How long till Apple removes the crown?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bchreng, Mar 19, 2015.

1. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

How long do you guys think it'll be till Apple removes the crown from the Watch? I think I t'd be nice to see it gone by the third generation and replaced with touchpad technology on the left and right sides. The physical button can be moved to the top or bottom.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

As a stop gap, I'd like to see the contact button ditched, and the crown placed in the center of the watch body so that it's symmetrical regardless of which orientation you wear it. :)

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'd imagine the same time that they get rid of the home button on the iPhone.

4. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I'll guess never.

They built the unique OS around that as an advantage, compared to other wearable OSes that use pinch/zoom where you cant see anythng on the screenwhen you do it.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Just a matter of time now, I'd say either with iPhone 7 or 8.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's like asking back in 2007 how long till Apple removes the home button.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

In my opinion they will never get rid of it. I think they designed the watch with the crown and the way it functions as part of the user experience. I also don't think on a device that small there is technically no other way of offering the same functionality.

8. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

I don't see them removing the digital crown. They've put a lot of development and functionality into this and is one thing that sets them apark from the other smart watches.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The crown is the thing Apple did right with the watch.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 601

Lloydbm41

$20 says they dump the rectangle shape for round, and then add a rotating bezel to do the same functionality as the crown.

Why? Just wait until winter comes and people are wearing long sleeves and gloves. Will be pretty funny watching people with gloves try to manipulate that dinky little crown. Gloves or no gloves, a rotating bezel will be easy to manipulate.

11. troop231 macrumors 603

Hopefully remove the contact button as well. :)

12. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

With Force Touch as convincing as it is, I have to say that I'm forced to agree; it's going to happen.

I don't think the crown is going anywhere for a while, and frankly based one everything I've seen and read so far, I'm fine with that. I like the way it looks and functions. The contact button, on the other hand, can go as far as I'm concerned.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

Apple also has patents on integrating Touch ID, etc. into the screen itself.

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I don't necessarily think that we'll see the dedicated touch area/circle go away that quickly; it's a defining characteristic of the iPhone. I do think that losing the physical button would go a way towards making the iPhone less susceptible to issues.

15. kovey macrumors 6502a

This man wins for the day.

16. technosix macrumors 6502a

I'd be shocked if the crown was removed after Tim spent the time to promote the crown itself as revolutionary and efficient. But it bears noting that it was during the first presentation of the watch. During the most recent event, the crown went ignored.... hmmm.

I would be super happy if Apple removed the old school space and time wasting home button from the iPhone. Switching between iPhone and Android as I do as one who uses both, my much loved iPhone 6 Plus seems rather stodgy, and very old each time I must press or double click its home button.

Argh....:eek:

17. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Funny, I prefer the home button and Apple's navigation paradigm better than Android's three soft buttons. That back button can mean something completely different depending on the app you're in, and having two separate buttons to do what the home button on the iPhone can do seems like a waste. I always thought that last button would better suited to serve as a contextual menu button depending on what you were doing with the phone; if not, what's the purpose of the soft buttons? But that never really came to fruition.

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

some kind of manual dial is needed for accuracy/precision. I sure as heck wouldn't want a touch pad on the side of the watch. That has to be annoying to use and can register wrist rubs as actual touches and cause issues in my opinion.

19. camtechman56 macrumors regular

You Kidding, with as many people that complain about the bezel of other watches, that would make it bigger than ever. But then again it would be Apple doing it, so it would be alright.

20. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

This....the Digital Crown is the :apple:Watch's mouse/trackpad. The screen is far too small for accurate and viewable touch scrolling. Plus the Crown has been on watches since the beginning. So it is also part of watch identity.

People that have used it comment on how intuitive and easy to use with just one finger. Apple has put a lot of thought into the Digital Crown so expect it to be around for at least a few years.

21. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

Interesting I'm not the only one who doesn't like the contact button.

As to the iPhone's home button -- Amazon got rid of it on the Kindle and I really miss it.

22. Lloydbm41 macrumors 601

Lloydbm41

The word bezel doesn't mean thick, as many tend to imagine. A bezel can be thin and maybe instead of on top of the watch, be incorporated into the side of the watch. A bezel from Apple doesn't need to physically rotate or be mechanical either. A 'force touch' side bezel could be utilized. There are many options available. I think they went with a small crown because it was the smallest fotprint available.

23. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You don't need to pinch the crown to turn it. You only need to drag your finger across the top. In fact, some reviewers say that is the best way to use it.

As a physical control, it will be more useful when wearing gloves than force touch, unless you have gloves with the special touch screen fingertips.

----------

Meh. The crown might have turned out to be the best control for the job, but skeumorphism alone isn't a valid justification for Apple to include it.

24. Lloydbm41 macrumors 601

Lloydbm41

Force touch doesn't need skin contact to function.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Except that Jony Ive specifically stated the crown was a way to interact with the watch without obstructing the view of the display. Not sure how good a rotating bezel would fit this design.