Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I generally keep stuff until it dies. I think my 2009 Mini is the newest machine I have right now. My gaming PC is about two years old. My old "gaming machine" is an old P4 beige box that I turned into an Ubuntu box. I actually don't know how old it is. I got it in 2007 after somebody brought it to me to fix, then decided to replace it and let me have it. All it needed was a new hard drive, which I replaced and it is still running. I figure I'll keep it going until a major component like the motherboard dies. I just want to see how long that thing can last.

My 5 year old Powerbook is probably next to die. The hard drive is grinding, and it randomly drops wireless. I know it's blasphemy around here, but I'm actually considering replacing it with a Windows notebook. Or actually, buying a Windows notebook and reloading it with Linux. I really can't afford or justify the $1000+ for the cheapest MBP.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My iMac is from 2004 and my MacBook is from 2008. I'll probably get a new desktop in 2011. Perhaps an ipad 2 and I'll sell my MacBook if iPad is compelling enough.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I guess a desktop every 5-6 years, especially after buying a Mac Pro.

My laptops probably 2-3 years, right before applecare runs out for better return.

However it all depends on what is released. I almost ditched the early 08 MBP for a unibody just because they seem more durable. However since I can wait, I want to see where they go with the next round of updates.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
My current laptop is the longest serving Mac I've owned at 18months. I'm likely gonna upgrade to sandy bridge and then stop there for two years at least.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I would fill that 128GB overnight! :p I know it lacks CPU power but as you might know, my computing needs aren't very heavy. As long as MR works I'll be happy :D
yeh pretty easy to fill that - but store it on a networked drive or something ;) lol MR-clan-addict

I would probably get dual 24"s ;) I'm fine with TN panels since I don't do photo editing or stuff like that.
good call. eyeFinity!, make it 3 monitors ;)

I know it! She is hyper-excited about getting my MBP. It will be her first just like it was my first.
oooohhhh exciting stuff! how far is that off?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
3 years, as soon as the warranty is up, it's worthless to me, if it dies, I can't afford Apples ridiculously high service charges, easier to just get a new machine than risk being bitten by some £800 charge....

My iMac that I bought about 5 years ago when in college is now my mums machine, it's a shame that such a powerful machine has been degraded to simple email and internet use, but there we go, at least it's still running, although my mum has a terrible history of completely destroying any technology she comes into contact with, so I'm just waiting for the day she kills my machine for good... It's served me well though.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
As for keeping the computer around as the main or secondary/backup machine, I would say the average is six years. But as for having it as my main computer, I have what averages out to a three year average which is longer than most.

I just can't afford a new machine every year or two years.

New iBook 1999, new restocked floor model PC laptop 1999, refurbished Mac mini 2007, new PC laptop 2010.

If I had it over to do, I would have bought an entry level Powerbook G3 in 1999 instead of getting an iBook and similarly priced PC laptop, then a bare bones $399 dollar Compaq tower two or three years later, then the Mac mini, and then the current PC laptop.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
In the past I've replaced my Mac at about the 5-year mark. My 1993 Performa 600CD was replaced in 1998 with a Bondi Blue iMac that was replaced in 2003 by this iMac (listed in sig). Based on that replacement cycle I'm overdue for a new Mac, but there has hasn't been nor is there anything currently in Apple's lineup that I want to spend my money on...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Typically 2 years for me, but this iMac is more than 2 years old now and I have no intention to upgrade in the short-term future. I'm hoping this iMac will last me longer, 3-4 years maybe.

On the other hand, I almost caved when I saw the newer model iMacs with the 16:9 displays. But I held resilient, though I don't know if I could hold out if Apple decides to put Blu-Ray in one of those things (yeahhh like that's gonna happen :D)

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
oooohhhh exciting stuff! how far is that off?
I will be getting the next generation MBP, but at the earliest March. That is unless the new MBP's do the "ram soldered to the board" crap. If that happens I will buy the 2010 model, as I like being able to upgrade.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
I have had my Macbook Pro for a couple of years, will get a couple more out of her until i decide to replace.

My iMac, i have had for 5 months so no change of replacement yet.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My current desktop is a 2006 iMac. Upgraded the RAM 2 years ago, and the HDD last year. The DVD drive works 50% of the time but other than that this machine is a freakin trooper!
Can't wait to buy a new one though, probably get one of those 27" monsters next year. But... till death do us part.

Used to get a new laptop every 2 years but my iPod touch has replaced the need for them.

Also running a 2006 iPod Shuffle and 2007 iPod 5.5G.

My oldest piece of hardware is a 6 year old HDD that I use for my iTunes library. 300gb and bought in late 2004. Still alive!

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Well, I no longer use desktop PC's, I've not used them for 6/7 years or so.

I now exclusively use Laptops/MacBooks with the exception of a desktop PC at work.

I pretty much use Laptops etc till they die, or im forced to replace them.

My history with laptops/macbooks are as follows:

Toshiba Laptop -had it for a couple of years, then dropped it on it's corner, smashed the side of the screen, it died a slow death. Overall a decent laptop, and pretty tough too.

HP Laptop -had it just over a year before the screen started to die, the graphics card started to die too, before long I had a tonne of lines down the screen, the build quality was horrid, and it just died, was a total bag of crap.

Samsung Laptop -had it about 2 years or so, brilliant laptop, really good spec and was a great price, build quality was pretty decent. I was broken into unfortunately, and it was stolen -gutted.

Macbook -bought it for a cheap price, it was my introduction to Apple Macs, really impressed, overall it was decent but not powerful enough, I sold it a few months later, and made a nice little profit which financed my next purchase.

MacBook Pro 13" -my current laptop, great spec, runs well, looking to buy a SSD at some point.

Thats me!

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Longest i've gone was 5 years with a desktop PC. Built a new system in the Spring of 2006 and bought a MacBook that summer, so just approaching the 5 year mark for both systems. Both are running beautifully though, so I don't feel any urge to replace them. I do need to replace the hard drive in the MacBook however, i've never gone this long on a hard drive without replacing it so i'm starting to get anxious about replacing it before it can fail. Everything is on an external drive at least, and backed up to a Time Capsule.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I try and upgrade my notebook every 2 years, and my desktop ever 4-5 years. I also replace my iPod Touch every other generation and will probably do the same with my iPad.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
About 4 years usually. I'm hoping my 2008 aluminum macbook will last a little longer than that though. I might just spring for an SSD within the next 2 years to make it last.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I bought my MacBook Pro Oct 2008 and have been using it since (wish I had waited, as the unibody refresh was only a few months later). It still works good, but it is due for replacement. I'm hoping to buy an iMac and keep it for 5 years.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I upgrade on a 3-4 year cycle. I need to keep my current MBP until the end of high school, and I am a freshman :). I will upgrade when it comes time for college, but that is far away from now. ;)

I'm in the same exact boat as him ^^

I got a Dell Dimension 8400 (3.2ghz pentium 4, 1gb ram, 160gb hdd, ati radeon x300) in November 2004.

Then I got a Dell inspiron E550 (core duo - 1.73ghz, 2gb ram, 120Gb hdd, ati radeon x1400) in February 2007

Then I built a PC (see my signature) in Jan 2010

And I got my MacBook pro in July 2010

The only reason I replaced the laptop is because I really wanted a Mac, and my laptop had a shot battery, broken keys, flimsy display, bogged down with programs and stuff like that.

I wasn't careful with it so it went quickly. I think If I'm good with my Mac, then i'll keep it for the next 3.5 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.