How long will the line be?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHuntr, Jun 10, 2010.

1. iHuntr macrumors newbie

I am wondering how long the iPhone 4 line will be. I live in Fresno and the iPhone is sold by Walmart, Best Buy, apple, and obviously AT&T. I am new to the iPhone and I'm wondering how long the line will be? Do the other stores sell it on it's opening date? Would it be better to wait untill the following day to buy it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    iHuntr

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Exactly 565 people long at Apple, 223 at AT&T, 221 at Wal-Mart, 174 at Best Buy, and 1 at Radio Shack.

3. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Too long that's why its advisable to order online if that's an option for you.

5. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Who comes up with these questions? :confused:

How would we possibly know how many people are going to purchase the phone, and from that number, how many people are going to wait in line as opposed to having it delivered somewhere. Then for those that do wait in line (or reserve), whether they are going to go to Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, or Radioshack and which location they are going to go to?

6. iHuntr thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is you can only pre-order one device per household and I need to order 2. Where did you get those numbers? 1 at radio shack, did you make that up?

7. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it was made up because no one (not even Apple) can answer this question.

8. iHuntr thread starter macrumors newbie

I was curios as to how long the previous years may have been. I am just wondering if It MIGHT be a short enough line to stay in or wait until the following day to purchase it.

9. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

The line at Radio shack and Best buy shouldn't be too long. Because unless your activating new service or Eligble for an upgrade you can't get the iPhone from them. They won't sell it a no commit pricing even as a pre-order.

10. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

You are still missing the point. Last year's lines have nothing to do with this year's lines. Some of the people who had the iPhone 3G were not eligible to upgrade and either had to pay the higher price or not buy it. If you did not buy it, then that would mean they are eligible now.

When I purchased the original iPhone, I was able to go to the Apple store the next day. When I purchased the iPhone 3G, I went the same day around 5:00 p.m., and I called an Apple store that could not estimate whether or not their stock would be depleted by the time they got to everyone on the line (their wait was also hours long). However, I called another Apple store within 20 minutes of the other Apple store, and they said that they have plenty of stock. The wait there was about an hour.

11. iHuntr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am new to AT&T so would I be able to go to best buy or radio shack to sign up for new service?

12. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Yes, that was said in the poster's post.

13. fuzion macrumors 6502

(Apple/AT&T Store Door)|1--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That Long. :)

14. Adamb18c5 macrumors member

Just order online or wait about a month if you don't want to wait in line.

15. Built macrumors 68020

+1

You are right on the money, Tara.

Last year has nothing to do with this year...for many reasons.

The leap from 3G to 3GS was arguably not as great as the next leap to 4.
    The economy is on an ever so slight upward progression from this time last year.
    The 3G was SO popular that many of us were not eligible to upgrade to 3GS.

You beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing LOL

16. nlensander macrumors member

Where does it say that you can pre order only 1 per household? I also need two but never read anything about the 1 per household,, if u could provide a link that'd be great,

Thanks!!

17. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I think it is on that AT&T PDF. I am sorry that I do not have the link, but I do know that it is floating around here somewhere.

I have no clue why that is though because what if two people want to open a new account. Why do they have to go in to do it? I just think AT&T wants more people to come in and do it.

18. Stankonia macrumors regular

Somewhere between 0 and 6 billion people long

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Love these forums so much. People get upset over the dumbest things.

The length of the line on launch day is completely unpredictable.

20. nlensander macrumors member

I'm not too sure bout that, i just talked with an apple representative and they heard of no such policy or that there was any kind of limit

So who knows :confused:

Thanks though

21. actorkid macrumors 6502

I waited in line for the 3GS last year. I live on Long Island, NY. At the time the doors opened there were probably around 250 people in line.

I anticipate this launch being much much bigger, so I'm going to expect lines in my area to be around 400 people.

just a guess though. hope this helps a little

22. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I did some research, and found the PDF. Here it is: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/preorder_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

How many devices can I preorder?
    AT&T stores will sell one iPhone 4 per person for new customers, and one device per household for new orders placed online. Existing customers may purchase one per eligible telephone number online or through our stores.

EDIT: I think it is crap as well!!

23. nlensander macrumors member

Oh well, we are existing customers and have two eligible lines, thanks for that! But it still is crap are you a new customer? And what are you planning on getting the white or the black?

Thanks

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I wouldn't be shocked if most people decided to preorder this year and just have them delivered on launch day as oppose to lines, but hey stranger things have happened though.

25. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am not a new customer, but I think it is still unfair. However, there are so many conflicting stories that I am not sure AT&T knows what is going on.

I am most likely going to get the white one. I can say black all I want, but from past experiences, I have think history will be repeated. I actually was set on the black iPhone 3G, but when the guy asked me before I paid which one I wanted, I said white. :eek:

I honestly feel as if AT&T is wanting this option to happen. They are making reserved people wait an extra day for what reason? I know that they have t receive their stock, but I believe if Apple can ship all these phones to be delivered on launch day, they can ship them to AT&T early as well.

AT&T probably just want to make it so people will wait outside their doors.