How long, on average, does Apple take to ship a new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptainClams, Jun 9, 2008.

1. CaptainClams macrumors newbie

Hello,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how long does Apple usually take to ship out a new MBP when you order one from their site? I saw a thread here recently where people were saying they were going to have to wait a month or two for their glossy displayed MBP's to ship, and that's a pretty significant amount of time to wait!

On their store website, it says all three products ship within 24 hours, implying you'd get your new notebook in a matter of days.

Which, on average, is the more accurate case?

Cheers, and thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you order the standard configurations--base models--they can ship the within 24 hours as they sell the same ones at the store and therefore can just get them from the warehouse; however if you order something custom, then they will have to build it at the factory in Shanghai, hence it takes 3 weeks or more.

3. nayf72 macrumors newbie

I ordered a custom built one last Friday (on the UK site) and it will arrive in about 10 days time.

4. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

My BTO came in less than 3 days from the time I clicked on the submit button.

BUT I did pay $18 for 2-3 day shipping.

5. CaptainClams thread starter macrumors newbie

The only customization I would opt for would be the 17" High Res screens, and that is only if I were to go the route of the 17" MBP. Even when I check that upgrade on their customization screen, their cost/shipping ticker only changes from "Ships within 24 hours" to "Ships within 1-3 business days." I tried the glossy display and it also maxed out at 1-3 business days.

If it sounds like 10 days, or 2 weeks, is the average, I suppose I've still got some time to decide what to order -- I just don't want to be SOL come the fall school year.

Cheers!

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I ordered a custom MBP, and upgraded to the 2-3 day shipping. I was impatient, so I called Apple, asking them when the shipment will take place since I needed my MBP before I leave on a trip. The lady on the phone kindly upgraded me to overnight shipping. The entire time from ordering to receiving for 6 days.

7. Mirrorball macrumors member

If you had to be absolutely sure you're going to get your computer before July 25th, when would you order it?

8. Mirrorball macrumors member

Really? 1.5 months early? :(

9. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

when I ordered my MBP, I got mine BTO with upgraded RAM, iWork, and a glossy screen- it took about a week from clicking Buy Now until opening the box from Shanghai...

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Conundrum: If I have to have it before August 7, I'm waiting for the Montevina revision, and I am purchasing with an ADC student developer discount, when do I need to buy?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Depending on what configuration you want.

12. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

I got mine custom and it shipped in about a week. Once it left the factory FedEx delivered it from China very quickly.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Can't really say much about that, since I'm itching for Montevina, but I was thinking 17" standard with the high-res screen.

14. jbaird77 macrumors member

just ordered mine today, wont be here for about 7-12 days :p

15. mikepro44 macrumors member

mine shipped out today, supposed to be delivered by the 11th, its a refurb though

16. mikepro44 macrumors member

status said picked up in rancho cordova, does it mean its en-route to canada as we speak? haha

17. stevedave50 macrumors newbie

I ordered my MBP late afternoon and was told not to expect it until a week later..........it came the next day:D

18. JDR macrumors regular

I ordered a BTO MBP yesterday (got the larger hard drive) and it says:
    "Ships by: Jun 10 - Jun 12"
    "Delivers by: Jun 12 - Jun 18"

I guess it really depends on the amount of customization and/or if they have a computer configured that way ready to ship.

-JDR

19. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

does a glossy screen count as custom? it says i custom configured it but i know there are boxes at retail stores that just say glossy on them.

20. odog402 macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing. I want a 15 MBP with glossy and upgraded 250 gig HD (or possibly the 200gb 7200rpm drive.) Do you think the Apple stores in San Francisco will have em in stock, or would I need to order it online?

21. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

you should call and ask.

22. mikepro44 macrumors member

haha I checked my order tracker and my MBP is going on quite the journey to get to BC. Went from California to Memphis, now its back up to winnipeg and its in transit again. :confused::cool:

23. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

yea i ordered mine yesterday and it says the exact same thing. has yours shipped yet?

24. synner macrumors member

synner

Hello !

I ordered my lovely new MBP as a BTO (glossy screen) on the 4th June and it arrived today (11th June) total of 7 days (With a weekend in between so 5 working days) from order to receiving in the UK.

Apple site still says "Expected delivery 14th - 16th June"

HTH

Bri