How long will apple keep the SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeforeTheMeds, Jul 28, 2016.

1. BeforeTheMeds, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

BeforeTheMeds macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

Serious question, not trying to irritate the little phone lovers. Looking at this makes me wonder though. I do believe it's good to have choices, just wondering about these numbers. Just trying to create a serious discussion without anyone getting butthurt.

http://fortune.com/2016/07/20/apples-cheap-iphone-se/

It seems logical to me that the se is cutting to other apple phone sales. Why? For example here the SE goes for 622.00 (64gig, most do not have cell data so storage is needed) us so it is NOT a cheap phone. It's a small expensive phone and they are actually competing with themselves. Yes, I know some like a smaller phone (16% obviously) but that appears to be apple users just wanting a different size.

Look, the se has 16% of sales and the 6s and plus are down 17% from the 6 and plus the year before (still have 65%). I think it's more than obvious that apple has not gained with the model and it only cuts some into their profit. Yes, they can afford it and choice is good but it's pretty obvious a lot of their choices are for the bottom line and I am wondering how long they will continue to put out a phone that actually competes with itself.

Nobody is saying apple is hurting, so don't go there.

2. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502a

magicschoolbus

Once the spare parts bin from the 5S and 6 run dry they will stop producing it.

3. BeforeTheMeds thread starter macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

Not sure about that but if apple figures out that most se owners (by the numbers) would have bought a more expensive model I'm not sure what their motivation would be for keeping it.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well, I'll speak to US prices. The SE is $250 less than a 6s at the same capacity. $400 or $500 is still a lot, but it's really a different price category - we're talking midrange device rather than flagship or premium.

Now obviously, they'd rather sell a $650 phone than a $400 phone. But were they going to sell that $650 phone? As an SE owner, I can tell you they were not going to sell one to me. It was the SE or nothing.

There's always been a low end iPhone. It's just that it's typically been an older model the price of which has come down over time.

The SE is remarkable right now because it's pretty clearly better than the midrange model (iPhone 6), screen size aside. So right now, the low end is nearly the same as the high end and is probably cutting into 6s sales. But in two months, the SE will still be around at exactly the same price, the 6 will be gone, and the 6s will be the midrange, closer in price to the SE, while the 7 will be demonstrably better than the SE in a lot more ways than the 6s is.

Tldr: the lineup will make more sense in September.

5. BeforeTheMeds, Jul 28, 2016

BeforeTheMeds thread starter macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

As I pointed out from the link the 6s and plus went down 17% and the se got 16% so I would say again it looks like a lot were already apple owners. The point is that it's competing with other apple phones.

Even 400 or 500 is a hell of a lot for a 4" phone. Competing with themselves.

So you would not have bought an iphone if not for the se, fine. Since the 6s series lost almost the same amount of "internal apple" ground I would guess you are the exception rather than the rule. Those figures do not reflect the 20 something percent market share it lost, it only reflects what apple lost to itself and the se took a percentage the 6 series previously had.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The fact that those two numbers are close to each other is really not a sufficient analysis to draw that conclusion.

Not only do I not think it proves your point, I think it isn't even the most logical conclusion. The 6s has been out a while; sales were going to fall no matter what. The SE is new and there hasn't been a 4" phone in a while. Of course it was going to sell.

7. BeforeTheMeds, Jul 28, 2016

BeforeTheMeds thread starter macrumors 6502

BeforeTheMeds

Try actually reading. The figures of the 6s and plus of 65% are compared to the 82% of the 6 and plus after both were released the same amount of time. Its a legit comparison. The iphone share also dropped over 20% overerall.

So you think the whole drop for the year (over 20%) and the 17% apple share are just on the 6s and plus and the se is just gain?

Bwahahaha. You are not getting it. Apple lost over 20% overall. 16% for an iphone iS NOT selling well. Its 20% less than it would have been last year. Its only logical the se is taking shares fron the 6s and plus, otherwise why did they lose 20% market share?

Your FEELINGS do not prove your point at all, how about some figures to back it up? Just being butthurt proves nothing.

At 16% it does prove these are not selling like hotcakes as some like to claim.

Your personal anectdotal evidence means nothing, figures do. Sorry to upset your world.

