How long will the lines be for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arcadia310, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

I waited in line for the iPad 2 which was my first iOS device and was really shocked by how many people showed up. I heard iPhone launches are much worse. How long in advance do you people usually get in line? Should I just go to Best Buy since their lines will be much shorter?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

How long is the string? It varies. :D

Seriously though, I'd try to pre-order, but if you can't do that, show up a few hours before the store opens.

6. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

In my city BJ's Wholesale Club sells phones from Verizon so hopefully they will have the iPhone on launch day. I would assume the line there would be much shorter than in a Verizon/Apple store.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont understand why anybody would wait in a big long line. Especially the ones who camp out. Just go the next day or two and there wont be any line.

9. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Knowing that iPhone 5 launch will be Apple's biggest yet, I'd say the lines will be no less than 1000 people long (in metropolises at least).

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I live in the Uk and unfortunately over here our Apple store staff cannot generate the hype and excitement on a new release product, that Ive seen on the news from America's Apple staff !

Its probably a British thing.

I'd love to witness the hype thats drummed up across the pond.

The lines will be massive.

Its not just about buying the ip5, its being there and enjoying the moment.

12. macguy11 macrumors member

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Pre-order online. Receive launch day at your home/office. Laugh at all the people in lines on the news.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I'm guessing u didnt try to get an iPad 2! even after weeks/months it still not available as walk in customers.

15. calvinspif macrumors newbie

I've waited in line for the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 at the fashion valley mall in San diego. The line for iPhone was massive. I got there at around 2am and the line was pretty big. It definitely was an experience. The anticipation and excitement from the people in the crowd was worth it alone. Then they served coffee, donuts, energy drinks, cereal etc... for free while we were waiting. Its worth trying it at least once. As for everyone who said to order it. That's a good idea if Apple still delivers it on the release date. With that sometimes you get it the day before. If they dont do that anymore you will get your phone maybe a month after the release and to me the anticipation of waiting fedex to come deliver it is torturous. And trust me all the stores will be sold out after opening day.

16. iJays macrumors regular

try the London stores

17. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The only waiting will be me at home waiting for the FedEx/UPS/DHL guy to deliver it. Those lines are for nerds that are meeting their nerd buddies out in public to see what an actual girl looks like.

18. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

To cool to stand on line but still enough of a nerd to post on a Mac rumors forum. You're a complicated man.

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont have any tablet but if i did and one was coming, id order it online.

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Long enough. You should go stand in line tonight to get a good spot. ;)

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why? :confused:
    The whooping and cheering and clapping is frankly cringeworthingly embarrasing.
    Leave it in the US where they like that kind of thing.

FFS it is a piece of electronics. Not a university graduation.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

FYI: for those saying to "order it onlnie"

Everyone in the USA remembers last year when both ATT and Apple's websites crashed around 4am Eastern Time when pre-orders were available.

There were orders that went through and got canceled. Massive problems with online ordering last year.

I was one of those who got up at 4am and "pre ordered". Got one order through and couldn't get my other 2 orders in.

Than went to ATT retail store to have them manually pre order for me. Their systems were at a stand still. Took 2 hours to pre order even from the retail ATT store.

Crazy, how many people forget the pre order mess with the iPhone 4 launch in the USA.

23. pintnight macrumors 6502

24. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

There won't be any line because all their iPhones are sold out.

25. cPol macrumors member

cPol

If you're not in line already, they're expecting future shipments in November and December, and they can put you on a 'will call' list when they do come in.