Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Except that Jony Ive specifically stated the crown was a way to interact with the watch without obstructing the view of the display. Not sure how good a rotating bezel would fit this design.

Except Jony isn't left handed (try putting the watch on the opposite wrist) and not obstructing the view. A side rotating bezel won't obstruct the view, regardless of the wrist it is on or the orientation of the watch.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
The crown is in real watches for centuries so, apple will not remove it. Its one of the things that defines a watch

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Except Jony isn't left handed (try putting the watch on the opposite wrist) and not obstructing the view. A side rotating bezel won't obstruct the view, regardless of the wrist it is on or the orientation of the watch.

You can change the settings so the watch can be worn on either wrist, with the Digital Crown always facing towards the fingers rather than the arm. Of course, this does mean wearing it on the right wrist means the Digital Crown is below the contacts button.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Force touch doesn't need skin contact to function.

The screen needs to register a touch otherwise it's ignored. So technically it can still measure the force you are placing on the screen, but without a touch point nothing will happen.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

It's not Apple's fault there are left handed mutants out there :p

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The crown was introduced as the next great input method behind the mouse, the click wheel, and multitouch displays. It is serves a critical purpose and is a link to the heritage of timekeeping. It isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: ajcgn

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
The crown was introduced as the next great input method behind the mouse, the click wheel, and multitouch displays. It is serves a critical purpose and is a link to the heritage of timekeeping. It isn't going anywhere.

The heritage of timekeeping? Digital display's wouldn't be in that heritage, so why would a crown, or lack thereof, matter?

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI

I totally agree. I was THRILLED when it was shown. I had fears of pinching that tiny screen to zoom in and out. It is brilliant to come up with a way to zoom that does not block the screen.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In my opinion they will never get rid of it. I think they designed the watch with the crown and the way it functions as part of the user experience. I also don't think on a device that small there is technically no other way of offering the same functionality.

To me, it looks like they decided on the crown first, then made up a UI to go with it.

$20 says they dump the rectangle shape for round, and then add a rotating bezel to do the same functionality as the crown.

From recent patents and rumors, Samsung is already supposed to be coming out with a smartwatch with a rotating bezel for input.

Except that Jony Ive specifically stated the crown was a way to interact with the watch without obstructing the view of the display. Not sure how good a rotating bezel would fit this design.

Sure it does. Think about turning a knob without covering it. Easy.

As for the supposed importantance of not obscuring a display, that's a major reason why most of the early large screened smartphones included a slide out physical keyboard... which left the ENTIRE screen open to view. Apple instead obscured half their smartphone screen with a software keyboard. But that's hypocritically supposed to be okay. Don't even get me started on inertial scrolling vs using a non-obscuring scrollbar or cursor pad.

I'll guess never. They built the unique OS around that as an advantage, compared to other wearable OSes that use pinch/zoom where you cant see anything on the screen when you do it.

Sounds like you're echoing that interview with Tim Cook, where he used this same strawman argument to diss the competition.

Please name a smartwatch that uses pinch-zoom as part of its core UI.

Android Wear doesn't. Tizen on a smartwatch doesn't. So what's left?

I've only seen a couple that do, and in both cases a pinch action is used to close the current screen and/or go back Home. In other words, where it doesn't matter if the screen is temporarily covered. (Think of similar special multi-finger gestures on an iPad that cover most of the screen.)

As for Apple, even they only use the Crown once in a while. You still scroll the homepage icons around the Watch display with an obscuring finger. You still swipe with an obscuring finger for choosing a new watchface. You still cover buttons with a finger.

The fact is, even with the Watch UI, your finger will cover items on the screen quite often. The only way to never obscure a screen is to stop using touch and go back to a cursor pad or stick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.