how long to wait to get an upgraded replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SPNarwhal, Apr 13, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

my macbook pro has had a few repairs, same reason,
    and now i'm having problems with it again.
    i'm going to call apple and ask for a replacement, because it's getting ridiculous.
    i've waited to contact them until this update because i know that a lot of the time they just give you one of the new models as a replacement for yours, whichever size and that closest matches your specs blah blah blah.

how long do you think i should wait to call them where they'll give me one of these new updated ones?

don't say that they replace with old refurbished ones, because that's not true. i'm not taking someone's old broken and repaired one for exchange of mine.
    and i've never heard of them giving anyone a refurbished replacement, always new. so please don't tell me they'll just do that. not trying to be rude here, just that i've been told that before and it's kinda annoying. i just want the main question answered.

thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If they're out now, why not call now?

Your attitude problem aside, depending on what model you are wanting to have replaced you will get the exact same model as a replacement. For example if you have a C2D Unibody Macbook Pro up for replacement, odds are you'll get the same model in return since they have plenty of stock.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As Apple still might have plenty of pre-i5/7 MBPs on stock, they will use those.

And refurbished ones are fine too, they have been repaired, and many users on this and other forums use the refurbished section to get their Macs.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    But I wanted to be rude today.

4. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

They're going to give you a refurb, no matter how bad you dont want to hear it.

5. nconnella macrumors regular

I ordered mine today. The only difference was my replacement was already approved before the update. I just waited to fullfill it until now :)

6. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i'm not trying to give attitude, i just didn't want a bunch of people being like "oh you're going to get a refurbished one"
    because they said that to me last time i asked about a replacement.
    honestly, i'm not trying to say that in any rude way whatsoever,
    i'm just trying to save time and pointless responses.

i have a 17" early 2009 model. 2.66GHz.

like you said, they have plenty of the other in stock right now so most likely they will replace it with that,
    which is why i asked how long i should wait until i call them.
    i mean, obviously nobody knows exactly how long or anything,
    but maybe a rough estimate?
    maybe someone with past experience?

i know it depends on the person i get on the phone too,
    they might just update me for free to be nice because of all the problems i've had. but who knows.

7. nconnella macrumors regular

Not true. You will get the closest current gen comparison. It will be new. See my post above. The senior advisor doesn't pick from old equipment, only what they see in the main applestore. See my above post.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ok. I'll disagree with you on grounds of personal experience, but we can agree to disagree.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Of course it will vary person to person given the circumstances. Like everyone said, strong chance that you will end up with a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. To play the waiting game would be foolish. Apple has a lot of old MacBook Pro's in reserves so if you're thinking they'll run out, they won't.

The best way in TRYING to get a new Core iX MacBook Pro is to ask and see what they say. Other than that, you're looking at a Core 2 Duo as a replacement.

10. Macchino macrumors regular

My replacement was setup today, and its a spanking new i5...

11. that1dj macrumors member

OK. I've got a question regarding these replacements. I have a late 2007 MBP 15" and I've already had screen replaced, the optical drive replaced, and the top case replaced (new keyboard/trackpad, etc).

Just last night, I put it to sleep and the next time I opened the lid to use it, I got nothing. No response at all. I held the power button down to force it off, waited, then turned it back on. It sounded like I heard some hard drive activity, but still nothing on the screen. Waited a minute or so and still nothing. After forcing it off and turning it on again, I heard the Apple startup sound and what sounded like more hard drive activity and still nothing on the screen.

This would be a fourth repair on this MBP which is still covered under AppleCare. Would I be able to request a replacement? This is getting quite frustrating.

12. diehldun macrumors 6502a

I have had almost a dozen "major" repairs done on my mid-2007 MBP (i.e. replaced screens twice, top case replaced twice, new hard drive, new graphics card and motherboard). Just about everything that can be replaced has been.

Had I known circa 2007 machines can still qualify for replacement units, I would have pursued that opportunity before my AppleCare runs out this Fall.

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

From what I understand, they will replace it if you have already gone through three "major" repairs. The top case doesn't contribute to that count. While it certainly may be possible to get it replaced right now, I wouldn't expect them to do it.

They do replace machines for reasons other than 3+ major repairs, though I am not sure how common that is. I've had machines replaced simply because their repair service pissed me off after a series of minor repairs, though I believe that they were trying to make me happy regarding the issues of rude, incompetent employees rather than a faulty system.

14. LightMast macrumors regular

How long did it take (from them ordering the replacement) for you to get it?