How many defective iPod Touch units have you gone through?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gowanis, Jan 4, 2008.

?

how many defective iPod Touch have you had ?

1. None

62 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. One

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Two

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. More Than Two

9 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. gowanis macrumors 6502

Just curious, because I am headed back to the apple store today for what will be my 6th unit (5 defective).

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. gavd macrumors 6502a

Only had one which has had no issues at all. What problems have you been having? Can't believe you've had so many be defective.

4. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

1) Week 37 black screen issue
    2) Bad input Jack (left audio channel cutting out)
    3) Bad screen (flicker/refresh/contrast problem)
    4) Dead Pixels
    5) Constantly reboots in the middle of sync

5. gavd macrumors 6502a

That's some bad luck you've had. Hope number 6 is a good one! :)

6. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. normally i would have given up on a product like this and got something else, but as you know the thing is so damn cool! i will try again. at some point i might be forced to switch to a classic, which would be a shame because the big screen is the main reason i got it - i like to watch movies on the train during my commute.

7. gavd macrumors 6502a

^^ One of the main reasons I got mine was for when I travel with work so I could have the bigger screen. Don't travel a huge amount, but when you do it's nice!

8. godisjustpreten macrumors member

My 5th try was the keeper (week 47). The rest were crap.

9. iwannamac macrumors member

Ditto.

1. Lost audio completely

2. Screen contrast issue

3. Week 47 - everything perfect and jailbroken. Love it, love it, love it!

10. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

11. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

i think part of the problem is that all of my replacements have been week 37 or 38. they TELL me they are not refurbs, but i think they are. this device was clearly not ready for market.

12. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Have you tried to specifically ask for a week 45+ in store when getting the replacement? They may not accomodate you but its worth a shot especially if you explain how many replacements you have gotten already.

13. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

when you get a warranty replacement, it comes in a plain white box. they don't give you a retail box. you keep your box and accessories and just swap the unit. the replacement does come with the plastic cover over the screen and back. i was skeptical when they said these are "new" and not refurbs, but on close inspection the screen and backs appear pristine. i think it would be especially hard to restore a back to pristine condition. apparently they have new ones like this allocated specifically for warranty exchanges.

All I know is my patience is growing thin. I am losing too much time going back to the store. my local store is so crowded all the time that just getting a genius appointment is difficult.

14. godisjustpreten macrumors member

Do not leave the store without getting a brand new *sales stock* replacement. The replacements *are* refurbs. Four Apple employees confirmed this.

15. godisjustpreten macrumors member

They will accommodate him if he demands it. Why should they expect that people should pay $400 for a brand new Touch, only to have to walk out the next day with a refurb one?

16. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

here's the thing... my first bad one (week 37 black screen issue) was purchased at best buy. i returned it to best buy within 30 days. my second one (bad audio jack) worked fine for about 3 months before going bad, so this one and the subsequent ones were all through the apple store (with the replacement coming in that white box). I will be more aggressive tonight, but i'm worried because the problem with my current unit only occurs sporadically so i hope i can reproduce the problem. (it reboots in the middle of sync fairly often but not always, and sometimes gets stuck in an endless reboot loop).

17. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Be pushy and dissapointed but not obnoxious. My GF had an out of warranty 3G replaced with a new 4G because she wouldnt take no for an answer. Again, dont be a crazy screaming customer, just one who is a loyal Apple customer but very dissapointed in your expensive device.

18. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, that's my plan. i will report back later tonite or tomorrow.

19. LordEntropy macrumors regular

My first had a dead section of the screen near the home button so there was no argument there. I was given a replacement that came in a brown box that has a week 45 serial number on the back and on the whole it is fine except for 1 dead pixel which I hardly notice but also it looks like it was assembled by someone with a blindfold on. The chrome back does not align with the bezel correctly and I noticed yesterday that the screen is not entirely level as well. Over most of the screen the glass meets the bezel perfectly but on one edge the glass is definately higher than the bezel.

I wasn't going to bother becasue overall the screen quality etc is v good but a friend did point out that for £269 I should get a device that is as near a perfect and he is right. Not a small amount of money, so if I can get a Genius appointment this week I will go and push for a full retail replacement as this will have been the second one I have returned.

20. deaddisco macrumors newbie

All the talk about defective ipod touch units is really abit of a concern for me. i'm about to get an ipod touch in singapore (where i'm on long vacation at the moment) i'm just worried if i get it here and come week 37 + when i'm back in europe and the ipod touch starts going downhill, i would just left with a defective unit and i heard the warranty's not international...

i travel alot with work and am not based in any country for long periods... i imagine students who study abroad might have the same problems..getting their laptops or ipods at home and using them overseas....

should i get one or not.....:(

21. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

ive only had one and its fine?
    i havent heard of anyone having so many problems though
    SJ doesnt like you...

22. albinoAZN macrumors regular

Open it in the store to make sure there's no immediate problems like negative black and dead pixels.

23. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

OK i'm back.

Even at 7:30pm the Apple store was PACKED. Only one genius on call, and backed up.

Anyway, I explained my problem and told him that this was my 5th bad iPod Touch, and that I wanted a new retail box this time. He called the manager and the manager agreed to give me a new one.

So far so good, screen looks flawless and I transferred my whole library without a problem. My fingers are crossed and I am happy for the moment !

24. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I ran into 6 iPod touch's...
    all got returned
    on my sixth one I contacted a manager through phone, agreed to give me a brand new stock one, and im glad to say its been okay from there. It has one dead pixel, but I can live wit that.