How many are simply buying the phone outright?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bsmith4832, Sep 8, 2016.

1. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

I see a ton of chatter about Upgrade Programs - and I get that it makes it easier for most people and can make a lot of sense for some. However, is there really any benefit of me doing the upgrade program if I can simply buy the phone outright?

I currently have the 6 Plus and would imagine that I'll keep the 7 Plus for two years as well. I always sell my used phones locally (Craigslist) and plan on continuing to do so. Therefore, a 128GB 7 Plus with AppleCare would run me $1000. Are there legitimately any reasons why I shouldn't do this? Maybe something I don't know about?

I guess my only other concern is with AppleCare. Broken screens and whatnot is nice - nor do I mind paying an additional fee when I use it ($99 or $29 for screen replacement, I believe it is). But what about AT&T insurance vs. AppleCare? Do either cover lost/stolen? I'm generally always very mindful and careful with my devices - but I'm trying to be extra cautious.

Thanks for the discussion everyone, seriously looking forward to this new phone!

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I buy them outright every year. If you can afford it, it's much less of a headache imo.

3. bsmith4832 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking too. I have no issue spending $1000 in order to not have another monthly bill (or a higher one for that matter).

4. Jodie1987 macrumors regular

Im buying it outright in the uk where they charge us a extra £200 than it should be

5. bsmith4832 thread starter macrumors regular

This made me initially laugh... but then feel bad for you. :-( I'm sorry.. it shouldn't be that way.

6. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

It's your healthcare tax. :p

7. LasersGoPewPew macrumors regular

LasersGoPewPew

Same here. It's just easier for me.

8. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Buying outright. Yes, less of a headache. No added payment added to the monthly bill. And there's just something unnerving about financing a phone.

9. mtcowdog macrumors regular

I am sorting that out. Looking at the monthly upgrade program, the iPhone 7 128 is $35.68/mo. That's $856.32 over 24 months. Subtract $129 for AppleCare+ and that leaves a cost of 727.32. The outright purchase price is $749. It appears to be cheaper to do the installments on the upgrade program, if AppleCare+ is desirable. I suppose the catch is that it will be hard to NOT upgrade next year and return the phone and reset the payments for 24 months.

The base monthly plan without AppleCare+ and not part of the upgrade program comes out to $748.80 over 24 months for the same phone. Apparently the program is zero interest rate.

10. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I did this last year and really like just owning an unlocked phone with no payment plan or upgrade date. I even switched from AT&T to T-Mobile without any phone drama.

Has anyone traded in their old iPhone at the Apple Store while buying the new one outright? How does that work? I'm hoping I can reserve one like the people in the upgrade program do and then just pay the difference at the Apple Store on launch day.

11. menist macrumors regular

menist

I sold my 6 and 6s+ already. Going to buy it outright, unlocked 7 128GB.

12. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

So to clarify, I believe the OP intended "buying outright" to mean with cash or cash equivalent... not using a credit card. Using a credit card and paying the full balance in 30 days is cash equivalent, just intending to pay the credit card balance withing 30 days and not doing it is not cash equivalent.

I know of many people who say "I bought it outright" then let the balance sit for months and pay interest.

The installments are interest free so unless you are REALLY buying outright as described above, you are not saving money or making the best honest choice.

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Buying outright but I wait until I can get an unlocked one.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Not with the Barclay Card, zero interest.

14. GrandeLatte macrumors member

GrandeLatte

I have just traded in my 4s and bought the SE unlocked outright. It's incredibly easy. Apple site gives you a quote on the Apple website so you can go into the store kind of knowing what you should be getting for your old phone.

Apparently you can do this for your computers too.

15. radioking macrumors regular

It's $36.58 not $35.68.

Any way you cut it you are paying the full price with any of the plans. If you have the cash on hand there is no reason not to buy it outright and be done with it.

16. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I'm buying mine outright. 0% interest credit card...sell my 6 plus and pay a decent chunk of it then pay the rest off in 3-4 months.

17. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I've been doing this for a few years now. So much easier, and then I can just sell my old one at my leisure.

18. bsmith4832 thread starter macrumors regular

That's how I feel as well. Like @Sketchr stated above, there's something unnerving about financing a phone. I feel this way about a lot of things on the "cheaper" scale. A $60k car or a $300k house is something different though lol.

I meant it more broad-spectrum regarding the "Pay Once" option - not necessarily how people handle their debt after putting it on a CC. Though, you're correct, a lot of people don't want to choose an Upgrade Program, but they'll pay that $1000 CC bill at minimum payment for a year or two. :eek:

19. noobinator macrumors 601

It's the only way I buy any phone now. It's liberating to not owe anyone or have any obligations to your carrier. I want it to be my device and mine only. With me owing nothing to anyone.

20. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I plan to. Is buying it outright the cheapest way to get the iPhone 7. I don't want a contract.

21. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 68000

Cutiekitty92

That has exactly made my mind up for me.

22. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I've been buying outright since the 4s. Either on a 0% credit card or I just save up for a bit (as I have this time.) Where I live has poor mobile/cell phone coverage, so I've been through a number of different providers and have thus always preferred an unlocked phone.

I'm getting £400 towards it on my 6s Plus from Mazuma, allegedly.

I'll attempt a pre-order tomorrow and I've got 14 days to change my mind with Mazuma, anyway.

23. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I buy it outright every year and sell the old model for a decent chunk. This year for example it is only costing me £400 to get the 256GB plus.

Resale value is so good on the iPhone and i get a rolling sim only contract with unlimited data so its a great deal if you have the cash.

24. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

I always buy them outright since I don't want additional monthly costs. And you don't really get anything from storing your money on bank accounts anymore, anyway.

25. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

I think I just may buy it outright because I'm largely confused if CC companies (e.g., AMEX) still offer the free extended warranty if you decide to do a payment plan.

Anyone have experience with this?