How long should it take to convert a normal HDD to APFS?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by trumpetmercenary, Jul 25, 2017.

1. trumpetmercenary macrumors newbie

trumpetmercenary

I started a conversion to APFS for my time machine backup, an external Seagate Backup Plus, about 45 minutes ago. It's still stuck on the last step, "reporting pre-conversion statistics."

I know converting an SSD should only take a minute or two, but I wasn't sure about normal HD's. How long should I wait before giving up and assuming it failed?

2. trumpetmercenary thread starter macrumors newbie

trumpetmercenary

Well, it's been four hours now and still stuck at the same step, so I'm going to assume it hung. I read on another thread here that APFS doesn't support time machine, so maybe that's why. But a little odd that it would allow me to try to convert to APFS if they're not compatible.

I'll leave it here overnight just in case, but I have the feeling I'm going to find a bricked time machine tomorrow morning!

Build: public beta 2

3. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Yes, TimeMachine is not supported on APFS drives yet. Also it is highly optimized for SSDs and I don't know if it does make sense on an HDD or could even harm it.

If you install High Sierra on an HDD Mac the APFS option doesn't show up.

Yesterday I converted the boot HDD to APFS on my Mid-2011 iMac from the recovery partition and now can't boot into macOS anymore. When I hold down option while booting only "Recover 10.13" is showing up.

In the Recovery Disk Utility it looks like everything is still on the drive and a reinstall might fix it. But I don't now if this even works. Haven't tried it yet.

But I tried a clean install of High Sierra from USB on my 12-inch MacBook with a pre-formatted APFS SSD and it did not work at all. I had to reformat it to HFS+ and let the installer do the conversion.

4. trumpetmercenary thread starter macrumors newbie

trumpetmercenary

Thanks for all of the info.

Oddly enough, when I came back in the morning, it says the APFS conversion failed, but it still converted the disk to APFS anyway. See the errors...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yet, when I try to back up time machine...

[​IMG]

So I guess I really did brick my time machine! Really would have been nice if Apple warned me about this when I tried to press the convert button.

Will Time Machine work with APFS in the future?

5. oatman13 macrumors regular

Do not use APFS on standard rotational media. Also, time machine requires HFS+.

6. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

Nothing is "bricked". Try and copy some files to the external HDD and report back if it works.

Your external HDD is just a hard drive in a box. Time Machine support isn't going to stop it from converting. Now, after it's converted, you won't be able to use it for TM storage but that's a different issue.
    It's perfectly okay to use it on regular, mechanical drives.

7. trumpetmercenary thread starter macrumors newbie

trumpetmercenary

Yeah, the drive itself still functions as a normal HD, but the time machine backup was completely broken. All of the folders and files in the backup are just aliases, and when you click on them it says that the original item can't be found. It's no big deal, since I can just wipe the drive as OS X Extended and start backing up to it again. I didn't lose anything.

So, the takeaways from all of this:
    1) You can convert some normal HDD's to APFS, but it might take 20 hours, say it failed, and still work
    2) Don't ever convert a time machine backup you need to APFS because the two aren't compatible! Disk Utility won't warn you before you try to convert, though I still think it should.