How many fingers do you use for typing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Baschdi616, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Baschdi616, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Baschdi616 macrumors newbie

I type with 10 fingers on the PC keyboard, but use my two index finger to type with the iPad. How many fingers do you use?

2. EldoInTheWeeds macrumors member

3. iowamensan macrumors 6502

If I'm holding it, I type with my thumbs. If it is propped in the case on my lap or a desk, I type like I do with any keyboard - with all 10 fingers.

4. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Same here. Im still getting used to it though, not as good on it as i am a regular keyboard :p

5. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Computer - Although I don't type like they teach you I use all ten finger.

iPad - If I have to hold it I use in portrait and use two thumbs. If I can set it down I use landscape and type like a normal keyboard.

7. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Computer, 2 fingers on each hand. iPad, 1 finger on each hand and left thumb.

8. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Computer - all 10

iPad - I type with my stylus; I wish Apple would embrace Swype.

9. Diane B macrumors member

I type on it normally, touch with 10. If I'm holding it I tend to use all 5 on my right hand. I have been using the Apple case dince May and still do when I take the Ipad with me but I bought the Propup and use it at home and like its angle better for typing.

Diane B

10. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Portrait: two thumbs when held, one index finger on desk

Landscape: five fingers on one hand when held, all ten fingers touch typing when on desk

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Physical keyboard - 9 and a half - I tend to use only my right thumb to tap the space key, but occasionary use the left thumb too.

iPad landscape - 8 - I use my index fingers instead of my thumbs to tap the space key.

iPad portrait - not sure, I don't use it enough to have a fixed pattern. I sometimes use my thumbs, sometimes use two or three fingers of my right hand, while holding the iPad with my left.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No, Swype is complete crap. It's good on Android since their default keyboards are complete crap like the OS but it is horribly inefficient on larger screens or phones with really good virtual keyboards like the iPhone. Swyping is slower and more tedious, the only efficiency advantage it has is for longer words which have a higher typo rate than short words. It takes more time and effort to swype short words and ,medium long words than typing them. Tapping the i and t for it takes about half the time it takes to swype them. Our minds are adapted to tapping more often than dragging when typing letters. I hope swype doesn't catch on because we need to be more efficient through better prediction of words we want to type when tapping the first few letters not dragging our finger.

I use every finger except my two pinkies for landscape and every finger except my two rings and pinkies for portrait.

13. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

When I had my iPad I would type with both index fingers and used my thumbs for space bar if it was propped. If I was holding it then all thumbs, but I rarely typed like that.

14. FubsyGamr macrumors regular

If I'm on the computer, I type with all 10.

On the iPad, I'll type with 8 (I basically eliminate my pinkies, as there just isn't room for them there), and my hands move around a bit more.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

On computer I use my thumb for space and fingers for the rest of the keys - the "so called" way to type.

On iPad I type the same way except use my finger for space and my thumbs just twiddle around in the air doing who knows what.

16. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I kind of taught myself to type... so I use all the fingers on my left hand. On my right hand, I use my index finger and my ring finger once in a blue moon.

17. Squadleader macrumors regular

18. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Holding it 2 hands=thumbs
    Holding it one hand=5 fingers
    Propped up=10 fingers like regular keyboard

19. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

20. elmo151 Guest

21. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

If typing with one hand, then I tend to only use my index and middle finger, with my thumb for the space. But I use 6 fingers and both my thumbs when typing with both hands. I don't know why, but I don't like to use my pinkies for typing (even with a real keyboard).

22. Battlestar macrumors 6502

Hold it in portrait and use your thumbs. The iPad is the ultimate device for texting.

23. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

nine. i do not think i ever use my left thumb, even on a keyboard.

24. southernpaws macrumors 6502

In landscape I type normally (the Mavis beacon way!)

The biggest thing is to trust your typing ability and, to a lesser extent, the autocorrect. Force yourself to watch the screen and not the keyboard and eventually typing will be a dream