How long until jailbreak avaialble on Verizon i4 ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

If I dump Android, and come back to Apple, first time since my iPhone1, I like the idea of Jailbreaking, to add widgets and notifications to make the iPhone4 much better than the boring and dated stock version.

I would go for the Verizon version, but approx how long will we have to wait for a untethered jailbreak to come out for the V-i4 ?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No way to know until someone can get their hands on one

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Seriously man, how on earth do you expect anyone to know?

I swear I sometimes feel dumber after reading some of the threads on these forums.

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Easy, sorry I asked, geeze. Never get these type of replies at XDA Developers.

I would think that maybe someone got a hold of a test / engineer sample early maybe or something ? Or knows exactly which iOS and detailed version it has and other misc stuff, before it goes public ?

5. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

6. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

7. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Man I'd love to not flame you like the rest of the people here but do people get these for android.. cmon

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Approximately, 5 weeks.

9. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

For an example look at Android. The Nexus-S was the first phone that officially came stock with the newest OS = 2.3 Gingerbread. There were people with 2.3 roms on XDA before the Nexus-S even hit the stores. And once the N-S did release, it was all over XDA forums for people to hack and install on their own Android.

I just thought the iPhone might be similar ? The Verizon version is still an iPhone4, just running the newest OS version, I thought maybe it could be hacked and jailbroke rather quickly, because it is not a brand new phone on Verizon really, still the same thing the hackers have seen the last 7 months, just an updated OS version. But how come the Android OS can be leaked or hacked before it is even officially released on a phone, and XDA has roms for it right away ?

I guess, it just doesn't work that way. Sorry I asked.

10. el-John-o, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

el-John-o macrumors 65816

You don't need to attack the poor guy!

Obviously nobody will know for sure, sometimes the OS is jailbroken before it's even released (the beta seeded to developers) sometimes it's months.

One word of caution, it's been months and there is not UNTETHERED OR Semi-Tethered Jailbreak availble for iOS 4.2.1. I'm not going to complain about it, it's not like anyone is really paying those guys, but I for one would never use an tethered JB on my phone (I did on my iPad though.) The scenario I dread is this, phone dies, hurry up get it to the car, plug it in... but if you have a tethered JB your phone will not boot until you get it to a computer. So far, that has never happened to me (phone shut off when I wasn't near a computer), but the fact that it could scares me, if it scares you too, then don't base your purchase on a jailbreaking prospect, it could take time.

I think you will enjoy the iPhone 4 alot more than your iPhone 1. It's on an individual basis as to why someone would prefer Android over iOS, or vice versa. There are advantages to each, if Widgets and the like are important to you, stick with Android.

Now, Comex is promising a 4.3 untethered jailbreak, and he's a developer so he's already got his hands on 4.3, we will wait and see. This doesn't mean it will work for the Verizon model, but sometimes with these things it only takes a minor tweak to get it to work, you never know.

So the moral of the story, don't buy it expecting to jailbreak, for now at least. It's almost definitely going to be jailbroken, but it may not be for months and months (untethered, that is)

The thing is, they do already have 4.3, the version that will likely ship with the Verizon iPhone. However, a piece of software called baseband is (for lack of a better term) the 'Driver' for the cellular radio. Since currently, baseband is meant to work on a GSM radio, it's logical to assume it will be different for the CDMA version. So, jailbroken Verizon phone? Yeah probably, but you couldn't make a phone call! They will not only need to jailbreak 4.3, but do seperate tweaks to get the CDMA and GSM version of baseband working.

So the point is, when 4.3 is jailbroken (might happen before it's released, you never know), it might only work for GSM phones, even though that's the OS that the Verizon iPhone will use, make sense?
    -John

11. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you el-John for the mature and professional reply, much appreciated.

I will wait until their is an untethered jailbreak for 4.3 until I buy the iPhone4...but then again if the iPhone5 is just a couple months away by that time, I will just wait for the i5, it should have features included by default that "cydia" has, or at least I hope Apple wakes up, and changes the stale phone already, and finally officially adds widgets, and notifications as a standard on the iPhone.

12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

2 weeks, three hours, and twenty five minutes. that was easy :)

13. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

On Android forums, the answers to my post would be; Hack will be out in a week or so, or maybe not for a month or so. But would be helpful and friendly, and knowledgeable.

Not these smart ass teenager replies. If you have nothing good to say, why even reply period to this thread.

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Welcome to the MacRumors Iphone Hacks forum, the normal iPhone forum is a bit softer for anyone with thin skin.

I am an old XDA member myself, love that community :)

15. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks :) XDA is great. The smartest developers around and friendly community.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Comex is saving his untethered jb for 4.3
    I assume that should work on both gsm and CDMA iPhones.
    But we gotta wait and see.

17. bella92108 macrumors 68000

+1000 on your comments.

He may as well have asked what the winning numbers will be to tomorrow's lotto. LOL

18. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

I'm not a teenager, but all your posts have been android this, android that it's so awesome iPhone is old and out of date. Why get one then? You want to buy it to hack it right away without using it since the first phone?

Like I said, If your droid does what you want, stick with it.

Their firmware is also open source. Apples is not. Oh and mostly java and a direct rip from oracles source code lol

19. bella92108 macrumors 68000

It's so true. Android forum users are much more mature. Here everyone just tries to one up each other. I think the iPhone is having it's masculinity challenged by android right now hehe. Even the jailbreak trams are at war lately. I see android dominating 2011 unfortunately, and the divisiveness of the people on here only disenfranchises people more.

20. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the info.

21. CZK macrumors 6502a

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

It always takes a few weeks to a month or two before a new JB comes out.. Sometimes it could be months, and it can also be very hard with a lot of steps. Each JB is a bit different, and for the last year or so they have been very easy. That is not always guaranteed. Sometimes they JB it before it's even released. You just never know.

So dont update until the next JB is out (once your JBroken that is)

23. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You keep mentioning XDA. Did you post your question over there? What did they have to say?

"If you have nothing good to say, why even reply period to this thread."

Same goes for posting threads asking questions that no one could possibly know the answer to. Anyone got a crystal ball? If you are going to ask a question like this, be prepared for smart aleck answers from the peanut gallery.

24. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Or check the devteam site for updates.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Welcome bro, dont mind any rude folks above;)