How many apps are "open" for you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rye9, Jun 26, 2010.

?

How many apps?

1. 0-5

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. 6-10

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 10+

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

If you were to check your multitasking bar, how many apps are in there "running"?

How often do you close and which apps do you close?

2. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

I hate multitasking. I always forget to close the apps. It's not even TRUE multitasking either.

3. irich25 macrumors regular

not all of those apps are "open", most are just recent apps

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Oh... which ones are open then?

5. celticpride678

Not necessarily. It shows the most recent apps if a specific app has not been updated to support multitasking features. If an app has been updated to support multitasking, it is sitting there in a "frozen" mode, waiting to be activated by the user.

I usually have Safari, Mail and Music open. Other than that, I close it (unless I know I'll be going back to it).

6. irich25 macrumors regular

most likely the few ones in front?

7. celticpride678

I can't tell if this was a joke or not...

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

None of them are open.

You only run one app at a time.

That is the fast-task switching manager. All those programs have their last open state saved so you can toggle between programs quickly. They are not running in the background.

Some programs do access background APIs, but no programs ever run in the background fully. Again that is the fast-task switching manager. When you leave a program it saves it to memory. If you want to go check your spreadsheet and then go back a pdf you leave the spreadsheet, it saves it open exactly as you left it, and closes it out, and loads the pdf reader. When you bring up the fast task switcher, and select the spreadsheet program, it will save the pdf reader in its current state, close it out, and then reload the spreadsheet program so you are right back where you left off.

The spreadsheet and PDF were never running at the same time.

However this accomplishes a significant chunk of what people want when they say they want multitasking, and that is being able to toggle back and forth between programs without losing their place or having to reload them from scratch.

I believe programs have to be updated to function correctly with fast task switching.

9. BLee17 macrumors member

Is there anyway to close open apps, such as Maps that are RAM hogs?

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

All 46 of the apps on my phone are in my multitasking tray. :eek:

I never fully quit any apps, because I don't see a need for it.

11. celticpride678

Hold down the app icon in the fast-app switcher and click the minus when it shows up

12. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

If the apps are frozen, do they consume much RAM? I'm slightly worried about this multitasking feature, as when I bought my iPhone the Apple Store employee had told me to be wary as it drains battery fast... so I've been closing almost all of my apps obsessively, however now I've got 12 in the background since I decided I was being a little too crazy before. 2 games, facebook, and 9 of the stock apple apps (messaging, phone, mail, safari, camera, photos, settings, iPod, maps). And I've been keeping these open down there as they are used most... should I close some?

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Having apps in the fast task switcher does not drain your battery. They are not using up resources.

The only thing to be weary of are apps using background APIs like using music, navigation etc etc that can be running while you are using a different app.

14. celticpride678

I would recommend closing at least some of them. However, most apps will not take RAM and CPU resources while they are in "frozen" mode, but some may still.

15. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

So then are these what the Apple employee was warning me about? Idk, I'd like to not assume he was telling me to worry for no reason... even though many people are not closing apps it seems.

So then which do I need to worry about? Turn by turn direction apps and Pandora?

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

... and as there are only (three?) APIs that can be used in that way (background music, VOIP and GPS - with the former two not being able to run at the same time for obvious reasons) the number of Apps that can actually PROPERLY run in the background at any one time is very limited.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

People are still confused on how multitasking works??? You don't need to worry about frozen applications using up CPU cycles as they are FROZEN. You don't need to worry about the amount of RAM they use as the RAM frozen applications use will be purged as necessary.

18. irich25 macrumors regular

Steve Jobs, "If you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager, they blew it"
    In other word, you don't need to worry about it

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you see Pandora or a turn by turn application in the fast application switching tray there's no need to worry about battery life unless Pandora is currently playing music or your turn by turn application is giving directions, and so in that case obviously they would be using resources. In my opinion Apple didn't need to include a way to kill applications from the task bar, it's just a way to completely clear an application as it will have to relaunch the next time you start it instead of immediately being where it was when you left it.

Seven. There are seven background APIs
    http://snowball4u.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/ios4-multitasking/

Background audio – Allows your app to play audio continuously. (i.e. Pandora)

Voice over IP – Users can now receive VoIP calls and have conversations while using another app. (i.e. Skype)

Background location – Navigation apps can now continue to guide users who are using other apps. (i.e. Foursquare)

Push notifications – Receive alerts from your remote servers even when your app isn’t running. (i.e. Yahoo! Messenger)

Local notifications – Your app can now alert users of scheduled events and alarms in the background, no servers required. (i.e. FarmVille)

Task finishing – If your app is in mid-task when your customer leaves it, the app can now keep running to finish the task. (i.e. Flickr)

Fast app switching – This will allow users to leave your app and come right back to where they were when they left – no more having to reload the app. (i.e. Tap Tap Revenge)

20. jp70 macrumors member

Trapster...

...or any app that leaves the location icon up next to the battery will drain it...fast. I used Trapster, then went into work...2-3 hours later the phone was a little warm and the battery was 35% and falling fast.

21. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There are seven, but only three provide true "multitasking".

VOIP

Another of them allows some apps to perform some tasks for a maximum of 10 minutes after you close them (e.g. finishing uploading a photo)

The remaining APIs do not involve processes running on the phone when the app is closed.

23. BiomaxDDS macrumors regular

ya this multitasking is not very good

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why not? What more would you want an application to be able to do?

25. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Ugh. I hate the "multi-tasking" The quicklaunch bar is completely pointless. Its supposed to make it easy to switch between apps. If I have every app I have used on the bar, why is that any different than just going to the homescreen? How is that easier? :confused: