How long should I expect my 23" Apple Cinema Display to last?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mgartner0622, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Well, just as the title says, I have a 23" Apple Cinema Display from 2006. It's the aluminium model, and is always in a very clean, almost dust free enviroment (Used next to an air purifier), and is cleaned very well about once a week. The Power Supply is also kept clean.
    It already has 4 dead pixels and is starting to show some burn in, and i'm just wanting to know a rough estimate of how many years/months/weeks/days I can except to get out of it before having to buy a new one?

I leave it on for about 12 hours a day, and when i'm not using it, it runs the flurry screensaver until I move the mouse. It is set never to go to sleep.
    Also, if these are not optimal settings to prolong its life, what should I do?
    Power it off every time I leave my computer desk?

Thank you very much.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow, thats a lot of strain on the display!
    I'm sure it will last longer if you just turn the screen off, if you're not using it.

Try to take it to Apple and see if they can do anything about the burn in display.

3. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Thanks for your speedy reply!

Do you think I should power it off by pressing the power button, or just set the computer to turn it off after 2 minutes or something?
    And I've looked around and all I can really do about the burn in is replace the entire LCd panel. It's just a sign of the LCD getting old apparently.

4. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I've adjusted the screen saver to turn on after 8 minutes and the display to sleep after 12. I'm hoping that will prolong the life of my display.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Those new settings will definitely prolong the life of the display. :)
    I think if you are done working on the computer for a while, then you should manually just switch off the display. The display only has 'x' amount of hours before it will start to degrade in quality.