How long will the RAM prices for '08 MP's keep trending down?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rockinrocker, Sep 18, 2009.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I guess the title says it all...

Obviously this is speculation, but I thought maybe some longer term market watchers might have some idea here.

I'm rocking 4X2 right now, and will probably eventually get another 4X2 to fill 'er up, but aren't in a big hurry.

You guys think it'll get much cheaper than it is now?

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Honestly, probably not.

A pair of 2GB sticks for a 2008 MP is $109 at OWC, and I believe that's the same price I paid in April 09. So they're not really dropping.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I, too, would like to get the other 4x2GB before it gets more expensive...I wonder how long the prices will stay stable before climbing again?

4. yomibro macrumors regular

Newegg sells Mushkin 2x2GB for $90 right now.

5. Matthewlee macrumors newbie

According to digglloyd at Mac Performance Guide, he advises getting memory now, and memory prices are supposed to be on the upswing. Memory prices ae highly impacted by supply/demand. When supplies get to high relative to demand, prices are low, and vice versa. Over the past few years, supply has exceeded demand, so prices have been low. Apparently, the supply/demand curve is getting more balanced, and prices will be going up. I just got 4 more gbs through Crucial as a result (taking me from 8 to 12 on a 2008 Mac Pro).

6. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

I called Crucial UK yesterday as I'm going up in multiples of 4gig sticks and opting for 2x4gig kit priced @£188. So still fairly expensive but they told me they were out of stock in US and UK but would be available from the 23 Sept if that is to be believed. 2gig sticks are the way to go to max out slots at 16gig and stay within a reasonable price bracket. Me, I just like to max things out and I've saved a mint on my new 2008 Mac Pro by not plumping for nehalem 09 so why not:D

7. bigbird macrumors 6502

Funny you should ask. I have been contemplating changing out my set of 4X1's in Risers A & B, slots 3 & 4, to match the 4X2's that I have in Risers A & B, slots 1 & 2. CanadaRam had a price increase TODAY, after weeks of stagnant prices. The 4X2 matched set jumped from $284 Cdn to $332 Cdn. Ouch!

8. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Go for it. I may not often need it, but I was doing some work on my system recently where I used up a good chunk of my 14GB.

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Forever till they're like $5 or $10 a DIMM.

10. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

You think so? I was under the impression that once demand starts to wane that the price would start to go back up....

11. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Right now I have 6x1GB and thought about getting a little more... should I just fill it up with 2X1GB or would 2X2GB be better?

I don't really need anymore, but I've read that having all channels filled up is faster?

12. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

I'm gonna buy every stick of 2008 MP ram in the world and you will have to buy it of me muhhahha:D

Seriously though! Like all markets nowadays, things are quite volatile. Who knows! Hope there is a stockpile of FBDIMMS somewhere that is going to saturate the market and people start buying which will drive prices down. However, In my instance Crucial have informed me they have no 4gig sticks in US or UK for at least a week. Crucial are usually quite reliable but I've been waiting to pounce on ram for 6-8 weeks now in anticipation of my new MP but "out of stock" is usual response!:(

13. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Dude...he was taking a piss...
    :)
    You are right.
    The price drops a certain amount until the lessened consumption reaches a point where the pre manufactured stocks dwindle & cost of keeping a factory lineup profitable is getting harder =Price hike.

14. xiovoix macrumors regular

xiovoix

Bad news! Just checked Crucial again. Without even having the ram in stock for 4gig sticks. The 8gig kit has risen by £8 to £195. Last week when I called them it was £187. This leads me to the conclusion that their supply of this module will arrive on the 23 Sept as quote by my email!

8GB Kit (4GBx2), Apple 240-pin FBDIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
    Further to our conversation I can advise that Crucial part CT774462 (8GB kit) for your Mac Pro (8-core Xeon 5400 Series) 2nd Gen. Early 2008

is due back in stock on the 23rd of September 2009. To avoid further disappointment I would strongly advise to place a back order with our Sales Team. This will allow us to allocate the part to your order has soon as it comes back in stock.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Carine Arvoir
    eCommerce Sales and Support Agent
    Tel: (800) 013-0330
    Fax: (800) 013-0336
    mailto:crucialeusupport@micron.com

15. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It oscillates - but it's an ever downward oscillation.

etc.

But 2GB FBDIMM-800 RAM sticks for the 2008 Mac Pro and Xserve right now are about $50 each. Not the $100+ people are saying. They're shopping at crazy shops.
    etc.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

Buy the XServe/PC versions, and just swap the sinks. I've seen them available, and IIRC, weren't expensive (it's a common extrusion, not just used for the Apple bound memory).

It might add difficulty & time, but the costs, and even current supply may make it worth while.

Just a thought. :)

17. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

So what exactly creates the need for the FB-DIMMs to need a heatsink in the first place, if they work just fine without them? Obviously they must get spankin' hot, but beside the point, how do they operate differently?

Just a question.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

They definitely get hot. In servers (PC), noise is an after thought, compared to the MP's that use them. They also reside in racks that have HVAC systems pushing cold air through.

They're still used in the PC workstation systems (mid towers), and are arranged a little differently than the MP's. That arrangement (doable on larger boards; E-ATX/EEB formats), makes a difference. But even there, sometimes the larger heatsinks were used, though rare. Think SkullTrail & Z7S WS boards (Intel & ASUS respectively), as there was OC capabilities in the firmware.

MP's just use fans, and they operate at lower RPM. The memory is stuffed in a tight spot as well. So the larger sinks were needed to allow for lower airflow, and still cool them adequately.

19. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Ah. I was thinking it was something along those lines. Thanks Nano. Well, Serial is Hot, what can I say :p

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

I think you could use a 1U rackmount Harpertown with FB-DIMM as a single burner hot plate. Compute and cook something tasty at the same time. :eek: Now that's multi-tasking. :p

21. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Shiite!
    I would need some sticks for my commodore 64.
    Trying to upgrade it to the 128.
    I am desperate.

22. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Shiite!
    I would need some sticks for my commodore 64.
    Trying to upgrade it to the 128.
    I am desperate.

The first sticks that came to the market after MP1.1 (kingston?) were the flat ones and they were borked. People had to return them and quickly their flat heatsinks were replaced with the ones we presently know.

23. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Voltage, power, area. But I guess we could run them with the flat sinks or no sinks at all just by using smcFanControl. Probably the flat sinks would require a minimum 2300 RPM on the RAM Fans. You might need it up around max (3000+ RPM) to operate safely with no sinks. We also have the option of buying the sinks separately. I think they're like $4 per stick for the 5-fin ones.

24. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

FYI, a pair of 2GB sticks (4GB total) has gone up to $119 from $109 at OWC since they thread started.

So there you go. :)

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

RAM prices are going up. Demand is up, supply had been constrained due to the recession, prices go up.

For example the 24GB kick was around $900 a few weeks ago and now it's $950.