How many DVDs do you have?

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I've recently made it my task to start growing my DVD collection. Previously I only bought one around every 6 months, but I've bought 6 this past month to take my collection to 20 DVD's.

How many do you all have, and how often do you buy them?

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
About 220. I'm buying fewer than I used to and combing through used DVD section now to save money. I used to buy anything new that came out but now I'm more selective. I'm starting to trade in my used DVD's that don't have any re-watch value. Maybe I'll join NetFlix or something.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
erickkoch said:
About 220. I'm buying fewer than I used to and combing through used DVD section now to save money. I used to buy anything new that came out but now I'm more selective. I'm starting to trade in my used DVD's that don't have any re-watch value. Maybe I'll join NetFlix or something.
I would join DVD Unlimited over here (Like Netflix), but I love having the actual DVD and cover to keep. I usually do pick out a movie I buy and watch it 3 or 4 times in a year so I feel its worth buying them.

I usually only get ones that are $12.99 at the Warehouse rather than the $27.99 new releases, and try to pick up at least one a week at the moment.

Today I picked up Meet The Parents, and Just Married for $25.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Somewhere over 200, but a lot of things are packed for moving and I've been using IMDB to sort everything that I remember I have.

I've gotten some good deals but then, I started right around December of 1997 when I first got a multi-disc player to handle both laserdiscs and DVDs.

I have some t.v. box sets like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I've probably got about 200 (that's assuming that the discs in box sets count). Funnily enough, I have the box sets of DS9 and Voyager also, along with most of Buffy. The rest of my collection is mostly movies, and Australian comedy series.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
420, according to Delicious Library. These are all feature films (mostly world/art cinema), bar one music DVD and one documentary.

I usually aim to pick up two or three a month, but invariably buy more. I bought my first DVD player in October 2002, so that works out to an average of nearly ten DVDs per month.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i'm not sure :( i think it's in the 300-400s (if you include the tv boxsets). everything from crappy mainstream hollywood flicks to b&w films from a long time ago, to korean movies. i love my korean movies.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
student_trap said:
so what happens when its time to buy HD DVD/blue ray discs, are we all going to have to re-buy our entire library?
Both formats are designed to be backwards compatible with current DVDs.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
They're just so fragile. As a medium for storage and data, I think they should be more durable. Plus, they're relatively inefficient in terms of how much energy is required to get the data from them. I guess that's why.

Course, the main reason's because I scratch the bastards so easily. :p

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
mad jew said:
They're just so fragile. As a medium for storage and data, I think they should be more durable. Plus, they're relatively inefficient in terms of how much energy is required to get the data from them. I guess that's why.

Course, the main reason's because I scratch the bastards so easily. :p
I can understand where you're coming from. They can be a bit fragile, though I can't say I've ever had any problems with any of mine.

I also assume yours could be susceptible water and sand damage.

;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
mad jew said:
Yeah, maybe I'm just clumsy. :p

Claws don't help either...
Hmm, I need to patent an optical media with scratch resistant surface designed to be handled by claws. I'm gonna be rich.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say I own about 50-60. But with my soon-to-be purchase of the Sony HandyCam, my DVD collection will grow. With home movies of course, but... :D

I tend to get about 2-3 DVDs a month.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I have a grand total of three.

Then again, who needs them if you've got movie networks, a 300GB hard drive and lots of milage still in the ol' VCR? Not to mention my best friend who has 200 odd titles :rolleyes: not to mention BT.... JK!

Actually, my family just got a DVD recorder and player, but that's mostly to record programs onto DVD-RW/RAMs.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
if you count DVDs individually in boxsets... 30?

i really don't watch movies more than say, twice, with a few exceptions.

KappaH

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
I would say my collection is around 120-130ish. I have not bought any new movies in awhile, looks like I'll be stopping by Best Buy this week to check the new stuff out.