Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
I would like to keep my laptop for about 4 years. My last laptop lasted me 3 years and 9 months. So i hope to keep my current powerbook for a similar amount of time.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Until I'm out of school/finished grad school and pulling in >$100,000 a year.

At the rate I'm going.....7 years.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Had mine for coming up for two years (in June) so Applecare lasts till June 2009, if the computer doesn't die on my I would love to say I will get a new MBP in June 2010 or 2011.

For me 4 years would be fantastic, but it is less about the speed of the new machine and more about how much money I am earning at the time to justify the new purchase.

I would estimate that within 6 months of the next version of OS X (10.6) I would need to upgrade to keep my productivity up. When the next version of the OS comes out is a mystery, seems like a long way off after such a great version of Leopard came out just 6 months ago.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
Do you guys think a 17" mbp is really a hassle to carry around all the time?

I don't like the idea of carrying around a 17" laptop. I think 15" is about as ig as I would ever want to have on me and I walk on campus pretty much all day. Unless I REALLY need the 17", I'm never going to get one. I'll just use the iMac for that.

Had mine for coming up for two years (in June) so Applecare lasts till June 2009, if the computer doesn't die on my I would love to say I will get a new MBP in June 2010 or 2011.

For me 4 years would be fantastic, but it is less about the speed of the new machine and more about how much money I am earning at the time to justify the new purchase.

I would estimate that within 6 months of the next version of OS X (10.6) I would need to upgrade to keep my productivity up. When the next version of the OS comes out is a mystery, seems like a long way off after such a great version of Leopard came out just 6 months ago.

I'm in the same boat as you. I need mine to last for 4-5 years just because I can't afford to upgrade every 2 years. I think in 4 years or so, enough progress will have been made over my current 2.5GHz to justify (and talk the wife into) me buying a new model.

Hopefully, by then, I'll have a full-time job running sound at a company here in Memphis, TN. If that's the case, maybe we can live and little cheaper and afford one every 3 years. :)

Dan 7.1

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Not sure, i previously had a 2.33GHz C2D model which i bought in december '06 which i had planned on keeping forever, but when the right bargain came up for a santa-rosa based 2.4GHz 15", i jumped and went for that.

i'll keep this until i feel the urge to get something better.

dingster1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
MD
As long as it has life in it. THis was my most expensive computer purchase to date, loving the journey.I' guessing 5 years as Im a light user, dont take it out much

VincentPun

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
3-4 years minimum and 6 years (if possible) maximum.

Also, I keep things that I love even if they are broken.

KhaKha

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
for 2 years,
3 years top since I will sell my macbook pro as soon as the warranty expired
because I don't want to spend extra bucks to repair an old computer

ZolakJHS

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
3 for me, 3 for the wife

I am hoping to get 3 years of good use out of my penryn macbook pro 2.5 for myself, and then give it to my wife (and selling her santa rosa macbook) and getting another 3 years out of it as an email/office/safari machine.

brettjohn

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
Australia
i'll be keeping mine forever just like my iBook...but in actual use i'd say till the next iteration of laptop come out and i'll get a rev 2 or later. so how ever long that may be :D

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Apple's policy for support is 5 years. After 5 years, they won't touch it. I brought my G4 Quicksilver into the store 6 months ago, and a technician wouldn't "officially" do anything to it.

I've still got a G3 powerbook, and for OS9 it still runs very quickly. 8+ years and counting!

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Do you guys think a 17" mbp is really a hassle to carry around all the time?

There isn't a universal answer. for my GF, even a 15" is too large for her. For me I felt the 17" was to large so I went for the upgraded 15". My brother has a 17" and regretted it for the first week, but now, he loves it.

In a couple of years, I'll probably get a 17" for around the house and occasional travel, but will keep the 15" for a daily traveler.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
does looks bother anyone? i mean if the computer is going to be my primary machine, i sorta want it to look like its still somewhat new. Yeah yeah its whats on the inside that counts. but if its loaded with scratches and dents...im gonna prob get a new one. So i guess 3 years or 'scratched to hell'...which ever comes first.

and ill keep the scratched one for travel and chillin in the bed surfin the web.:D

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
does looks bother anyone? i mean if the computer is going to be my primary machine, i sorta want it to look like its still somewhat new. Yeah yeah its whats on the inside that counts. but if its loaded with scratches and dents...im gonna prob get a new one. So i guess 3 years or 'scratched to hell'...which ever comes first.

and ill keep the scratched one for travel and chillin in the bed surfin the web.:D

I use my home MBP every night, and it's essentially in perfect shape (got it 10 months ago).

I use my work MBP every work day, and I pack it up and take it home every night. The only scratch on that one is the one that was there when I inherited it from the web designer who quit on us.

My daughter has been carrying her Macbook around and using it HARD daily for nearly 2 years, and it's just got minor scratches in it (although the keyboard HAS been replaced and that did help with the cosmetics).

I'm trying to figure out how so many people thrash theirs! Yes, some people use theirs in hazardous environments, and some people will just replace theirs ($2000 isn't a lot of money for them), but how about the rest of them that are getting beat up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.