How long until 32GB iPhone 3G? Best guesses?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patd9000, Jul 1, 2008.

1. patd9000 macrumors newbie

What's everyone's best guess, at how long we will wait before we see the 32GB iPhone 3G?

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

My best guess is sometime in November ahead of the Christmas shopping season, or certainly by MWSF 2009 in early January at the latest.

3. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I say two months after the release of iPhone 3G that wat apple can get rid of the 199 and keep the 299 16GB and have the 399 32GB

4. Juo100 macrumors regular

If Apple where being logical Id guess sometime before Christmas to cash in on the sales. Apple being Apple probably January. As the iPod touch seems 1 step ahead presumably we would be seeing a 64gb iPod touch as well.

5. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'd agree with that.

6. shk718 macrumors 65816

not untill macworld - their ramping up production of this version for xmass. They will offer new features for xmass (i.e. the new background messanging feature - perhaps cut and paste) and fix any bugs/complaints they get with this version and offer more apps/developers into the app store. This will all happen a few months before xmass.

7. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I can see your point but I don't think apple would dump the $199 at that price point. I would think they may drop the 8gb and bring down the 16gb.... but in the end, they probably will just have all 3 of them with the 32gb $100 more.

8. animenick65 macrumors 6502

I doubt they will drop the 8gb. There is still enough demand for it to keep it going. 32gb memory is still expensive enough that they may not be able to provide a 32gb model at a $300 price point.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Sometime after a flash-memory company invents smaller flash chips so it can fit within an iPhone.

10. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Just in time for Santa to get his grubby little hands on it! :D

11. VideoShooter macrumors regular

I'm kinda torn... I want a 32 gigger... Hell, I have a 160 gb classic and want a bigger one of those. Mostly I just want to carry everything everywhere all the time.

Can you imagine a 200GB iphone with wimax, wifi, 3g+, tethering and a 10 mp camera that shoots HD video?

It's coming my friends... it's coming. Ok... so it's a LONG LONG LONG time away... but it's coming.

12. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

and yet. here i am fine with the 16GB....
    i doubt anyone can listen to 32GB of music...... let alone 16GB..

but thats just my opinion.

13. VideoShooter macrumors regular

Honestly... it's not the audio I'm worried about. its the Video.

Who wants to constantly manage their files on their phone?

14. Neo110503 macrumors regular

I'd say they do what they did with 1.0. Wait and see which phone sells better and drop the other and introduce a 32 gig about six months from the 11th. But this time i don't think they will give rebates for early buys.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You are forgetting the memory is for MORE than music. It's for contacts, iCal dates, apps, video, and buffer for the iPhone OS too.

Let's say the avg iPhone app is 500MBs (the largest allowable app is 2GB!). 16GB doesn't leave you a whole lot of space. I'm already at the brink with my 8GB iPhone, and I have no 3rd party apps, only 1 feature movie, about 25 contacts, 6 mos worth of appointments, and 3GB worth of music at the moment. The extra 8 GB only gets you a few apps unless you dump more music.

Yup, I suspect once people get their paws on the 16GB and start loading it up they are going to find it crampt. The 8GB will be the eqiv of last years 4. The 32GB will soon follow just like the 16GB popped a few months after the 8GB and the 4 was EOL'd.

16. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Hah! I've got about 45GB of music on my 80GB, and I think I've gone through all of it twice since I've had it. I just put it on shuffle albums, and let it go. I do a lot of driving for my work, so there's where most of my music listening goes.

17. Mad Max24 macrumors member

I hear no 32GB iPhone, Apple doesn't want to hurt iPod sales.

18. animenick65 macrumors 6502

Lets face it, this is still a phone and flash memory technology and price aren't at the point where they can throw in 64gb worth of memory and still keep the price relativley affordable. Right now the iPhone is basically a device that does many things pretty damn well. It holds enough music to allow for a good selection if your away on travel or vacation. I personally have my computer randomly select songs to import to my 16gb iPod touch. I get a diverse selection and have about a weeks worth of music. I also have a couple of movies, video and audio podcasts and a few hundred photos. I sync it in the morning and in a few minutes its ready to go with everything I need for the day in an easy to use device. If and when I get an iPhone, it will be even better.

19. Crossbone macrumors regular

It's because there is no room inside the phone for more than 16 GB chips (or two 8 GBs i dont know how they do it, 2 chips or one).

20. DrJason macrumors newbie

If you look at all the iPods (besides the shuffle) on the Mac Rumors Buyer's Guide, they all say "Don't Buy - Updates soon", traditionally Apple has updated most of the iPods in September right after the big school sale season. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we saw iPod Classic, Touch, and Nano updates in September and then iPhone updates shortly after if not at the same time. Just my $0.02

21. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

wow... just wow... this is wrong on so many levels. we WILL get a 32gb and it will come within the next 6 months.... probably december/january.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, but I think before Christmas is the most likely.

23. trefaie macrumors newbie

i dont think it will be as soon as the above posts think. Apple just purchased 50 million 8gb chips.....i doubt they will make 32gb in the next 6months

24. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Macworld 2009, baby! :cool:

If not, June 2009 to mark iPhone's second birthday. ;)

R-Fly