How long until new iSight?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
How long do you reckon it'll be before they replace the current iSight?

I know its still really nice but what with the iMacs in built iSights being 'better' than the normal iSights like Steve Jobs said maybe they'll finally replace the old one. It is getting rather long in the tooth now, after all.

Or do you reckon they'll leave it as it is and add in-built iSights to future Cinema displays?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Spanky Deluxe said:
How long do you reckon it'll be before they replace the current iSight?

I know its still really nice but what with the iMacs in built iSights being 'better' than the normal iSights like Steve Jobs said maybe they'll finally replace the old one. It is getting rather long in the tooth now, after all.

Or do you reckon they'll leave it as it is and add in-built iSights to future Cinema displays?

Well I think its more likely to be USB than Firewire. I would hope for a built in IR receiver as well. Also hope for a much higher resolutions.

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Ever since I saw the latest iMac form-factor with built in iSight, I've been expecting a new model. Like aswitcher said above, I'd bet on USB2 instead of firewire. I'd also imagine a much smaller size, like the ones built into the latest machines. I recently sold my iSight in expectation of a new one at MWSF. Oh well, I can wait a while.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Maybe they will scrap the standalone and just have integrated across the board? Just an idea.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
trainguy77 said:
Maybe they will scrap the standalone and just have integrated across the board? Just an idea.
So the rest of us who have a perfectly fine, new computer, but lack an iSight, are supposed to do what?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Verto said:
So the rest of us who have a perfectly fine, new computer, but lack an iSight, are supposed to do what?
Just an idea that popped into my head!:D Or they may make an integrated camera into all computers and monitors and upgrade the external.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Verto said:
What to do? Purchase the one currently available. If all new Macs come with an iSight, I see no reason for them to update the current one. It works perfectly fine and will be close to obsolete in the future.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
wasimyaqoob said:
You said that it will have a built in IR function, will that be able to use with the Apple Remote?

Thats a wish list thing for me. I figure that they need to provide Front Row support to users of older Macs which includes those using PowerMacs.

I guess we may also see new LCDs from Apple with iSights but I figure that would be a bit overkill for the pro users so a new isight wwith IrDA would be better.

Daz777777

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2006
I'm in the same boat in that I'm holding out for an updated version of isight especially in light of the fact that it's improved in the imac and macbook pro.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
grapes911 said:
What to do? Purchase the one currently available. If all new Macs come with an iSight, I see no reason for them to update the current one. It works perfectly fine and will be close to obsolete in the future.
I'd guess that the displays and iBooks will be receiving iSights built in, but they should still cater to PowerMac and Mac mini users who can buy other displays than Apple's.
-Chasen

clcnyc

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Spanky Deluxe said:
I know its still really nice but what with the iMacs in built iSights being 'better' than the normal iSights like Steve Jobs said
Sadly, IMO, I don't think the built in iSight is any better. In fact, I think the quality is slightly worse. I have the 20" iMac G5 iSight built in, with 1.5 G RAM, high speed cable internet...

clcnyc

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
swindmill said:
can the built in iSight be adjusted/aimed? Or do you have to sit right in front of it?
No, you have to sit in front of it, or move the computer:p

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
grapes911 said:
Exactly my thinking. If their plan is to integrate the isight, why would they also improve the existing one. Not saying they couldn't improve it, and not saying there aren't benefits to a stand-alone isight. Just that Apple seems to be going in a different direction.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I would hate it if my iSight was USB2. If they did that, they would have to update iLife to include support for USB 2.0 cameras. I would rather take up a firewire port than a USB port anyway.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
I don't have an iSight, but if my predictions come true, I might buy one.

For $99:
1.3MP Image Sensor
Smaller Design
Tilt-and-Swivel while in stand
USB 2.0
IR Sensor for taking pictures with the remote
Software to record video.

That would be awesome.:D

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
zflauaus said:
I don't have an iSight, but if my predictions come true, I might buy one.

For $99:
1.3MP Image Sensor
Smaller Design
Tilt-and-Swivel while in stand
USB 2.0
IR Sensor for taking pictures with the remote
Software to record video.

That would be awesome.:D
I like the specs, but the video record option would necessitate a great increase in frame rate.

I'd also like to be able to trim the resolution for the video chats on the fly, to cut bandwidth when I need it. If I really want to show off I could crank up the resolution, but I shouldn't have to sacrifice the resources all the time.

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
Spanky Deluxe said:
what with the iMacs in built iSights being 'better' than the normal iSights
Uh, I'm pretty sure the integrated ones use a CMOS sensor and a fixed-focus lens.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Front Row support

This is the first place I've seen the idea to add IR reception to the iSight, and I think it makes sense...at least as much as a dongle adaptor would for my Powerbook. Though, I'm not sure I want to watch a movie across the room on my 15" screen, with a camera mounted above it.....hmmm.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Lazyhound said:
Uh, I'm pretty sure the integrated ones use a CMOS sensor and a fixed-focus lens.
Go and have a watch of the keynote where Steve released the Rev C iMacs. He says the camera is 'better' than the normal iSights. I don't know how or why but that's what he says.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
dsharits said:
That's already available, it's called iMovie and Quicktime Pro. ;)
Sorry. Shows you how much I pay attention iSight and movie making.:p

Epicurus said:
I like the specs, but the video record option would necessitate a great increase in frame rate.

I'd also like to be able to trim the resolution for the video chats on the fly, to cut bandwidth when I need it. If I really want to show off I could crank up the resolution, but I shouldn't have to sacrifice the resources all the time.
Yes, you would be able to change the resolution for those with limited bandwidth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.