How many buying a MBP for the first time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ianblackburn, Mar 2, 2011.

?

Is this your first MBP purchase

1. No - I have had one before

20 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Yes - I have had a pc previously

68 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. Yes - It's my first laptop of any kind

19 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. Ianblackburn macrumors member

Just interested how many people (like me) are buying a new MBP for the first time?

2. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Add the option, "I have owned various Macs, but my first MBP". And that would be me. :cool::cool:

3. Ianblackburn thread starter macrumors member

Good point but I don't seem to be able to edit the poll - so go for option 1 and we can group those together.

4. ozred macrumors 6502

After Lion comes preloaded MBP sales will increase. It makes the experience more iPad like. Easier and less threatening.

The benefit to Apple is keeping the computer division going with less skilled people as they dumb it down with iOS. This will reduce Apples costs, bring in customers that are older seniors, sitting around with time to play with a new toy.

The direction is to get Macs into Walmart where the numbers will really go up.

You've got to give Jobs credit for his personal growth from geek to the guy who's developed into a cash cow for Apple.

5. Bladerunner99 macrumors member

This will be my first Mac of any kind, I'm still on the fence on whether I should get the 15'' or 27" Imac. I'll be using it for Photo editing, I already have a 27" IPS dell monitor, so logic would dictate that I get the 15"MBP and just hook it up to the external when i need to.

Oh BTW this is my first post on this site!

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

I am just waiting for the high end 15" MacBook Pro with anti-glare screen to arrive in the mail. My first MacBook Pro and my first Mac.

7. cvs macrumors member

cvs

Ordering an MBP 15" antiglare, 8GB, 128GB SSD.
    And a time capsule to go with it.

Then, MCE optibay and a 750GB for those files of mine. I do speech processing so I have many wav files all over the place.

Have to wait for at least 20 days to become available though...
    I have a huge 18" C2D Vaio, 1h battery life that will keep using until I get the mac.

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Well, this is my first Mac that is actually branded as a "MacBook Pro." But if we're including higher-end Apple laptops, maybe not.

Does my 500 MHz TiBook count? ;)

How about my PowerBook 180c? :eek:

9. Ianblackburn thread starter macrumors member

To be honest I was mainly interested in how many are moving to Mac from PC (perhaps should have just worded it like that). So let's say for any type of Apple before answer 1 :)

10. pctomac2011 macrumors member

Me!! :)

This is my first Mac. I've been a PC user for decades, and have actually built and worked in Technical Support for years (Dell being the most recent company). The sleek design, and stability of OS X always attracted me, however the prices were never in the range where I felt like spending the extra $1000 or so was justified.

Recently I've decided to go back to university for a non-IT degree (economics), and have pretty much stopped gaming, and most other reasons I used to build a gaming desktop for.

I'm now the proud owner of a new 15" MacBook Pro, 2.0ghz i7, and LOVE it :)

Interesting enough because I follow the market, and study economics on a part-time basis, I seen a chart several days ago for last FY, and Apple gained another 10% on the PC market. Tsk tsk Dell :p whom lost another few percent of the market, along with a "slight" gain by HP.

Apple has hit the "sweet spot" IMO, and if I had the cash available, the stock even at its current high is a discount buy. The iPhone is ruling the market and I do believe customers such as myself being introduced to the iPhone has in part played a decision to buy a mac laptop as their next purchase.

The design is just so elegant and strong. Working for Dell hardware support for years I do appreciate a good notebook design. You can FEEL how well designed this notebook is, not plasticy and "cheap" as many Dell Inspirons are/were.

With the price being reasonable at about $1700 CDN (with education discount), and even more reasonable if you went for the 13" model (which I almost did), and with the ability to run Windows 7 natively or virtualization "just" in case ;) the decision just felt logical.

Those who are sitting on the fence like I have for quite a while now, I highly recommend this system!

Thumbs up Apple, you made me into a believer ;)

11. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

This will be my first mac product, a 15" MBP!

12. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

GREAT intro post, I'm looking forward to more informed posts from you.

Congrats on your purchase.

regards
    JohnG

13. Whitelightning macrumors regular

If anyone is a PC gfx designer, please say what your going to do about your Adobe suite... gonna stick with windows or switch them to Mac?

14. jakku macrumors newbie

I will buy my first mac tomorrow or friday, but I'm really scary about 13" problems. In my country for electronic products, you can't bring it on for new one for exchange if something wrong. You must use your guarantee and wase your time, when it will be fixed... So I'm very confused about that :( I don't know what to do ? Maby some can help me with this problem ? Give some advices ?

15. waynep macrumors 6502

I got my first Mac Jan 6th, it's the 2010 model. I am totally happy with it. I don't see anything in the new models that I feel like I missed other than the processor, but mine serves my needs great.

16. pctomac2011 macrumors member

Thanks John! :) I have ALOT of learning to do concerning OS X, but this website appears to have a great community so I look forward to learning more and actively participating in discussion.

Cheers ;)

17. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

Waiting for a BTO 15" to arrive.

It's my first MacBook Pro, but it replaces a 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo White MacBook (2008), which was my first Mac.

18. Texasboy956 macrumors newbie

First Mac purchase. Ordered stock 13in. Got shipped out and really excited. Want to beef it up w SDD but don't know what to get

19. Shambles macrumors regular

My 13" MacBook Pro is on the way, replacing my 24" iMac from a couple of years back. So yeah, first MacBook but not my first Mac.

20. pep.pep macrumors member

When I purchase it, yes, it will be my first laptop ever.

Been using an Imac G5 for the past 5 years. I need an update.

21. pctomac2011 macrumors member

Wow. Just wanted to comment quickly on the poll. 65% of those responding are switching from PC to MAC, that is a very huge number IMO.

22. SirStuey macrumors newbie

Yep, 2011 13" MBP is my first Mac ever. Last time I used a mac regularly was back in high school, late 90s, when I used telnet and pine for email.

But by no means am I switching. I just needed a new laptop and liked the build quality and trackpad of the MBP over comparable PC models.

23. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

The 13" MBP that I picked up over the weekend is the first Mac that I have owned (previously been all Dell and HP computers). The transition from Windows to OS X hasn't been too difficult and I have to say that I like everything in OS X a lot more.

24. Ianblackburn thread starter macrumors member

I agree - I think this a general reflection of the "halo" effect from iPhone. Typically MS folk get an iPhone, like what they see, and start buying into the Apple ecosystem. Meanwhile MS are moving slowly and with misguided leadership from Ballmer (IMO). The future is certainly interesting. If Jobs does not come back then Apple might face a less certain future after these current crop of products expire and the inspiration is not there. I heard Johnny Ives also wants to move back to the UK and may leave Apple (perhaps he could head up MS instead LOL).

25. ender land macrumors 6502a

You say that now ^^