions, major internal architectural changes, and minor spec bumps. The longest a single iMac incarnation was in production was the first intel iMac, announced Jan 1st, 2006, and produced for 583 days. All of the other 16 versions of the iMac were in production for less days than the currect 2011 model, ranging from 81 days (G5 iSight) up to 407 days (G5). We are definitely out of the normal bounds for a refresh.

14. New Apple macrumors regular

some people CAN'T wait (work, business, study)
    some other people CAN (current machine owned still working)

the DON'T BUY is still valid for the second line, it's not good or bad.

i was a DON'T BUY guy, but the time for my trigger arrived and i am glad i did it, as i would be glad if i waited (well not endlessly, put yourself a limit date, otherwise you are waiting forever)

15. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

Sure you could go buy one right now, but unless they shave $800+ off the price I won't buy one.

So you want a new IMAC for about $300. Me too LOL