How long should it take to process the 3G S activation request?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cjr605, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cjr605 macrumors member

I have my 3Gs, but for some reason it will not process the request at the "Process Activation" screen. All I see is the circle infinitely spinning. Is it normal for ti to take 30 minutes or is there something wrong??:mad:

2. jping2007 macrumors newbie

Mine has been like this also. My 3g phone is still working fine. Im on the phone with at&t right now seeing if its normal..the lady im talking to is being very helpful. she is trying to activate it on her end.

3. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

yeah my grandfathers iphone still says no service after like an hour .. sooo it kinda sucks.. he got his in the mail also

4. Cjr605 thread starter macrumors member

Please tell me if you get it to work...

5. wr1020 macrumors regular

Not good, i haven't got mine yet but it looks like servers are getting hammered already. Mine might even take longer since i'm a new customer and i'm porting my number over from Verizon.

6. jping2007 macrumors newbie

ok she called apple while i was on hold and they told her to go ahead and enter all the new phone information. it says that its already updating so she cant do anything.....

7. ljmjag macrumors member

AT&T told me that it will take 3-4 hours since the demand is more then they anticipated?!? Isn't that always the case?

8. Cjr605 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean?

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Apple is busy. You aren't the only one trying to activate a new iPhone right now. The servers can't activate you and a few hundred thousand others at the same time without slowing down. Just be patient.

10. Cjr605 thread starter macrumors member

Well would you mind telling us how long we should wait for instead of just telling us to wait?

11. jping2007 macrumors newbie

i gave her my sim card # and the imei # and it says that its already in the process of updating to the new phone. so she said that they cant do anything right now. im just going to leave it plugged in and see what happens. hopefully it will go through. if not ill try an at&t store tonight.

12. jping2007 macrumors newbie

im patient. my 3g iphone is still working so im not really worried. if it wasnt working the i would be. i might go back to bed and see what happens when i wake up since i didnt get any sleep lastnight.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If you can't activate it, wait an hour or so and try again

I had this problem yesterday and it worked after a short wait

It is to be expected that the servers for Apple will be down every now and then today

14. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

That is laughable. When has a company ever met demand?
    They sold out of their pre-orders and new exactly how many have been sold so maybe round that figure off to get a rough number of people looking to activate around the same time. Could they not have got better hardware to cope with the activations. When will they learn?

Keep at it though guys, it will be activated soon. Stay patient!

15. TMade09 macrumors newbie

How about my situation? I'm switching from Verizon and either Verizon or AT&T decided to shut off my Verizon service before my iPhone 3gs shipped. I followed their instructions to a T and then my g/f e-mails me last night saying she can't call or text me.

So I'm now without a cell phone until my iPhone arrives and is activated.

16. jping2007 macrumors newbie

Just plugged my iphone into my old computer instead of my brand new one and it activated the phone in under a minute. so if you have another computer around that has itunes on it try that...hope this helps

17. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

iTunes says it will take up to 48 hours and they will email you when it's complete.

Calling won't speed that up. Calling won't make your phone ship faster. Calling most likely won't make anything better.

Just be patient.

18. Axxl macrumors newbie

Just curious, should I leave it plugged in via USB, or will it activate over the air?
    Alex

19. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Activation happens over the air, not through iTunes, the only part iTunes takes care of for you is letting the AT&T servers know you're switching over to the new iPhone... after that, it's just a long wait.. been about 2 hours here and still no service.

20. Axxl macrumors newbie

Yeah, I figured just wanted to make sure. It's been 3 hours here. So it goes right? Upgrading from a first generation, oh man is the speed boost visible.
    Alex

21. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Does your old phones still work until the new one get activated?

22. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Out of curiosity, if we already have an iphone should we swap the SIM or use the one already in the new phone?

23. Munitalp macrumors 65816

24. bob616 macrumors 6502

25. Axxl macrumors newbie

My old phone is still working, and I think you should use your new sim card. I'm really hoping it doesn't take 48 hours :p.
    Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.