No point in discussing anything with butthurt people basing everything on feelings.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's hard to say this early in the game that the SE is cutting into any other sales. You have to keep in mind that people were waiting for years for a current gen revision of a 4 inch iPhone. We mostly got that with this device (I say mostly because screen is lacking, 3d tough, barometer, and perhaps a few other minor points I missed here).

There is also the point of price; it's entirely possible that for many of these users $400 is the sweet spot, otherwise they buy used.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wow. Just... Wow. Relax, calm down, get a little perspective. We're talking iPhone sales numbers here.

That was the most hostile and unnecessary response I've seen on this forum in a very long time, and that's really saying something. We're discussing sales figures and you launch into personal attacks. Okay.

You're drawing invalid conclusions about the numbers, which I could explain to you if you'd act like a rational person, but at this point it's not worth it to try to have a conversation with someone who's going to go nuclear for absolutely no reason. I've probably only ignored 2 or 3 people in my 13 years on this forum, but you've made the list. Feel free to rant on (I'm sure you will), but I won't have to see it.

10. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I suspect that the SE will become the next iPad 2, and will be sold for a long long time.

The A9 chip should ensure longevity.

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

An iPhone 6? What does the se have from an iPhone 6? The FFC???

Everything else is from
    An iPhone 5s or 6s???

12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

They could interpret this as a high demand for 4" screen iPhones, which will make them release the iPhone 8 next year in three sizes to accommodate all options. The big caveat will be a higher price than $399 for the 4" iPhone 8.

13. GrandeLatte macrumors member

GrandeLatte

I agree. People want different sized phones. The new SE equivalent, whenever it comes out, will not be $399 anymore. I'm glad I got mine.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Until they:
    A. Have proper 4" iPhone of the main line to replace it.
    B. Don't need a stop gap phone to help their sales numbers, ie. sell *the* top-of-the-line phone again.

15. geta macrumors 6502a

They will keep it for another 2-3 years till they release the SE-2 (like they kept 5s around), because the A9 chip gonna be like the A7 used to be.

16. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I wish they never kill the 4 inch iPhone, this is the best screen size for one hand usage.the se has a iconic design and i very much like it than my other iPhones

17. Channan, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I find it funny that people actually believe this. What spare parts are they using from the iPhone 5s, the front facing camera and Touch ID sensor that are also being used on all current iPads (with the exception of the 9.7" iPad Pro's camera)? I'd say it's unlikely that Apple will run out of these parts anytime soon.

If Apple didn't use the same design as the iPhone 5s, nobody would be stating this ignorant information.

The iPhone SE definitely didn't keep me from buying an iPhone 6s. I wasn't interested in the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s and was never going to buy one anyway.

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I can only hope they will keep the 4" form factor alive and keep it as premium in terms of features as the smaller chassis will possibly allow. Even on the Android side of things, I was shocked to see there are comments on their forums from people tired of lugging Android phablets around and some are starting to consider the SE or wishing for premium Android phones of the same size.

19. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I would also love for them to continue excluding a few non-essential features to keep the price low, but I would still buy a 4" iPhone that matches the regular iPhone line in specs for the same price as those phones.

20. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

Apple loves to sell the 4" SE and use the much cheaper older components inside it and bring down the price a whole $100-$150 less the the current model 4.7" size! Apple laughing all the way to the bank! iPhone 5 is 2012/1013? chassis, cameras from 5S and NFC chip, Touch ID, memory from the iPhone 6!

21. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

No.

16GB iPhone SE is $399

16GB iPhone 6s is $649

That's a $250 difference in favor of the SE.

Rear camera is 12MP from the 6s, FaceTime camera is from the 5s.

The SE is excellent value for the money, especially for people who don't need all the features of the 6s & Plus.

The 2012/2013 chassis is very solid.

22. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

This is my favourite design. It's the reason I got it.

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It is anyone's guess how long Apple will continue to make this phone.

And don't assume that they will release a SE2 in 2017, 2018 or later.

24. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I don't remember....how long did they keep the 5c line? And is the comparison between the two valid? I'd say no, but I wonder what others feel.

25. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Really no comparision between the 5c and the SE...the latter has the top of the line CPU (until the ip7 comes out), 2gb ram, camera.