How long till find friends is iOS 7+ only?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by byke, May 23, 2014.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Now that FaceTime has been disabled for iOS 6 users, how long do you think it will be before find friends is also deactivated?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That was due to a bug/problem and not a decision by apple to shut it down. So to answer your question about find my friends won't be disabled by apple.

3. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Yeah, a "bug", sure.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Think what you will, the fact remains it was not an explicit decision to turn off FaceTime but a problem with the digital cert.

5. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

They can easily update that certificate.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This discussion isn't about that iOS6/facetime but rather the OP was wondering about Find my Friends on iOS7 and its lifespan.

Clearly nothing I write will change you mind on the topic and vice versa and its not fair to the OP to derail the thread any further.

7. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Fair enough

8. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

Cheers for the input guys, I do really hope that Find friends doesn't find a similar bug.

As FaceTime worked good for a long time, before it stopped working and would be very disappointed if the same thing happened to this app (or even maps)

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not likely that Apple themselves would do something like that (at least not anytime soon). However, could there be some security issue or something of that sort that might get in the way, as has been the case with FaceTime recently, that's always a possibility with anything really, but it's hard to predict something like that.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Apple could patch the 'security issue'. It's BS.

11. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It was patched in an iOS 7 update...

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

And an iOS 6 update as well...just one that wasn't made available to all iOS 6-capable devices (only those not capable of iOS 7).

13. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

To Apple iOS is one software, not 7 different softwares. iOS 6 is just the latest version of iOS for those devices, for the rest it is 7.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think find my friends will be working on iOS 7 as long as possible

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's not really how it works, not to Apple even.

16. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Yes it is, this isn't OS X, iTunes says "this device isn't eligible for the requested build" a build is a version of a program, in this case iOS.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's certainly reading way too much into that.

18. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

So you think that iOS 6 and iOS 7 are completely different programs?

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Diffefent enough, of course. For example, there is a reason why some apps designed for iOS 7 won't work with iOS 6 or other versions, and, no, it's not just arbitrary decission on the developer's part or something like that. Not to mention the whole 64-bit part that just came into play with iOS 7 and what that involved under the hood. Versions can and often build on each other, but they also can and often change things to making them different enough than some certain continuation of previous versions.

20. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

That is because iOS 6 doesn't have the same APIs as 7 or 64-Bit support, not just because it's restricted to a newer version.

If anything does happen to Find My Friends, I'm not sure how Apple would fix it for iOS 6 devices, because it requires iOS 7, I assume they would just drop support for older versions of iOS. It isn't as important as a security issue and Apple doesn't want to be continuing to update iOS 6 and giving the 3GS updates in 2014.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

So clearly iOS 6 and 7 are in fact different enough (not just some superficial change to te looks) as you yourself point out.

No one expected for an iOS 6 update to come out this year and assumed they would not see something like that happen, and yet here we are. Assumptions are just that, while reality is reality.

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

To be honest, why does it matter? If you like iOS 6 and stay on iOS 6, you can't control when it won't be supported on iOS 6 so why bother worrying.

23. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

So just the iPod touch 4th generation then?

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPhone 3GS?

25. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

did that have a FaceTime option?