How Long Till Mac Pro Update?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zorg, Mar 15, 2008.

1. zorg macrumors regular

How long do you guys think it will be until a significant Mac Pro upgrade? My significant I mean something like a G5 upgrade from a G4. Just curious here...

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

1 year

3. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

There wont be anything that significant, intel tend to do bi=yearly releases and there's not much difference from one to the other.

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

January 2009. I'm buying a current one soon, and another computer I've got will need replacing in January, as I'm giving it to my mother. So I'll get that too :D

5. zorg thread starter macrumors regular

Is this just speculation, or is there actual proof?

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Perhaps you didn't notice the name of this website is MacRumors?

7. Synthabusion macrumors newbie

The Mac Pro was just recently updated so it will be a while before the next update no matter what. The Nehalem chips are not supposed to be released until late 2008. So my guess would be another January update at the earliest.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It took over a year before the last update happened. No one knows for sure when the next update will be, except maybe Mr. Jobs

9. Roy macrumors 6502

511 days.

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

All the information out there points to it being a significant update, it's the current Mac Pros that weren't a major step forward.

11. cane creek macrumors member

i cant max out my current mac pro and i run some very hungrey audio plugins so a updated MP would serve no purpose to me , if you want a mac pro buy one now ;)

12. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Definitely January 2009. When Penryn was announced late 2007 the MacPro came out January 2008 as you all know. Nehalem will get announced late 2008, bringing the new MacPro to the surface in 2009. :) But I am extremely happy with this machine for the time being.

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If it happens in 2009, it will be at or around MacWorld or WWDC.

14. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

In terms of enclosure properties, I don't see a need for an update. The Mac Pro is a VERY well engineered machine. Its insides are organized much better than its ancestors' and it has far superior airflow. The drive trays are a great feature and the memory risers are relatively easy to access. :D
    The ONLY thing I would like to see fixed is BTO eSATA instead of us having to hijack the onboard SATA and run it out the back of the enclosure.

15. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yep. It took 511 days for the Mac Pro to be updated. While I don't know if Apple will hose the Mac Pro line by neglecting it for another 511 days, I would guess a moderate estimate to be 18 months, so July 09. If it happens in January 09 hey that's great. But their track record says otherwise.

I agree with several others that say the case doesn't need a redesign. It is an extremely well-engineered case. And I'm perfectly happy with my Harpertown.

16. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Yeah, does anyone have "proof"?

The new Mac pros are very fast machines,.. the 1st gen intel mac pros are very fast machines as well. I would like to know what you are doing that requires more than the top of the line maxed out Mac Pro (or a few of them).

17. cane creek macrumors member

when you produce music on a mac alot of folk like me use use virtual instruments and effects each instrument/effect you use takes a percentage of CPU/memory so keep adding instruments/effects to a project/song and eventually you max out the machine , so music wise us producers are always looking for the most powerful machines as our music projects/songs get more bigger/adventurous.

At this very moment my new Mac pro is performing very well with the current instruments/effects on the market however as time goes on the newer virtual instruments/effect get my complexed and cpu/memory hungry then you find yourself looking for a more powerful mac..

A track/song im currently working on is using all 8 cores each running at about 30%.

18. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The machine that's quasi-due for an update now is the iMac. I think the iMac line will be receiving new processors, larger HDs, and updated video card soon.

2.0GHz is the entry level iMac. I think that will be bumped to 2.4GHz and we'll be seeing a 2.6GHz and a 3.16GHz possibly. Sometime soon.

As for Mac Pro, the current lineup is new...really new (January). Don't expect to see any upgrades to this lineup until November or December, when a possible faster model (Faster Harpertown or possibly dual-6 Core) will be intro'd

19. goldenlotus macrumors regular

When the updated MPs came out didn't apple call them "early 2008 MPs" ?

That would lead me to believe that there would be a late 2008 MP. Maybe not though...

20. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

They use "early 2008" to denote the Harpertown Macs intro'd January 2008 (2.8Ghz quad and 8-core, 3.0GHz 8-core, and 3.2GHz 8-core) from the Woodcrest (2006 2.0GHz Quad, 2.66GHz quad, 3.0GHz Quad) and 2007 Clovertown (3.0GHz 8-Core 65-nm 667MHz RAM bus) machines.

There is no word from Apple, rumors, or insider sources at the moment speculating on when or what will come of future Mac Pro intros. We do know that a 6-core Xeon processor is in the works, and this will likely result in a 12-core Mac Pro machine, but we may not see it until next year.

-Ward

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would just think "early" mac pro would just indicate that these harpertown mac pros were just released in "early" this year. and the next update would be in 2009 and call it either again, "early," "mid" or "late.";)

22. krye macrumors 68000

krye

You won't see anything until 12 cores next January. Now is the time to buy.

Besides, it'll be like when 8 cores came out. First it will appear as a ridiculously expensive BTO before being standard.

23. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Lets get a pool going. Can I have January 19th, 2009?

24. LyrumusX macrumors newbie

Anyone?

Anyone wanna take a stab at what the odds would be of the next MP update including the next offering from nVidia? The GeForce 9800 series I think? And would this interplay with the coming of OpenGL 3.0 and/or PCI-E 3.0 at all? Any benefits other than to the most hardcore among us?

25. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

As long as there is at least an 11xx series out, Apple seems to stay about 2 generations behind, :p