Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
After playing with a 7+ at a local I came away disliking the home button. It doesn't feel like a button at all and the bottom of the phone vibrates. How long did it take for owners to become used to the home button? I tried the 3 built in settings and none felt good.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
After playing with a 7+ at a local I came away disliking the home button. It doesn't feel like a button at all and the bottom of the phone vibrates. How long did it take for owners to become used to the home button? I tried the 3 built in settings and none felt good.

I actually like it more than the physical button and look forward to pressing it.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Not going to lie, I hated the home button when I initially got my phone. Tried the three different options and thought to myself, "That's it?" But... I got really used to it pretty quick and can safely say I actually like it!

Reactions: bbeagle

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Got used to it immediately. Very intuitive and much quieter than the audible click my 6S+ would make.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Not going to lie, I hated the home button when I initially got my phone. Tried the three different options and thought to myself, "That's it?" But... I got really used to it pretty quick and can safely say I actually like it!

I think if the vibration was directly under the button it would feel much closer to feeling like a button.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
I instantly was accustomed to it. I love it. But I have an embracing personality towards change, too.

schlaufox

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2013
Took me about 3.50 seconds to get used to it, the button on my iPad Pro feels weird now.

Tried an iPhone 7 in an Apple Store today and yup, took maybe three seconds to get used to it. Tried out the different click levels, too.

I already much prefer it to a physical button. Somehow it works better with the animations in iOS, over a physical button.

Last edited:

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
How long did it take for owners to become used to the home button
One second. After the first press I though: Damn, that solid state button is ****ing great.

The mechanical version on my iPhone 6S feels now really bad and cheap.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Loved it straight away, feels so smooth and sure. Also reminds me a lot of the atv4 remote click, even though that's physical.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
My phone won't be here till Tuesday but I went to the Apple Store today and was pretty used to it rather quickly the one thing that threw me off was reachability was OFF by default I thought the touch sensitive home button was having an issue activiating the feature I use all the time on my 6S+. But once I turned it on all was fine.

ZeroGauge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
PA
Personally I LOVE the new home button. It took me a little bit to get used to when I needed to double click to close out apps running in the background but other than that I'm loving it so far.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Took me about 10 minutes and haven't looked back since. This is a non-issue. I'd be shocked if anyone returned their phone due to this.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I think if the vibration was directly under the button it would feel much closer to feeling like a button.

It is directly under the button on my phone. I keep seeing people saying the whole bottom of their phone vibrates when they press the home button, but mine isn't like that at all. It feels just the same as the previous home buttons to me, like an actual physical click.

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I got used to mine within a day, I like it now. Currently keeping it on the #1 setting.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
I got used to it in a couple minutes. The only thing I don't like about it is sometimes when I'm using my phone while it's laying on a table I use my fingernail to press the home button. That doesn't work with the new button. But I'm adapting and do it by accident less and less now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.