How long till the iPhone Nano?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ssampath, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ssampath macrumors member

With all this news about Android now outselling the iPhone particularly in the US, I keep wondering if Apple has to produce a less expensive phone to counter the Droid army and the low cost Chinese phones that are said to be coming.
    It would seem like all these rumors that the iPhone 5 will have a 4" display set the iPhone Nano up just right? 3.2" non-retina display, 4-8 GB Flash, last years processor (which would be the A4?), plastic like 3GS (does that keep the cost down?). I would think such a phone would be free with a contract? Wonder if such a phone will eat into iPhone sales!

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

They have a less expensive model, it's called last years model, which most people don't want anyway. Everyone wants the latest thing, so why offer a dumbed down version?

3. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

That will never happen because the iPhone does not have resolution/device independence like Android does. For every iPhone model and screen size/resolution, the developers have to specifically code for it whereas in Android, the operating system takes care of finalizing how the application is displayed.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Android is selling out faster because there are multiple manufacturers who sell them, on multiple networks. Apple won't create a cheaper product to compete because they aren't competing with those lower end Androids, they are competing with the "bad boys" (HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix). Apple hasn't made a cheaper product to compete (example: their computers) so I doubt they will. Plus, what do you want from an iPhone nano? A phone that has the iPhone name but can't run stuff from the App Store, or browse the web nicely (basically a dumb phone?)

5. ssampath thread starter macrumors member

They do make a whole range of iPods and they do make the plastic Mac Book? Also such a phone could use the older 480x320 resolution so there is relatively small impact on the apps. I feel if they think they can make money on this they would do it - maybe they can just sell it in China/India/Brazil?

6. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Its never gonna happen, there have been rumours with every model released and every year nothing has come to fruition.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I mean, we don't have a $600 MacBook. Apple sells the 3GS for $50 which is very affordable, competitive, and not a piece of junk. IMO.
    Apple has set their own standard for products. They aren't going to cut corners to make the product more accessible.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People want an iPhone with a larger screen not a smaller one.

9. ssampath thread starter macrumors member

As a 4 year iPhone owner I would be very disappointed if the iPhone and iOS are marginalized because of the ubiquitous presence of Android phones. We could loose out on the next generation of apps and future upgrades to the phone. I think Apple should try and maintain at least a 20% market share so something like this does not happen. The Mac did not maintain market share for a while and many developers abandoned it - though since the return of Jobs things have been going much better.

Maybe if an iPhone Nano is not the way to go - an iPhone pro? one with a keyboard? Something to broaden the reach in the market.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you look at apple's lineup not just phones they really don't offer too many inexpensive products. Theyre not about competing for the value market nor do they try to compete wi volume

Apple is content making a single device that reaches the majority of people. The iPhone 4 is such a device.

11. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

The iPhone Nano will never happen, and neither will an iPhone with a keyboard. Apple's iPhone is all about being one of the best touch screen phones ever created. Why would you want to add a stupid keyboard on a phone with the most sexy slim design you have ever seen.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

oh god not these rumors again...please

there's 100 iPhone nano threads every year leading up to WWDC.

and Apple isn't really struggling to compete. They sell just about every iPhone they can produce...if anything they need to drive down demand (kidding, obviously!)

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Where is your /thread? I'm quite disappointed right now.

16. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Umm You know just about "never going to happen" amount of years

17. X2468 macrumors regular

iPhone nano, the first iPhone under the $199 price point.

18. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I love how the iPhone right now isn't 'big enough' and the screen NEEDS TO BE BIGGER. And then you have people asking about a SMALLER iPhone. No one is ever happy.

19. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Or they could just lower the price of the iPhone 4 to a sub $199 price point after the release of the iPhone 5...

20. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

You people are so narrow minded, is it really impossible for you to think about what other people might want?

My parents for example don't want a huge iPhone, but a half size one with less features they wouldn't need, sure thing.

Keep sticking your fingers in those ears, but Apple would be silly not to make an iPhone Nano since there is a large group of people who would buy it

21. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Just because your parents want a half arsed iPhone doesn't mean Apple should make on. ;)

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course if apple did come out with a nano, nearly everyone who posted a negative post will be stating out innovative apple is by producing such a product :p

23. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

and how apple "nailed it" :)